Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 ETHERNET FIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
try using maolj's kext from Multibeast 5.1.3 - I think I am right in saying that the version 1.0 board may not have the updated chipset. I have a different board Z77X-UD5H but I had some issues with the Shailua driver when I used a VPN connection and on my board reverting to the older driver in MB 5.1.3 resolved all my issues.

Reading what Shailua said on his post on InsanelyMac not all features of the ported Linux kext are enabled (maybe my VPN issues are due to this).

try using maolj's kext from Multibeast 5.1.3 - I think I am right in saying that the version 1.0 board may not have the updated chipset. I have a different board Z77X-UD5H but I had some issues with the Shailua driver when I used a VPN connection and on my board reverting to the older driver in MB 5.1.3 resolved all my issues.

Reading what Shailua said on his post on InsanelyMac not all features of the ported Linux kext are enabled (maybe my VPN issues are due to this).

I have same board, same problems.
How did you do your fix, I think I am having the same issue?
How to turn off VPN?
How to revert to older driver in MB 5.1.3?

I have same board, same problems.
How did you do your fix, I think I am having the same issue?
How to turn off VPN?
How to revert to older driver in MB 5.1.3?

Fixed. I am not sure entirely how. I never installed FAKE SMC plug-ins originally. I did and got kernal panics. I restored from bootcamp and altered my router settings to match my PCI card. And rebooted. Kernal panic. Reinstalled the bootloader and rebooted. For some reason everything is working now. Except now I have to go into bios to get to my bootloader. Strange. But everything is working fantastic. Wireless, ethernet, and can get into icloud, itunes, etc.

Now if I can fix my bootloader to avoid having to go into bios everytime.

Thanks guys.

hi,
i just discovered a fix for the infamous atheros ar8161 on the new gigabyte ga-z77-ds3h.
I found this fix at this link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...heros-ar813132515261627172-driver-for-107108/
all credit is given to shailua.
Please read the link above throughly before installation.

Here are shailua's installation instructions:

"installing:

use your favourite method of adding kexts to /system/library/extensions. Personally i prefer doing it manually from the terminal.
for testing or reporting bugs, please use the kext in the "debug" subdirectory. This will output much more info to /var/log/system.log.

remove any old version:
sudo rm -rf /system/library/extensions/alxethernet.kext
(don't forget to also remove any potentially conflicting kexts from the extensions directory, e.g. Atherosl1cethernet.kext!)

copy the new version from wherever you extracted it, such as downloads:
sudo cp -r /users/yourusername/downloads/alxethernet/alxethernet.kext /system/library/extensions/

clean out the kernel cache:
sudo rm -rf /system/library/caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*

then reboot to be safe.
if you find your system becomes unbootable due to panics, the easiest way to fix this is to temporarily disable the ethernet card in the bios/uefi, boot into mac os x and then perform the the first and last installation steps above.

alternative (test) install:
to avoid breaking your system if the module is installed but panics every time, you can just test by installing to the temporary directory:
sudo cp -r /users/yourusername/downloads/alxethernet/alxethernet.ext /tmp/

then load the module for testing:
sudo kextload /tmp/alxethernet.kext

the contents of /tmp will be automatically wiped upon reboot so you'll have to repeat these two steps each time."

after i rebooted i got instantly connected to the internet. Ethernet cards in system report reads:

qualcomm atheros ar8161 gigabit ethernet:

name: Qualcomm atheros ar8161 gigabit ethernet
type: Ethernet controller
bus: Pci
vendor id: 0x1969
device id: 0x1091
subsystem vendor id: 0x1458
subsystem id: 0xe000
revision id: 0x0010
link width: X1
bsd name: En0
kext name: Alxethernet.kext
version: 1.0.1

i have found this method very effective. And again i would like to reiterate that i am not the creator nor do i take any credit for this kext. I am just sharing the method i used to get ethernet compatibility with atheros ar8161 on my gigabyte ga-z77-ds3h.

If you post questions on this thread i may or may not be able to help so i recommend posting questions to the insanelymac thread i listed.

Later peeps!

a big thank you and lots of hugs.. I needed this badly.

v1.02 of the driver crashes for me on my Atheros 8161 (GA-B75-D3V) during transfer of large files.

Is this kext still in active development, or not?

v1.02 of the driver crashes for me on my Atheros 8161 (GA-B75-D3V) during transfer of large files.

Is this kext still in active development, or not?
Same issue for me, but with GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 mobo. I tried downgrading to AtherosL1C v1.2.3 driver, which seems a bit more stable, but I still get the occasional system lock up. Last night, system completely locked up, and upon rebooting, the v1.2.3 kext was deleted and I can't seem to re-install it with any manual or utility-based install. At this point, thinking of picking up a PCIe NIC that is known to work more reliably.

I have a GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 with ML 10.8.5 and I don't get Ethernet... :(

Stuck with my wifi for now. What OS version are you running that has this Ethernet working? I really don't want to downgrade, everything works great except ethernet. :(

I was using 1.8.2 when I first installed the ethernet.
However, I don't use it any more because I moved my computer to a place unreachable by an ethernet cable in my house.
From some basic tests, I believe my ethernet is work fine now. But, if someone else could confirm that it's functional with 10.8.5.

Ok, how are you installing the ethernet driver? Are you downloading it from the link I have, or installing it using multibeast. I would highly recommend using the latest version of multibeast because they may have an upgraded/updated version of the driver that I don't have on this thread.

If that doesn't work, I'm sorry, but I don't have any other ideas right now.

Keep me posted-

sorry to revive an old thread... but with heavy network use (backing up my work to my living room machine) the computer freezes. I am currently using ALXEthernet v1.0.2 (Shailua's port).

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back