Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Thunderbolt (Updated to 10.8.2 and MultiBeast 5.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Nate,

The next part you need to do is install Multibeast 5.1.3 your kexts. This is found under the Sub Categories > Archives > Multibeast archives section.

Download and double-click to unzip it and run Multibeast and install the following:

USERDSDT
WIthout DSDT Realtek ALC892
HNaks's Intel1000ESD drivers

For the Logitech keyboard, go to their site and download the relevant software for 10.8.2..

As for the slow boot, I found updating to Gigabyte's F11 Bios helped, though you will have to set your settings again back to the ones used before, because they will reset to default after flashing...

Big Nate,

The next part you need to do is install Multibeast 5.1.3 your kexts. This is found under the Sub Categories > Archives > Multibeast archives section.

Download and double-click to unzip it and run Multibeast and install the following:

USERDSDT
WIthout DSDT Realtek ALC892
HNaks's Intel1000ESD drivers

For the Logitech keyboard, go to their site and download the relevant software for 10.8.2..

As for the slow boot, I found updating to Gigabyte's F11 Bios helped, though you will have to set your settings again back to the ones used before, because they will reset to default after flashing...

After using multibeast to fix the audio I get an smc drivers not located error

Thanks fixed the error and now have audio working.

Is it possible to change the display name under about this mac? My display is just identified by weird numbers and letters. Also on the finder sidebar I've added my computer as a device, but no name is listed. There is just an iMac icon with no text.

Big Nate,

Good to hear it! :thumbup:

I don't know about the weird numbers and letters with the display (the info page usually shows the correct name and model - perhaps its because yours is a PC screen?), but you can add a name to the computer on the side icon by going to System Preferences > Network > Sharing - and typing your name into the top bar ie. Big Nate's Mac Pro. That usually solves the problem...

I'd Just like to add something about the audio here in case anyone else had the same problem.

AUDIO CLICKING AND POPPING FOR GREEN PORT IN 10.8.2, but NOT in win 7....
Black port works fine, swtiched to black port..

I looked all over the net and couldn't find another hints of this same issue.

Here is my system:

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
i7-3770k
Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X
XFX Radeon HD 4890
128B Samsung 840 Pro (running 10.8.2 from app store, Unibeast+Multibeast method)
60gb Crucial m300 (running Win7 64bit Ultimate, boot to this with F12, no boot loader)
2x 2TB Toshiba 7200RPM Drives
2x 1TB WD Scorpio Black drives
Antec Sonata Elite Case
Seasonic X650 PSU

At first I installed using the HD4000 internal graphics and ran on this for a while, But i was able to add the Exotic drivers batch for my Radeon HD 4890 Card... and it get full acceleration and it's stable. I have disabled the HD4000 in bios and I'm not trying to get dual graphics from this setup... (single monitor, 27" Dell U2713HM)

Now, the audio WORKS exactly how described in this guide.

I did iMac 12 system profile first, with the 898 codec for no dsdt... and i got sound.. however... I had clicking and popping sounds from my speakers, seemingly randomly, almost like there was interference from something electrically.

I tried disconnecting the front panel audio cable from the board. No change
I tried booting into windows 7 to see if I hd the same problem, however the noises are not there when booted in windows.
I turned the speakers all the way up in Win7 to hear if perhaps it is a hardware problem not OS related, but it was totally silent.
Booted back into 10.8.2... changed the system profile to Mac Pro 3.1... no change...
Reboot and tried reinstalling the 898 codec for No DSDT, no change
Reboot and tried installing 898 for WITH DSDT, just out of frustration, no change...

So... thinking out of the box here... I unplugged my audio cable to my logitech desktop speakers from the green port, and moved to the black port.
Then I went into the audio settings, and I changed to the second Line Out. I changed where the system sound effects come out of as well, to the second line out.

Success! I now have CLEAN audio, and the sound plays as needed.

In windows 7, I was also able to use the Realtec Audio Config Panel, in the Control Panel Menu, to set the Black port to be the system output.
It was a little tricky, but with the Gigabyte drivers installed from the CD, i could see that the black port was sensing a cable plugged into it... so i double clicked the black port, and it asked me "what have you got plugged in here?" with a list of boxes to check... Rear Surround had been checked, but I changed it to front speakers, and that was it! Now i am using the black port for my front speakers in win7 and the mac side...

It MAY be a hardware related issue, but I'm not going to RMA the board because of it because i found a work around. I also assume that since the green port works normally in win7, there isn't a true hardware problem, just some freak thing with my 10.8.2 install

Anyways...

I'm very happy with the setup. Thanks everyone for all your tips.

It still says "unknown AHCI controller" but i haven't bothered to fix it if it's just cosmetic.

I also would add that the Marvel Sata ports are working, Front AND rear simultaneously. I have a Sata DVD burner connected to the internal one all the time, and an Esata enclosure on he external at boot. (i don't think hot swap works on those)

I've been able to get mild overclocks and so far i haven't had a single KP or freeze.

Couldn't be happier!

Taylorsyn,

Try to increase your video RAM setting in the BIOS to either 64MB or 96MB, and see if it has underscan/overscan turned on. Usually that's the case...

Hi there, the video ram set to 64 96 or even higher still results in Garbled/distorted bios on my 1920x1080 monitor. But smaller monitor loads fine

The monitor itself has no controls for under scan/overscan, I do not see a setting in bios for this.

I'm a bit wary of this board. Replaced my Gigabyte Z68 with one of these (and replaced the processor/graphics card while I was at it) and while I got everything installed and running without issue, it's occasionally having some oddness. Ejecting a thunderbolt disk causes the whole thing to freeze (someone else says that they can swap/eject without issue)
I have the Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter, as long as you leave the adapter plugged in, you can hot swap HD's in and out of the adapter with no problems. Just right click on the drive, eject. Remove the drive. Plug in another one when you want.

but now the mobo stopped recognizing anything plugged into the internal USB headers (wasn't able to access the bios or any commands in Chameleon) but once into Mountain Lion (or Windows), it recognizes them without a problem. Moved the keyboard to one of the rear onboard ports, and suddenly no problem. (Still have the issue despite resetting the cmos and restoring all defaults.) Doesn't seem to want to recognize USB3 at all, and if anything is plugged into one of the high speed ports, it's a coin toss as to whether it works or not. Am guessing it's a dodgy board, but really don't want to tear the whole thing apart and return it.

I'm a bit wary of this board. Replaced my Gigabyte Z68 with one of these (and replaced the processor/graphics card while I was at it) and while I got everything installed and running without issue, it's occasionally having some oddness. Ejecting a thunderbolt disk causes the whole thing to freeze (someone else says that they can swap/eject without issue)

but now the mobo stopped recognizing anything plugged into the internal USB headers (wasn't able to access the bios or any commands in Chameleon) but once into Mountain Lion (or Windows), it recognizes them without a problem. Moved the keyboard to one of the rear onboard ports, and suddenly no problem. (Still have the issue despite resetting the cmos and restoring all defaults.) Doesn't seem to want to recognize USB3 at all, and if anything is plugged into one of the high speed ports, it's a coin toss as to whether it works or not. Am guessing it's a dodgy board, but really don't want to tear the whole thing apart and return it.

Update the BIOS to F12e, also another chap on here mentioned his BIOS problems were resolved by adjusting some thunderbolt bios options pertaining to sleep.

Also there is a USB 3 HUB FIrmware update that specifically states it fixes problems with mountain lion:
VL810 Superspeed USB Hub Controller Firmware 0.96 – Released Oct 1, 2012
http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp

So I just put together a similar system Ga-z77x-up5-TH, i5 3570k, and I am using onboard graphics. Everything is working good... boot up and graphics, however I have a strange problem with sleep and I was hoping someone could help. When I put it to sleep (or wait for it), the screen goes white. Then when press a key or move the mouse it comes back to normal with full operation. Is there something in the chameleon.boot.plist file that i may need to change? Mine looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>