Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GC-Thunderbolt 2 PCIe Expansion Cards Now Available for X99 Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this board today, works fine in Windows but OS X doesn't see it. SysInfo gives "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded." (The kext's are present.)

There's some BIOS settings I'll fiddle with, but I've already tried a few and still no love.

And yes, it's for x99 GIGABYTE's only and requires a jumper from the MB.

EDIT: DisplayPort video works fine, but I think that's just a pass through if the card's powered.

What system definition are you using? Mac Pro earlier than 6,1 doesn't support TB so you will see that message. I experienced this with my old z77 board and changed my definition to the latest iMac and TB worked.

I also remember that in some instances, you have to have a TB device plugged in at boot in order for the drivers to load. This also caused hot plug and play to not work either, but TB would work as long as the device was connected at boot.

I got this board today, works fine in Windows but OS X doesn't see it. SysInfo gives "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded." (The kext's are present.)

There's some BIOS settings I'll fiddle with, but I've already tried a few and still no love.

And yes, it's for x99 GIGABYTE's only and requires a jumper from the MB.

EDIT: DisplayPort video works fine, but I think that's just a pass through if the card's powered.

It doesn't work because Apple's TB interface has some type of security that requires handshaking. You can make it work if you take your TB device and connect it in Windows and trust the device so the TB chip remembers what DeviceID is allowed to connect. Then you boot back into OSX and the TB device will show up.

It doesn't work because Apple's TB interface has some type of security that requires handshaking. You can make it work if you take your TB device and connect it in Windows and trust the device so the TB chip remembers what DeviceID is allowed to connect. Then you boot back into OSX and the TB device will show up.

WTF?!

Can someone please confirm this??!! I know plenty of folks using TB Hackintosh systems in MAJOR studios and haven't heard anything remotely close to what you just said, or anything even resembling the hoop jumping that you're implying is required for TB to function on a Hackintosh system.

If what you say is true, it could change a lot for future purchases. Out of curiosity, is what you refer to only applying to TBII and not original TB, or are you saying it applies to both?? Because I used a UA Apollo TB system the other day on a Hackintosh and didn't have to do anything . . just booted up, started Pro Tools 11|HD, fired up the Apollo, and off we went. No "DeviceID trust issues" or hot device booting.

I ain't calling you a liar my friend, just trying to understand what components you were working with that made you jump through such hoops so I can avoid, or further research them myself before diving into another Hackintosh build with TB/TBII.

MacPro6,1

Tried having a device plugged in, OK'ing it in Windows first, making sure it's plugged in at boot, and all the various BIOS settings. Show some signs of life at boot, but System Information says "No drivers are loaded." Have a feeling it's checking some HW ID or something and refusing to load the drivers because of that.

Code:
Jan 26 10:46:33 Hacky.local configd[26]:   MacPro6,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/BR2A@2/IOPP/H000@0/IOPP/pci-bridge@0/IOPP/pci8086,156c@0/AppleThunderboltHAL [1, 61955 ms]
Jan 26 10:46:33 Hacky.local configd[26]:   MacPro6,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/BR2A@2/IOPP/H000@0/IOPP/pci-bridge@0/IOPP/pci8086,156c@0/AppleThunderboltHAL/AppleThunderboltNHIType2 [1, 61954 ms]
Jan 26 10:46:33 Hacky.local configd[26]:   MacPro6,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/BR2A@2/IOPP/H000@0/IOPP/pci-bridge@0/IOPP/pci8086,156c@0/AppleThunderboltHAL/AppleThunderboltNHIType2/IOThunderboltController [1, 61954 ms]
Jan 26 10:46:33 Hacky.local configd[26]:   MacPro6,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/BR2A@2/IOPP/H000@0/IOPP/pci-bridge@0/IOPP/pci8086,156c@0/AppleThunderboltHAL/AppleThunderboltNHIType2/IOThunderboltController/IOThunderboltPort [!registered, !matched, 1, 61954 ms]

WTF?!

Can someone please confirm this??!! I know plenty of folks using TB Hackintosh systems in MAJOR studios and haven't heard anything remotely close to what you just said, or anything even resembling the hoop jumping that you're implying is required for TB to function on a Hackintosh system.

If what you say is true, it could change a lot for future purchases. Out of curiosity, is what you refer to only applying to TBII and not original TB, or are you saying it applies to both?? Because I used a UA Apollo TB system the other day on a Hackintosh and didn't have to do anything . . just booted up, started Pro Tools 11|HD, fired up the Apollo, and off we went. No "DeviceID trust issues" or hot device booting.

I ain't calling you a liar my friend, just trying to understand what components you were working with that made you jump through such hoops so I can avoid, or further research them myself before diving into another Hackintosh build with TB/TBII.

I believe new type is correct at least from what I have read on the forums here at Tonymac. Its actually a well documented issue that I have little doubt you can find if you did a search.

If you have a different experience with Hackintosh and Thunderbolt I / II, I would have to ask if you were connecting and swapping Thunderbolt devices with the system on and not requiring a reboot,.....?

Hi,
I have a Gigabyte x99 ud5 with a 5960x and just purchased the gigabyte thunderbolt card. Windows sees the card. I can't boot
Os-x (10.9.5) if the card is enabled in the bios. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,
I have a Gigabyte x99 ud5 with a 5960x and just purchased the gigabyte thunderbolt card. Windows sees the card. I can't boot
Os-x (10.9.5) if the card is enabled in the bios. Any ideas?

Thanks

Here is a good detailed rundown of all the hoops Boomr went through to get the Asus version working. Not sure if this translates well to Gigabyte but he notes a specific sequence to get Windows configured, specific PCI slots that work, and some BIOS options. Perhaps see if any of this helps:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...pansion-card-testing-thread-3.html#post912116

I'm pretty sure one of the critical steps is to make sure the BIOS option for Thunderbolt security level is set to "Legacy Only".

Also, please note if you are using Clover or Chimera. Not sure if there is a dependency there. Thanks to all how are giving this a try. I have a store credit from Newegg that expires in another 30 days so waiting to see if this is worth getting.

To those with issues where devices aren't showing up as Thunderbolt devices in the system report: I'm running a Z77 based system, with integrated Thunderbolt. Devices don't show up as Thunderbolt connected in the system report, but they do show up elsewhere in the system report and work correctly. The only issue is they don't hot-swap and must be connected at boot to be recognised.

I'm running an iMac 13,2 system definition.

Mac Pro earlier than 6,1 doesn't support TB ... I experienced this with my old z77 board and changed my definition to the latest iMac and TB worked.
I've a Z77X-UP5TH and I can't see any TB devices but I've configured Mac Pro3,1 in system definitions.
Can I only change the system definitions to iMac 13,2 w/o any other changes in MultiBeast?
Thx for reply. Bye iBrezel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back