Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H has anyone updated to the last available beta BIOS? [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
These are the last available updates I can see:

Has anyone installed any of these, AND did it fix the issue of having endless boot options from your BIOS menu?
Any other issues?

Attachments

• IMG_9513.JPG
    IMG_9513.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
Your User Profile says you have a Z87X-UD5H motherboard. You have linked the Bios support page for a Z77X-UD5H. I assume the link above is in error and you need this page for your Haswell system.

If you flash your system with a copy of the same Bios version you are currently using, i.e F9, then this should remove all the duplicate boot entries.

Unless you know one of the Beta bios versions will make a positive difference to your system don't use one.

You will need to reset the bios, after the flash, so it works with macOS.

Some of these options may not be present in your bios. It is recommended that matching up as closely as possible is best. Don't be too concerned if some of these options are not available in your BIOS

Disable​

• Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • Compatibility Support Module (CSM) (Must be off in most cases, GPU errors/stalls like gIO are common when this option is enabled)
  • Thunderbolt (For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)
  • For 10.10 and older, you'll need to enable AppleCpuPmCfgLock as well

Enable​

• VT-x
  • Above 4G Decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode (some motherboards may require "Other OS" instead)
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB or higher
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

Thank you for the correction, and additional info! Hopefully that's the fix for the dupe entries.

Update: I was on F5, updated to F8, giant boot list gone!
All I have for boot options now are now are my OS drive and internal audio/storage drives, which I believe have UEFI folders on them or such, for some reason? but, a total of 4 entries vs 21 is fine with me : )

Thanks again!

Last edited:
No, there is more to it than a single bios setting.

I provided the list of items that need to be Disabled and Enabled in the bios for a reason. It is up to you whether you follow the advice or not.

No, there is more to it than a single bios setting.

I provided the list of items that need to be Disabled and Enabled in the bios for a reason. It is up to you whether you follow the advice or not.
Yes, I did those, (at least the ones that were available in the BIOS after flashing) I adjusted the options I saw.
The ones I marked as N/A are not shown to me.

Disable​

• Fast Boot - Yes
  • Secure Boot - N/A
  • Serial/COM Port - N/A
  • Parallel Port - N/A
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES) N/A
  • Compatibility Support Module (CSM) (Must be off in most cases, GPU errors/stalls like gIO are common when this option is enabled) N/A
  • Thunderbolt (For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly) N/A
  • Intel SGX - N/A
  • Intel Platform Trust - N/A
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled) N/A
  • For 10.10 and older, you'll need to enable AppleCpuPmCfgLock as well - N/A

Enable​

• VT-x - N/A
  • Above 4G Decoding - N/A
  • Hyper-Threading - N/A
  • Execute Disable Bit - N/A
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off - Yes
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode (some motherboards may require "Other OS" instead) - Yes
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB or higher - Yes
  • SATA Mode: AHCI - Yes

Last edited:
Has flashing the bios corrected the bios boot options?

It did, yes :)
The only things I have now are my Mojave SSD drive and 3 internal drives used for storage.
(Not sure why those 3 are shown, as they don't have an OS on them, and aren't bootable)
Still, it's night and day difference.

Good to hear the bios flash fixed the main boot menu issues. Best you set this thread as 'SOLVED' if the main issues have been resolved.

Maybe you need to check and see if your 'data' drives have an EFI Partition that is populated with an EFI folder. Apple will sometimes create an EFI folder on a HFS+ formatted drive after/during a macOS update. Usually containing a folder named Apple, which contains firmware details for the system.

Data drives will show in the Bios boot order, as you can add a bootloader folder to any drive. Just because they are a data drive doesn't mean the drive can not be used to boot the system. The Clover or OpenCore EFI folder doesn't have to be on the drive containing the OS to boot the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back