Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H Product SMBIOS Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Rog STRIX Z370-H
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I hear if you use the safe Mac3,1 you might not get all the special kernel optimizations that where put into OSX as the years have gone by. For those of you who have this board, and a i7 Chip what are you using?

This quote was taken from the iMessage thread..

"System Type & SMBIOS

Its very important that you match the 'System Type' to the PC hardware you have in your hackingtosh for maximum system stability and performance.

If your not sure which System Type to use, download and install MAC Tracker ... compare the hardware of the various Apple Model types with the CPU and Motherboard chipset generation you are using, don't worry too much about the video type as you can override this using Boot-Loader options. Whats important is to try and match the CPU and Chipset as close as possible. OSX internal optimisations for Ivy & Haswell CPU based systems will only be activated if using the correct System Type .

Although many OSX Hardware build guides recommend using Mac Pro 3,1 because its considered 'safe' it can cause issues with iMessage because it has a 11 digit S/N - which in-turn can effect the MLB value.

OSX look's at your hardware and compares the System Type ID with your internal hardware in order to optimise some OSX kernel features. EG you have a Haswell Z87 Based system but are using Mac Pro 3,1 which is pre Sandy Bridge Architecture ... in some cases this seems to cause issues with certain system values. Mac Pro 3,1 was discontinued in 2009 making its hardware specification over 5 years old - in PC technology terms this is light years."

Any thoughts? looking at http://www.mactracker.ca/ a i7 4790K is used in the latest 2014 iMacs which would be iMac15,1 ?

Anyhow just asking

Hey!

Today i started asking me the same question and stumbled over your post.
I've got the same Board with a i5 4690K, but iMac 15,1 is still the nearest fit so i gave it a try.

Can't tell a single difference, everything works fine and my geekbench score stays exactly the same.

Next up: Get iMessage working... :D

PS: I had to disable Intel Graphics in BIOS to get this working because i'm using my Geforce GT640 instead.

Yea I'm sticking with the current Mac version I have. I have been running it for a week or so now w/o any foreseen issues. Of course It could be if I changed it to Mac x.x it starts to work twice as fast :) j/k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back