Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H / Yosemite 10.10.4 / Clover - Constant Freeze/Crash Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
I7 4790K 4.0G 8M
Graphics
ASUS Radeon RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Everyone,

I'm quite new to Hackintosh, but not to computers so figured I'd give it a go. About a month ago I built my system and have been tinkering ever since. I've gone through the multibeast installation originally, but that caused hard crashes nearly instantaneously, so after much more reading decided to go to Clover instead.

I'm still experiencing the random crashes. Sometimes, the system is stable for a little while, other times it will crash right away. Sometimes it will completely hard freeze, and I have to press the power button. Sometimes, it will freeze, but my music keeps playing. Sometimes, the screen will start showing odd colors (black windows, or any new windows appear black).

I've spent a lot of time already on trying out different options, and have decided it was time to turn to the community for help.

SYSTEM INFO WHEN BOOTED

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 6.18.14 PM.png

THINGS I'VE DONE IN BIOS

• Change BIOS to system defaults
  • Modified BIOS to Disable Onboard Video

OTHER THINGS I'VE TRIED IN BIOS

• Change Memory Freq between default, and profile 1 ( 1333, 1666 mhz)
  • XHCI modes between 'smart auto' and 'auto'
  • Change BIOS to enable EHCI Hand off (also tried off)

OTHER THINGS I'VE TRIED

• Upon initial install, I didn't have 'NVidia = true' and 'Intel = false' in config.plist. Changed.
  • Boot without caches, and the problem actually seems a bit worse when I do this.
  • Using kext wizard to rebuilt the kext cache.
  • Using default video drivers, or the nvidia provided ones.

THINGS I'VE NOTICED

• CPU and MEM temperature, speed, etc all seem fine.
  • The crashes don't seem consistent at all, in that sometimes they happen right away, other times they won't come until i've been up and doing something for a while.
  • It *may* be related to network usage? A few times now I would boot up and not do anything network aware and it would be fine, but then once I started listening to some online radio, it'd crash. I also notice that when i start dropbox, it will usually crash shortly thereafter (if there's files to sync).
  • Sometimes it seems like a video card issue in that is just changes windows to black screens, and anything new that appears on the screen is all black as well.
  • The crashes are usually similar (a few of them are attached below).
  • Sometimes it follows a sleep / wake or shortly after, othertimes not so I do not think it's a power mgmt option.
  • Sometimes it will boot up, let me login, then immediately reboot itself with no kernel panic or message upon reboot.
  • Sometimes it will boot up, barely let me login, reboot itself, boot into clover + os, then allow me to login and it'll work for a while then crash or black screen/windows again.
  • It also seems to crash when I insert USB drives sometimes, but not all the time.
  • Sometimes it will work for a very long while (45 minutes to a few hours) other times it'll crash right away and then become highly unstable thereafter and unpredictable.

MY HARDWARE

• GA-Z97X-UD5H MB (BIOS V. F9)
  • I7 4790K 4.0G 8M CPU
  • EVGA GeForce GT 740 2048 MB
  • MEM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 16 GB
  • MAIN HD - Samsung EVO 250GB
  • MEDIA HD - Seagate 1 TB
  • DVD R/W - ST1000DM003-1ER162
  • MOUSE - Logitech MU-00007 USB
  • KEY - MS Natural 4000 USB
  • CORSAIR CASE/PSU

HOW I BUILT THE SYSTEM

1. HDD's are plugged into onboard, not the marvell chipsets on the motherboard.
  2. Ram are in proper spots
  3. I researched and found two tutorials on how to install Clover on this particular motherboard. I tried the other one I found not listed here, and it caused issues with a bunch of things and different freezes, so I switched to another one I found instead and it seemed much cleaner so I've stuck with this.
  4. I followed The Default TonyMacX86 Clover Guide and, in conjunction with that I also followed this tutorial, noting these specific steps that may/may not be different from the original installation tutorial. I used /u/snbd889's post SNBD889'S Video Editing Build which was compatible with my specific motherboard so I have been basing everything off of this. I did not have to make any modifications from this tutorial, just read carefully to use this tutorial for sub-step 17, and sub-steps 20 through 26.
  5. This worked, and everything was installed. I tested it out for an hour or two and then got a freeze, oh no!
  6. So, then I applied the 10.10.4 update, expecting it to fix itself. Then got another freeze a nother hour or so after that.
  7. Following this, I assumed it may be a video issue because of NVDA problems in the kernel panic log. So, I went ahead, and installed the Nvidia 346.01.03f01 drivers on the system, and rebooted when prompted.
  8. I now saw proper video card information in apple -> about this mac. I check the preferences pane, and see that nvidia is there, and the drivers are selected properly. This works fine for a while, then CRASH.
  9. I have also installed toleda's audio patch to get audio working along with this config.plist change which was needed too (works).

ATTACHMENTS

I also have attached my config.plist, along with a few of my crash logs reported incase anyone has any 'uhm yeah you dummy do this and it's fixed' ideas lol :)

Thanks

Attachments

• crash2.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 190
  • config.plist
    4.1 KB · Views: 262
  • crash3.txt
    7.2 KB · Views: 173
  • crash1.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 217
  • video1.txt
    8 KB · Views: 164
Just off the top of my head looking at your About this Mac grab your GPU doesn't appear to be recognized correctly as it's showing 0 mb. I'd recheck the Clover instructions on your install.

your GPU doesn't appear to be recognized correctly as it's showing 0 mb.

Sorry, posted the older screengrab - this seems to be dependant on if i boot with nvidia drivers, or with system drivers. If system, it doesnt' show correctly, but with Nvidia it does show 2048mb as it should. Good catch though!

have you got Nvidia set to inject with clover?

then change it to not inject nvidia I'm pretty sure with that card you don't need to inject

Since the 740 is supported natively in OS X you shouldn't need the Nvidia web drivers to have it reported correctly.

Interesting. Well, I just did a little bit of testing.

I went back again, and did a reset on the bios to defaults, and then enabled EHCI Hand off and disabled onboard video.

Then, booted back into OS-X, and took this screengrab, which shows the configuration (as well, as everything i have in /EFI should that help).

Screen Shot 2015-07-11 at 2.31.26 AM.png

So, wasn't working. I did a bit of googling and found this thread, saying to disable NVidia injection in the config.plist, and reboot. I did that, and then here are the results;

Screen Shot 2015-07-11 at 2.42.12 AM.png

I have not installed the CUDA drivers, so not sure if this is why ECC isn't working, or if it's just not working all together, but about this mac is at least correct now.

it's using the nvidia web drivers right now.

EDIT:

just after posting this, it hadn't crashed yet so I started opening things (affinity designer, photoshop, iterm2) in quick succession. It then went back to the login screen, i typed my password and logged in, then it automatically loaded the desktop for a second, and went back to the login screen. Then i was able to login again, and now it's frozen.

load your Config.plist up using Clover Configurator then untick inject nvidia save then reboot and see if that fixes your graphics issue

load your Config.plist up using Clover Configurator then untick inject nvidia save then reboot and see if that fixes your graphics issue

Yup, just did that in the edit of the post above.

What's weird is, it was still crashing on using the Nvidia web drivers. These reported: 2047 mb video ram on 'about this mac'

So, I switched those off in preferences pane, and then restarted, and now the sys info is reported normally @ 2048 mb;

Screen Shot 2015-07-11 at 2.56.54 AM.png

The graphics issue, seems fixed -- aka: turn off nvidia inject in config.plist, disable nvidia web drivers.

But, pretty sure it's still crashing / automatically rebooting occassionally... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back