Gigiabyte AMD Radeon HD 6870 1024 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
So as we know the VIA VT2021 is on a couple of new Gigabyte Ivy Bridge Boards.
I have spent a good couple of days working on a solution to get everything working on my GA-Z77-D3H build.

Motherboards with VIA VT2021
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WiFi
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H
Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H

After pulling my hair out so many, many times i almost admitted defeat and got an external USB sound card as everyone was saying you had to get.

I tried VoodooHDA all the versions from 2.6 and up to the latest 2.7.3 with no luck i would always get a Kernal Panic when booting and having the sound card enabled.

Anyways here is the solution i have in place. All inputs and output work on my Lion 10.7.4 build.

Downloads
Download VoodooHDA.kext file below
VoodooHDA.kext.zip
Download KextBeast http://www.tonymacx86.com/GYAdrDe6P1cZdIbL/KextBeast.zip
Download Kext Utility.app
Kext Utility.app.zip
Download AppleHDADisabler.kext - AppleHDADisabler.kext.zip
Download VoodooHDA.prefPane - VoodooHDA.prefPane.zip

Clean Fresh Install Instructions
Place VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler.kext on the Desktop
Run KextBeast
After KextBeast run Kext Utility
Reboot the Machine and everything should be working
Run VoodooHDA.prefPane to install it under System Preferences

Previous VoodooHDA installations
Open terminal type voodoohda-unistall
Reboot

Place VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler.kext on the Desktop
Run KextBeast
After KextBeast run Kext Utility
Reboot the Machine and everything should be working
Run VoodooHDA.prefPane to install it under System Preferences

Outputs
file.php

Inputs
file.php

MIDI
file.php

Attachments

• VoodooHDA.kext.zip
    160.1 KB · Views: 5,245
  • Kext Utility.app.zip
    294.2 KB · Views: 3,607
  • AppleHDADisabler.kext.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 4,416
  • VoodooHDA.prefPane.zip
    51.4 KB · Views: 4,293
  • Untitled-9.jpg
    Untitled-9.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 4,474
  • Input.jpg
    Input.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3,649
  • Midi.jpg
    Midi.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 4,263
Last edited by a moderator:
thelostswede said:
Voodoo HDA is still a dodgy route to go down
Without getting into a flight; I have to ask the question why is it ?

I have a Leopard and Snow Leopard machine in the office that uses Voodoo HDA long before the days of HDA rollbacks.
The Leopard machine is 5 years old and has never had a sound issue and the same for the 3 year old Snow Leopard machine.
I would even go as far as saying that it is simpler for some novice users as you don't have to roll back AppleHDA after each update it just works and carries on working.

And yes i would say that Voodoo HDA might have been a dodgy choice if one had not spent the time to correct all it's little flaws with the inputs and gains which has been done here.

No issues with gains, no issues with input and output quality.
No funny things happening on reboot or recovering from sleep.
All applications that use sound work - FaceTime, Skype, iTunes, DVD player etc

Well, because for one it does cause KP's for a lot of people and most of the time it doesn't give you a full set of outputs and inputs.
Then again, each to their own and we're not going to say that people can't use it, but as you just pointed out, it takes a bit of effort to make it work properly and this is why we provide what at least in theory should be fully working Realtek drivers :problem:
Admittedly the newer Realtek chips have caused a few problems along the road, but we're doing our best to solve those.

My method is very simple

1.delete AppleHDA.kext from System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext (just command+delete)

2.restart

3.run Kext Utility wait till finished

4.install VoodooHDA 2.7.3 from Multibeast

5.Restart

finish :thumbup:

but have few problem

1.sound quality not quite good have some "pop" sound when play the music. it's look like not enough audio buffer problem

2.when you use more than one audio device (use sound on board and external audio interface) and set the external soundcard as default os sound. when you start os and the external sound not connect or not turn on you will get kernel panic but not a big problem you just connect / turn on and restart everything comeback to work
****you can solve this problem by set XHCI to Auto mode ****** :thumbup:

paipai said:
delete AppleHDA.kext from System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext (just command+delete)

This is the point of installing AppleHDADisabler.kext so you don't have to delete this file as you would have to do this each time you do an OS X update.
Just on a side note you know that Installing Voodoo HDA from MultiBeast automatically removes the AppleHDA.kext and places it in the /S/L/E/Backup
As corrected by MacMan it should but it is a bug in MultiBeast 4.6.1 one would need to install AppleHDADisabler.kext or remove AppleHDA.kext from System/Library/Extensions/

paipai said:
My method is very simple

1.sound quality not quite good have some "pop" sound when play the music. it's look like not enough audio buffer problem

This is my point with the current Voodoo HDA kext it is not configured correctly for sound card. Also the Voodoo HDA package and MultiBeast caused Kernal Panics on each load due to my graphics card HDMI audio.

Try my Kext and install and tell me if the poping sound with your current install goes away i am almost 100% sure it will.

I have the same motherboard (F13 BIOS) and processor (stock clock) with Lion 10.7.4 running nicely with Bridgehelper 5.0 but I cannot get sleep to work.
It goes to sleep then doesn't wake up.
What BIOS setting are you using? have you done anything special to get sleep to work.

I read somewhere that someone could only wake it up with the apple USB keyboard I wonder if that is all my problem is, I am using a logitech wireless keyboard.

G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz
Corsair Force GT 120GB SATA III
OSX Lion 10.7.4

Running F14 Bios now

Wake from Sleep is not an issue for me, using a Logitech MX Performance mouse to wake up most of the time. Do have the Apple Keyboard

Check out my MultiBeast Setting at http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=67423

I just found a bug in MultiBeast 4.6.1 that when installing VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 it isn't deleting AppleHDA.kext.

This will be fixed in MultiBeast 4.7.0 which will be released after OS X 10.7.5 is released.

So in the meantime you will need to manually delete AppleHDA.kext before installing VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 using MultiBeast.

MacMan said:
I just found a bug in MultiBeast 4.6.1 that when installing VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 it isn't deleting AppleHDA.kext.

This will be fixed in MultiBeast 4.7.0 which will be released after OS X 10.7.5 is released.

So in the meantime you will need to manually delete AppleHDA.kext before installing VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 using MultiBeast.

Good to know have updated my previous comment paipai.
Thank you for the heads up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back