Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt 3 Card in Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 + i7-8700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops.. yes cross message :)

I have attached an Apple thunderbolt display on 1 TH3 port via th2 adapter. I then daisy chained two more storage devices from display. One thing I just found out, since the SSDT the audio and camera is not working anymore. It was working without the SSDT even though the hot swap and pcie info was not working. I think in the SSDT these two devices needs to be enabled. Do you know how that can be done? I will do a bit more search as well.
When I go home this evening I'll take a look at the SSDT. It can be a little tricky to modify...

@nhasan77 How did you install the Windows driver? I have set the BIOS to "No security" and Force Power "Enabled"... Still not working :(
Can you post a screenshot of the available settings?

Yes that's windows part for installation. To enable Thunderbolt Display on windows I had to do the steps I mentioned above. This also enabled the thunderbolt display and storage on Mac side for me.

If you do not have that then please neglect.

Sorry, now I do not understand... .msi is for Windows, isn't it? I do not have a Windows partition... Only OSX
When you asked in Post #19, "How did you install the Windows driver?" we all assumed you had a dual boot system with Windows and MacOS. We cannot use Windows drivers on Mac.

Some people have found it helpful to initialize the GC-Alpine Ridge card in Windows first. And then use it in MacOS.

However, Gigabyte boards with built-in Thunderbolt are easier to configure and do not need Windows. If you have Thunderbolt 1 and 2 devices, there are Gigabyte 170 and 270 series cards with built-in Alpine Ridge controllers.

But if you have UAD Thunderbolt 2 and 3 devices, the newer Titan Ridge will work perfectly. The Designare Z390, for example, is extremely compatible with UAD devices.

---

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 with Intel 5th and 6th Gen CPUs
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-UD5-TH-rev-10#ov
One user has successfully tested Thunderbolt 3 on his Hackintosh using GA-Z170X-UD5. He is encountering some random crashes that might be due to power supply or certain Apps. You may search for his user name and follow his posts.

Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 with Intel 6th and 7th Gen CPUs
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-UD5-rev-10#sp
@yuhungry has built a Hackintosh with this board. See some details here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/thunderbolt-3-not-showing-up-in-ga-z270x-ud5.269232/

Last edited:
When you asked in Post #19, "How did you install the Windows driver?" we all assumed you had a dual boot system with Windows and MacOS. We cannot use Windows drivers on Mac.

@CaseySJ Sorry, I thought the drivers will be of use for OSX somehow... My bad!

But if you have UAD Thunderbolt 2 and 3 devices, the newer Titan Ridge will work perfectly. The Designare Z390, for example, is extremely compatible with UAD devices.

So, am I understanding you right that a GC-Titan Ridge card will work well with my Z370 Aorus MoBo? Or did you mean that I have to go for another MoBo anyways, e.g. Designare Z390?

After the installation of drivers in windows 10 I never needed the windows partition again. In fact I scrapped my windows disk many times and the thunderbolt devices were working all fine, albeit without the hot swap.

So maybe if you wanna try something why not install a windows disk (you can use evaluation version of windows) and install drivers and see. May not work but worth a try?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back