Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am looking for a future proof portable motherboard with Thunderbolt 3 (to use in Windows, and hopefully OSX once Apple supports it), but really in need of getting the rig as soon as possible. I've taken a look at the Gigabyte-Z170X-UD5 TH, but it is ATX, and I would really prefer getting a mATX one.

I've also noticed that Gigabyte has a Thunderbolt 3 AIC: GC-ALPINE RIDGE.
I've never seen it mentioned in the forums. Has anyone tried it out?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5906#ov

In particular, I want to use it with the Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5, to achieve a balance between footprint and features.

Hi all,

I am looking for a future proof portable motherboard with Thunderbolt 3 (to use in Windows, and hopefully OSX once Apple supports it), but really in need of getting the rig as soon as possible. I've taken a look at the Gigabyte-Z170X-UD5 TH, but it is ATX, and I would really prefer getting a mATX one.

I've also noticed that Gigabyte has a Thunderbolt 3 AIC: GC-ALPINE RIDGE.
I've never seen it mentioned in the forums. Has anyone tried it out?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5906#ov

In particular, I want to use it with the Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5, to achieve a balance between footprint and features.

You probably aren't going to find an mATX motherboard with Thunderbolt, unfortunately; that seems to be a feature that's been reserved for the highest-end ATX boards, across all manufacturers, with very few exceptions. Though that seems to be changing.

The GC-Alpine Ridge can only be added to "Thunderbolt-ready" motherboards, that is, motherboards with a Thunderbolt header. And you're in luck; the GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 has the "Thunderbolt™ add-in card connector" listed in its specs.

Does anyone know where to find the GC-ALPINE RIDGE for sale? I can't find it anywhere.
I have a GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 system and want to get one to drive the new LG UltraFine 5k Display.
Looking to upgrade my 1440p screen to retina.
I'm going to visit MicroCenter and see if they can special order it.
Actually, some of the MoBos do have TB enabled for existing USB-C ports via firmware update:
Z170X-Gaming G1
Z170X-Gaming GT
Z170X-Gaming 7
http://www.gigabyte.com/mb/thunderbolt3/overview

Last edited:
The Alpine Ridge card is not in stock at any of the big vendors. NCIX told me they waiting to receive stock but have no idea when.

In other words, the card is as scarce as hens teeth.*

Probably the most future proof Z170 motherboard out there right now is the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare. Yes, it is ATX, but it has two USB-C/TB3 ports, M.2, U.2, DDR4/4000 and a slew of PCIe slots, one of which is x4 for a PCIe SSD or the Alpine Ridge card (should it actually ship), 2 PCIe x16 for x8/x8 SLI (Windows-only).

Also, Gigabyte, like many other manufacturers, will be supporting Kaby Lake CPUs (BIOS support is currently in beta).

I like the mATX size as well, but in this case, it might not be the best choice. Are you after portability or just a small footprint?

Hey guys I've got a

GA-Z170X Ultra Gaming
i7-6700k
64gb ram
1080ti

I have the onboard port working and just got the alpine ridge finally but for what ever reason I can't get the card to work. I got it into a GA-Z170X-UD5 and was able to update the firmware to 21 but it will not show up in this build. Do I need to update the firmware of the built in thunderbolt? I mean this board has the header and even has the "skipPCIoption Rom" in the BIOS, which is disabled now..... doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Hey guys I've got a

GA-Z170X Ultra Gaming
i7-6700k
64gb ram
1080ti

I have the onboard port working and just got the alpine ridge finally but for what ever reason I can't get the card to work. I got it into a GA-Z170X-UD5 and was able to update the firmware to 21 but it will not show up in this build. Do I need to update the firmware of the built in thunderbolt? I mean this board has the header and even has the "skipPCIoption Rom" in the BIOS, which is disabled now..... doesn't make sense.

UPDATE: So in windows devices show up attached to the Alpine Ridge but will not mount in OSX. I saw someone else had a similar issue and solved it with disabling TBT 3.1 Force Power but this board does not have that option.

hello, so do you guys figure it out? i have the same mobo GA-Z170x Ultra gaming and starting to installing it today and im just asking if its working for you.... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back