Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - Thunderbolt 2.0 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just updated this build (still my main rig) to Sierra running a Radeon HD 7970- FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and FakePCIID.kext still working for full USB3 support.

Interesting tidbit- Thunderbolt 2.0 ports are now showing in System Profiler > Thunderbolt. :geek::ugeek::thumbup:

View attachment 212407 View attachment 212408

Thats awesome, I'm still on the same board and its working fine. I skipped ElCap and stayed on Yosemite until Sierra.
Now I want to upgrade from GTX 760 to RX480, but not sure whether it is worth a hassle and just go with GTX 1060.
AMD has a bit more potential with DX12 but no one knows which one will be supported.

Hi, what's the status today on TB? I would like to use Thunderbolt music gear, would that work?

I'm sure it is required still, although i don't have a fresh Z87X board to test. Sierra running great on this rig. :thumbup:
Hey Tony,
What else did you have to do, if anything? I have several Z97X-UD7 TH systems, which should be very similar to the Z87X you have as far as TB (certainly the same TB controller anyway) but these ports do not show up with 10.12 (or any other OS for that matter). Ports still work per usual restrictions but I would love to see them pop up in system profile and probe things further from there.
g\

Just updated this build (still my main rig) to Sierra running a Radeon HD 7970- FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and FakePCIID.kext still working for full USB3 support.

Interesting tidbit- Thunderbolt 2.0 ports are now showing in System Profiler > Thunderbolt. :geek::ugeek::thumbup:
Sorry for bringing back such an old post,but:

could you please share the files and modifications you use to get it work as posted in your screenshot... to get Thunderbolt recognized within System Profiler. would make my system one step further to "neaarly perfect". Thx. in advance.

Hi Tony,
I have the same Mobo on my rig (ga z87x ud7 th) under el capitan but i have problem with USB3.0 (not recognized)
Can you explain how to solve this problem ?
Thank you in advance

OK, new year, new board! The Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH is now out- the first Gigabyte board certified with "Falcon Ridge" Thunderbolt 2.0. The Thunderbolt chip is the same chip as is currently shipping with the Mac Pro. We've been testing for the past few days, and have the following to report so far. For now it looks like we at least have similar functionality to Thunderbolt 1.0 (ie, the Z77X-UP5-TH).

Test Equipment:
  • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - using integrated HD 4600 Graphics
  • Intel Core i7-4770K
  • 16GB 1600 RAM
  • Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt SATA adapter with 60GB SSD
  • Apple Thunderbolt/Firewire adapter
  • Apple Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter
  • Generic Mini-DP to DVI adapter

Setup Notes:
  • Set UEFI to Optimized Defaults
  • Set Peripherals > Thunderbolt to Security Level: Legacy Mode
  • Many more Thunderbolt options in UEFI- more testing needed

What is working:
  • All Thunderbolt devices appear in System Profiler as PCI Card > Expresscard when plugged at boot.
  • Both Thunderbolt ports work as Mini-DP Intel HD 4600 graphics ports with hotswap
  • Hotswapping devices doesn't freeze system, as it sometimes did with Thunderbolt 1.0, however menu is misidentified as Base System Peripheral:

View attachment 78402

IMPORTANT NOTE: You may be required to boot into Windows and install Thunderbolt Firmware Drivers located here in order to initiate Thunderbolt functionality- more testing needed.

What is NOT working:
  • Systemwide Native Thunderbolt recognition
  • Full reliable Eject/Hotswap support

We'll be working on DSDT injects/renames and fixes to match file dumps from the 2013 MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. Hopefully we can get this all working well! If you have any comments or questions, add them here!

View attachment 78397
GA-Z87X-UD7-TH ALC 898 2x HDMI
2x Thunderbolt 2.0
Intel i210 + i217V Amazon Newegg

Helpful Links:

Official Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH page

And... about thunderbolt 3 2nd gen. on mobo z170x... do you have any topic? Work all perfectly but pci doesn't work...

PCIe doesn't works? Elaborate please....
TXN
Internal pcie cards don't work, but I haven't hardware thunderbolt testing. Usb 3.1 work well.. Is it cosmetic view? thundetbolt3.png

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0-series-system-profiler.221572/#post-1499607

You know, that was the case for me for a while too in Sierra but right now (10.12.5), I'm seeing "No drivers are loaded". I also can't get my thunderbolt to firewire to work right now, even though I see a Thunderbolt drive if attached at boot time....

I'm trying to get my legacy Motu firewire audio device to be working again and not quite sure if its a Motu audio driver thing or a Thunderbolt to Firewire thing.... Anybody know if anything changed recently in the OS which would cause this?

You know, that was the case for me for a while too in Sierra but right now (10.12.5), I'm seeing "No drivers are loaded". I also can't get my thunderbolt to firewire to work right now, even though I see a Thunderbolt drive if attached at boot time....

I'm trying to get my legacy Motu firewire audio device to be working again and not quite sure if its a Motu audio driver thing or a Thunderbolt to Firewire thing.... Anybody know if anything changed recently in the OS which would cause this?

The FireWire adapter probably has to be connected to the Hackintosh before starting up. Are you doing that? The FireWire cable can be hot plugged whenever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back