Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5-TH Now Available - Dual Thunderbolt 1.0 ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure wish there was a Thunderbolt 2.0 option for the X79 boards.
There never will be one as X79 doesn't have on board video.

You're right about the RAM slots and how close they are too the CPU. My fan's quite big and I had to take the heatsink off the Corsair dimm that sits nearest the processor. Not a big deal as those heatsinks are held on with a foam that insulates heat on the chip rather than conducting it away; they're really just there for show. But obviously taking them off should be done with a bit of care, and almost certainly invalidates the warranty.

Why the wishes for a mATX version? Smaller cases and/or less expensive?

Kind of, but it's more for completeness/cross over. I have a macbook pro with thunderbolt, and would love fast drives which I could plug into both machines. However it isn't a necessity as my drives just use the goflex thunderbolt sled. I also have a small hackintosh as it hides under my stairs acting as a server. So I have no real use for multiple PCI slots, which seems to be the main reason for a full ATX board.

Having said that it would be brilliant to connect some drives over thunderbolt too it.

Does anyone really know if Mavericks will support Gigabyte's permutation of Thunderbolt 2, albeit with limitations noted by Storck as with version 1?

The limits as far as I know are hot plugging (connecting a TB device while the computer is powered on). You have to power down first, before connecting a TB device to a hackintosh, or else it would be like connecting/disconnecting your graphics card while your computer is powered on. not good. :thumbdown:

I also waited since June for GA Z87UD7TH and was given three different release dates by Gigabyte during that time - plus others here at TMx86 have posted dates as well. I dont believe any date from them, when its actually available in stores Ill believe it! Either way Ive decided to go with X79 + 4930K anyways, still was worth the wait Ive learned alot in the meantime (+ ASUS X79 Deluxe was released in Sept :thumbup:).

I like my M-ATX GA-Z77MX-D3H-TH, though not the sometimes very fickle/flaky bios, and had hoped for a Z87 version but, alas, Gigabyte didn't see fit to include it on the Z87MX-D3H. They apparently included a sometimes similarly flaky bios? Gorgeous looking board, though. I have a seagate 3TB USB 3.0 drive that you can fit Thunderbolt connectivity to, at a later date but... that interface comes at a price that I can't justify. I am waiting for it to go down.

Beyond that small is beautiful, especially if you are pushed for space, computer cases are insanely ugly pieces of plastic and cheaply painted metal that seem far removed from the whole Apple ethos of trying to make things compact and aesthetically pleasing. I have an Antec Sonata IV. It's not hideous, even after all my mods, but... it's still a hulking great easily-scratched square. I would like a M-ITX board, but for the 16GB memory limit which might one day matter to me.

I've bought this board,

GA-Z87X-UD5 TH,
Intel 4770K,
16gb RAM,
GeForce 780,
Internal SSD,

My plan is to replace my Mac Pro that I use for DaVinci Resolve, and put in 6 7200RPM 3TB disks that I will RAID 0 for video/film work, while backing it up nightly to a proper raid.

I finally got it to boot, but I cannot get Thunderbolt to work, but I don't really know how to got about trying to get it up. This is my first Hackintosh build.

I'd be happy to try things out if anyone has ideas.

Has anyone been able to get the Thunderbolt ports to work? I can't seem to get them to function.

GA-Z87X-UD5 TH,
Intel 4770K,
16gb RAM,
GeForce 780,
Internal SSD,

I finally got it to boot, but I cannot get Thunderbolt to work.

I almost bought this Same hardware, but if thunderbolt doesn't work....

Can you tell me how the speed is?:
Really strong enough for complex 2k multi layers editing in premiere pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back