Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - Install Outline, Test: File Copy Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Thunderbolt ports are not locked, they just don't have sufficiently up-to-date firmware to operate with a Hackintosh running MacOS.

A linux user would not necessarily depend on the same rev of firmware to operate properly as Mac OS does.

A Mac Pro selection implies a Xeon CPU. A iMac 14,2 selection, IIRC, implies a Haswell CPU. This is closer to the reality of the box and does make a difference in some cases.

A Mac Pro selection implies a Xeon CPU. A iMac 14,2 selection, IIRC, implies a Haswell CPU. This is closer to the reality of the box and does make a difference in some cases.
I selected mac pro 3.1... So can I undo my multi beast pro selection and change it without any issue? how would i go about changing it?

I think you can change it with multi beast, but I was uncertain how to avoid changing anything else, so I just edit the text file where the information is stored.

If you can edit a text file, you can fix it.

First use a code editor (not MS Word or similar). For things like this Text Edit will work fine, so long as it saves in plain text mode.

The information is in a file at /Extra/smbios.plist. Open the system drive at the root where you will find the /Extra folder. Open it an drag the smbios.plist to Text Edit.

If for some reason Text Edit will not cooperate you can use the terminal:
sudo nano /Extra/smbios.plist
Which will launch a simple editor (<control>O<return><control>X to save and exit after making your changes.
If that proves daunting, you can try:
sudo open /Extra/smbios.plist
Which will bring it up in whatever editor Mac OS X thinks appropriate for plists. (a very nice one if you have Xcode tools installed)

All three work for me, so you should be able to find a way.
Here is the first part of that file with appropriate values in it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>iMac14,2</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61</string>

You will notice the SMFamily is iMac, the SMproductname is iMac14,2 and SMboardproduct is Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61.

The first two should be changed, the third item, was changed in the Multi beast output, so it should probably change also.

Save the text file. If it is a fusion drive or appleraid drive, copy the /Extra folder from the main drive to each of the Boot OS X partitions, as you were instructed in setup guide.

The change will take full effect after a restart. Look in About this Mac and System Profiler (More Info... -> System report).

USB 3.0 is working fine out the box. I have not tested Thunderbolt yet as I don't have dual boot. Apparently you need to install the drivers on a windows partition to unlock the Thunderbolt chips.

Great, it should as this has the C2 revision.

Just upgraded to 10.9.2... so far so good. will report back if I notice any issues. I used procedure from here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/407-os-x-10-9-2-update.html

Update 1: I had some weird issues with iMessage. I could not authenticate... and other errors. After installing 10.9.2, I was able to login with my iTunes account, and iMessage seems to work.

Update 2:...but not as well as when I was on 10.8.x on a Dell 690. The current state of iMessage is that it will send messages to email addresses that have been registered with iMessage, but does not seem to like sending messages to phone numbers as well as it did before.

-px

I selected mac pro 3.1... So can I undo my multi beast pro selection and change it without any issue? how would i go about changing it?

You can follow the steps in the first post from the point where chameleon is used. Just follow the SMBios steps (not the Modules steps).

JBrisbin's steps works, too. It's nice to know what goes on behind the scenes.

-pp

Hi. I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place.... I have the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH board, and I used the Clover install method posted by Tonymac, to install 10.9.2. I am currently connected with a mac 24" monitor via the thunderbolt (display) port, and that seems to work fine, and so does the HDMI out with my other monitor (although I only have one plugged in at a time.)

My issue is that no matter what I do, if I boot into Windows 8, 64bit, or if I boot into Mac, I CAN NOT get the mobo to recognize either one, or two 5870 graphics cards. I currently have two installed, with the crossfire connector connected to both of the graphics cards, they have power (I have a 1000 Watt supply), the fans are spinning, the PCIE dip switches on the board are all in ON position (I have no other cards installed, except the wireless / bluetooth card that came with the board.) Is there some magic or bios setting that needs to be changed to get the board to recognize that I have graphics cards installed????

In Windows I try to install the ATI drivers from the ATI site, and it just gives me an error, and won't install. In device manager, there is no ATI cards showing (the only display adapter Windows sees is the Intel 4600) and there is no exclamation point on anything. I have all drivers installed and I have all updates installed. For the most part, everything is perfect, except I can not get the board to recognize the cards. Am I missing something? (Yes, I tried with just one card, and I got the same result. I know they both work fine because in my previous build I had them both installed and was running my unibeast hackintosh.) but nothing I do seems to get the board to recognize any graphics cards... Any ideas? Thank you for your time and help. If this is the wrong place to post, I apologize, I will be glad to move if necessary.... (I wanted to also add: whenever I plug in any monitor in the HDMI port, on the motherboard, the fans seem to jump up to full speed... It gets quite loud. but when I unplug the HDMI, or when I plug into the HDMI on the ATI cards, the fans go way down... ?)

It seems like your motherboard cannot see the video cards at all. you should see something in the device manager in windows. check the motherboard manual and verify that you don't have the slots turned off... there are dip switches that will disable the slots without requiring you to remove the cards.

if it still doesn't work, check that each of the video cards have the additional power...

if the video cards have power, try adding the additional power to the motherboard.. there is a special note about 2+ video cards.

one more thing: there are preferred slots for video cards... check the manual there, too.

don't mess with osx until you can see the video cards in windows. its hard enough to troubleshoot osx with everything working.

-px

Has HDMI audio been tested by anyone following this guide? I am pulling my hair to try to get it working! The Toleda guide implies applying the "Clean Compile" patch first, and it fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back