Contribute
Register

Gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h / i5-3570k / HD4000 works except for Via sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm terribly sorry to disturb you, however, I'd like to ask a few questions regarding the Gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h as a Hackintosh motherboard.

From your previous post about the
Gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h, I understand the a couple of items may not work;
1) Only the 2 USB 3.0 ports that are above the audio jacks will work in OS X
2) VIA audio may not work.
3) LAN may not work.

I 'd like to ask the following questions;
1) During installation of OS X, would the USB 3.0 ports work at all or do I need to use the front USB ports?
2) VIA audio may work through VooDooHDA right?
3) This is probably my biggest concern. Does LAN work?

I'm sorry if I sound a little incoherent, that's because I've been out of the computer loop for a long time and I'd finally decided to build a CustoMac.

I appreciate your time and effort in writing the guide and reading this message.

Have a nice day!

I 'd like to ask the following questions;
1) During installation of OS X, would the USB 3.0 ports work at all or do I need to use the front USB ports?
2) VIA audio may work through VooDooHDA right?
3) This is probably my biggest concern. Does LAN work?

Hi!

I haven't had any trouble with LAN working -- just use the option Drivers->Network->Atheros in Multibeast. In fact best to use only this option plus DSDT-free.

The USB ports under the ethernet port work fine with USB 2.0 speed -- I've had variable results trying USB 3 devices, it seems to depend on the controller in the storage device, but if during the initial install you do have trouble, then use one of the internal USB2.0 headers with a front-panel connector. If you don't have a front panel connector, then using a usb 2.0 hub (such as those integrated in some monitors) and attach that to one of the usb connectors under the ethernet port.

I would avoid any voodooHDA because it seems to cause kernel panics.
The easiest by far is to use USB speakers such as Logitech S-150, since that requires no hacks at all.
If you have a HDMI or Displayport screen, you can also enable HDMI audio and use the screen's speakers or audio-out as described at the end of the initial post on this thread.

In any case, after 8 months of continuous daily work on it, I remain extremely happy with this board -- it has a very solid power supply management and the displayport allows you to connect a monitor with up to 2560 x 1600 pixels, whereas the boards with only hdmi max out at 1920 x 1080.
I'm a big fan of using the integrated HD4000 graphics as it reduces power consumption and consequently fan noise! and unless you intend to do advanced gaming, I see no use at all for a dedicated graphics card, as long as you can use a processor with HD4000 graphics (the K models or the i3-3225).
With a Core i5-3570k processor, it's quite speedy even for video compression etc.

Good Luck with your build and best wishes!

Thank you so much for your extremely prompt and detailed answer.

Also, I may buy 2 SSDs to install OS X on one and Windows 8 on the other. I should install the OS X first then install Windows next right?

I also intend to put in a fairly powerful graphics card (Nvidia GTX 670) to use for gaming, do you happen to know that if I do not require the horsepower of the GTX 670, would it automatically switch to the HD4000?

Thanks once again, I'm about to run out of the house to purchase the parts for my CustoMac soon :)

Cheers!

PS: Forgot to add this in, would any BlueTooth USB 2.0 dongle work? I may get some bluetooth peripherals to go with it.

I may buy 2 SSDs to install OS X on one and Windows 8 on the other. I should install the OS X first then install Windows next right?
I also intend to put in a fairly powerful graphics card (Nvidia GTX 670) to use for gaming, do you happen to know that if I do not require the horsepower of the GTX 670, would it automatically switch to the HD4000?
PS: Forgot to add this in, would any BlueTooth USB 2.0 dongle work? I may get some bluetooth peripherals to go with it.

Hi,

For the dual-booting, the important thing is that during the installation of both Windows and OS-X, only the target SSD should be installed. So the order doesn't make any difference: put in one of the SSDs, install the one operating system. Then take that SSD out and put in the other one to install the second operating system.
That's the safest way to make sure that the second installation doesn't interfere with the boot record of the first drive.

Then put them both in. In the Bios I would set the OS-X drive as the default boot disk and use the Bios boot menu (F12) to select the "Windows Boot Manager" when you need it.

I don't have any experience with bluetooth or dedicated graphics switching -- best to google around a bit!

P.s.: for your install procedure, i would leave out the discrete graphics card until everything is running well without it, and then start adding it back in for testing.

One last question, is your mother board a rev. 1.0 or rev 1.1?

Cheers and thank you for your help.

One last question, is your mother board a rev. 1.0 or rev 1.1?

Mine is rev. 1.0

I'm not actually sure what the differences are ...

Hello doom my motherboard work sound ,usb3 intel and VIA
I have the same motherboard is working, even VIA usb3 ,I created Made in France

Attachments

• Sans titre.tiff
    213.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Sans titre&.tiff
    164.7 KB · Views: 197
  • GA Z77X UD3H.zip
    5 MB · Views: 207
Sweet sapphire112! Just curious which Rev is your Gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h?

Thanks

my motherboard work sound ,usb3 intel and VIA

Hello Sapphire112,

Did you try any speed test on the usb 3 devices?
You can open Activity Monitor, click on the Disk Activity tab and then copy some large file onto a usb 3 storage device.

On my board the device shows up as usb 3 in the system report, but with some controllers, the speed only goes up to ca 30 MB/sec, even though both devices are listed as supporting usb 3...

Hello Sapphire112,

Did you try any speed test on the usb 3 devices?
You can open Activity Monitor, click on the Disk Activity tab and then copy some large file onto a usb 3 storage device.

On my board the device shows up as usb 3 in the system report, but with some controllers, the speed only goes up to ca 30 MB/sec, even though both devices are listed as supporting usb 3...

I do not have usb3 key, but with a key usb2 I 25MB / s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back