Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - Thunderbolt 2.0 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone confirm if UA apollo sound card works with this board before i finally make the jump?

Oh wow!!

I'm about to try this fix out and will report my findings..

Thanks!!!!

EDIT: I LOVE YOU It WORKED!! THANKS x10000000000!!!

I'm glad it worked for you. After a few days of use, I will say that I should revise my "working fine" to "mostly works fine".

Seems like a certain combination of activities (syncing an iPhone connected to a display USB port while playing music to the display speakers) sometimes causes the additional devices on the Thunderbolt display to stop working correctly. I have not sorted this out.

Also, hitting the brightness adjustment keys on the keyboard seems to cause the display to go black, and sometimes it does not come back until the machine is powered all the way off. I have no idea what's going on here either.

But I figured I would temper my original optimism that I had everything working on the Thunderbolt Display completely and correctly. Like a lot of things "Hackintosh" it seems to be about 95% fine.

I'll keep tinkering... or sell the damn Thunderbolt display on Craigslist.:(

can anyone confirm if UA apollo sound card works with this board before i finally make the jump?

Hello

Apollo Twin + Octo Card both work using this board.

Hello

Apollo Twin + Octo Card both work using this board.

thanks for the input, i have the apollo quad with tb expansion, although the asus z97 gryphon quite picked my interest as it's a mITX format with a thunderbolt option, which i heavily researched as well. it has the same tb controller chip as the ud 7 th one so my guess is it will also be compatible?

i bought the board because of future proof so faar i have not testet the thunderbold but i did have installed win first and update all drivers.

so far i use the tosh only as rendering engine which i control using my mbp 15 retina via gigabit ethernet.

and then i found this

http://www.macworld.com/article/2142073/connecting-two-macs-using-thunderbolt.html

has anybody the time to try it out ?

right now i cant chance the system because it runs 24/7 under load

thank you very much

i bought the board because of future proof so faar i have not testet the thunderbold but i did have installed win first and update all drivers.

so far i use the tosh only as rendering engine which i control using my mbp 15 retina via gigabit ethernet.

and then i found this

http://www.macworld.com/article/2142073/connecting-two-macs-using-thunderbolt.html

has anybody the time to try it out ?

right now i cant chance the system because it runs 24/7 under load

thank you very much

Thunderbolt networking is still having issues, according to the guys at creativecow. If you need high-speed production-ready interconnect, go 10GbE.

Thanks. Not hotswapping; using lacie TB drive and cable that work in my macbook pro. Are there any settings on the board itself that I might have set wrong - dip switches, turbo-buttons?

Just as a follow-up to my earlier problem with Thunderbolt. Turns out I had a bad motherboard- RMA'd it; got it back a couple of days ago and everything seems to be working fine now, including Thunderbolt ports!

Thanks all.

John

FWIW, my experience has been similar to Palagius. I had figured out that removing ExpressCard.menu would fix the SystemUIServer crashes. But I've also found that the devices attached to the TBD will stop working after a while (if indeed they were working in the first place).

I'm running Mavericks 10.9.4 on a ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac motherboard with an onboard BCM94352HMB combo card for WiFi and Bluetooth, which can be made to work under OS X. The WiFi is pretty reliable, but the Bluetooth occasionally stops working properly and needs a reboot or two to come right. The video from my GTX 670 comes through the TBD at boot time once I've rebooted, but not from a cold boot. Fortunately the motherboard has two TB2 ports, so I can run the TBD off one and my other TB devices off the other. And of course sleep doesn't work, but then does it ever? ;)

So yes, if anyone can figure out how to make the TBD on-board camera and audio work reliably, I'd love to know about it.

I know this thread is old, but I decided to answer this since I was able to fix the disappearing icons on my Thunderbolt build. I'm slightly off-topic here, as I am using a GA-Z87X-UD5 TH board which is Thunderbolt 1 rather than Thunderbolt 2.

My config:
Z87X-UD5 TH
Just Integrated 4600 graphics
Apple Thunderbolt Display 27"

I had to do the annoying Windows install first to have the link negotiation on the Thunderbolt side behave correctly, after which the Apple Thunderbolt Display would work correctly even during system POST. I did set the link negotiation to Legacy in the BIOS.

All the ports and whatnot on the ATD work correctly. The FaceTime camera, the USB and Firewire ports, and audio are all working fine.

I removed the kext for NHI, and like for everyone that fixed the slow boots. I did still have the disappearing / reappearing icons and clock on the menubar, which was maddening. I Googled a good bit and found many threads reporting the problem and none fixing it. It's worth noting that the icons disappearing isn't the whole problem--it's just a symptom. Those helper apps are actually not running, so for example when the Spotlight icon is missing you cannot use command-space to search for something--the applet that provides that shortcut is not running.

Checking the system log showed that com.apple.SystemUIServer.agent was segfaulting every time it started. Further was the data point cited by others that there is no dynamic TB device enumeration or access going on... OSX just sees the downstream devices as PCI devices connected via a bridge that it evidently decides is ExpressCard. Based on those nuggets, I decided to delete the ExpressCard (and actually two others I didn't care about) menu helper apps.

I did the following:
Code:
sudo su -
mkdir /tmp/moved_helpers/
cd "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/"
cp -R ExpressCard.menu Ink.menu IrDA.menu /tmp/moved_helpers/
rm -Rf ExpressCard.menu Ink.menu IrDA.menu

What this did was delete those helpers from being loaded. Within ten seconds of doing the removal all the icons showed up and I have had correct behavior from everything on the menubar. I see the AirPlay icon and it shows a local AppleTV, etc. etc.

I suspect a lot of people are having this pain point if they are using a Thunderbolt Display because they are building a Hackintosh to replace a Mac Mini that Apple is evidently not ever going to update. I may cross-post this somewhere else in Post Installation in the hopes it'll be useful to others.

Cheers.

Hi all, I'm building a hackintosh with the gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7 and all works nice. The thunderbolt disks are working and also the thunderbolt screen options, even the firewire. Only after deleting the .kext i had a panic start-up screen., just starting with -x in safe mode and all was oke.
The only problem what i have now is that my screen stay's blacked out. This also happens in windows and I have no clue how to solve this. Is there anyone here with a solution?

Also the bluethooth is not working or seen by either windows or osx.

Greetings, Koert
(Netherlands)

:: UPDATE ::

Didn't connect the thunderbolt to the motherboard in the first place. Noob mistake by not connecting anything to the motherboard, didn't have any video configuration this way.

Tip - follow the build from pixelstand http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...h-install-outline-test-file-copy-results.html and then the genzai's instal outline.

Everything works now - also on windows. (besides the bluethooth)

I need Mountain Lion on this board.

I was following pixel stand's and genzaii's, here: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - Install Outline, Test: File Copy Result, step by step.
Installing Mountain Lion, I'm only able to go to the lion if on the "boot" line -x -v and GraphicsEnabler=No.
I could fix GraphicsEnabler, but never being able to get to the system without -x (safe boot).
I was getting error not finding /var/db/... OSX Unknown,..

Mavericks works fine.

Any Idea? I spend 3 days trying to find some lead.,...

:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back