Graphics
Nvidia GTX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've seriously spent several weeks worth of late nights trying to get this system running on Mavericks. I previously was running Mountain Lion, but had disk failure, so I'm on a brand-new disk drive, but all other components the same.

I can't get this dang thing to boot.

I installed Mavericks using the guide and Unibeast-created USB stick.

After installation, I couldn't boot from hard drive because of Boot 0 error. That's where I'm at now. I try to boot off the original USB stick, and no matter what boot arguments I provide, I get every kernel panic you can imagine.

I've removed the video card (GeForce GTX 560) and am just running off the built-in video.

Can someone provide me with known-good boot argument for this motherboard?

If I can't get this booting soon, I'm inclined to buy another Gigabyte Sandy Bridge motherboard (I'm running I52500k)-- LGA 1155. I've upgraded bios to UEFI U1l. Have also dumped all bios settings and started from scratch with AHCI on Sata.

Any advice much appreciated,

di11rod

PS- I've searched these forums beyond belief. Haven't found any proper threads describing clean install with this motherboard and boot arguments.

I've seriously spent several weeks worth of late nights trying to get this system running on Mavericks. I previously was running Mountain Lion, but had disk failure, so I'm on a brand-new disk drive, but all other components the same.

I can't get this dang thing to boot.

I installed Mavericks using the guide and Unibeast-created USB stick.

After installation, I couldn't boot from hard drive because of Boot 0 error. That's where I'm at now. I try to boot off the original USB stick, and no matter what boot arguments I provide, I get every kernel panic you can imagine.

I've removed the video card (GeForce GTX 560) and am just running off the built-in video.

Can someone provide me with known-good boot argument for this motherboard?

If I can't get this booting soon, I'm inclined to buy another Gigabyte Sandy Bridge motherboard (I'm running I52500k)-- LGA 1155. I've upgraded bios to UEFI U1l. Have also dumped all bios settings and started from scratch with AHCI on Sata.

Any advice much appreciated,

di11rod

PS- I've searched these forums beyond belief. Haven't found any proper threads describing clean install with this motherboard and boot arguments.

Using built-in graphics is the safer option until you get your system up and running, so you have probably done the right thing there. You can mess about with your GTX 560 afterwards.

Regarding the boot0 error, there is an official guide here : http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Thats if it is caused by the HDD. Sometimes it can be caused by graphics cards as well though.

Try a clean install using the iMac14,2 system definition. Thats generally works well on sandybridge systems.

'IGPEnabler=yes GraphicsEnabler=no' would be a good place to start for your boot flags.

I've read on several forums that the UEFI bios on the Gigabyte sandybridge boards isn't too great, although it can be downgraded back to the non-UEFI versions. I did this myself on a Z68MX-UD2H-B3.

Edit : You should also update your hardware spec in your profile so people can see exactly what you are working with :thumbup:

I have a z68ma-d2h-b3 and i got all kinds of kernel panics. What I did was install of mavericks on my hd with my z68 board. I tried every boot flag and could not get into osx no matter what I did either. I removed my hard drive and put in an already running system of osx and installed multibeast drivers onto the fresh hard drive with osx. I put it back in my z68 system and it booted with no flags or issues. It might be a little pain but if u have a hd with a fully operating osx on it you could do it that way with an extra hd. Even a real mac would work 2. Just make sure u install the drivers on the correct hd. If u do this method it should work. If u still get boot issues if u get it running look into the efi partition method tony posted

Rickyreall

Thanks everyone for the helpful support on this!!!

I'm not out of the woods, but I've made some progress.

Boot0 is solved.

Can now boot USB unibeast key with internal graphics because using DVi instead of VGA port.

Cannot boot off Mavericks HD, though. Keeps giving me disk errors -- "Invalid Key Length" among others. I've booted off the USB key and fixed the hard drive with Disk Utility. But the next boot attempt shows the Invalid Key Length error just before CPU shutdown and reboot.

I'm going to re-initialize the HD and install Mavericks again and apply Boot0 fix. I'll repost my results.

Appreciatively,

di11rod

Failure continues.

So, I had been pretty consistently able to boot off the Unibeast USB key this evening using:

-v -x IPGEnabler=yes GraphicsEnabler=no

with the geforce card pulled out and the monitor connected to onboard dvi connector. I was able to reformat the hard drive and attempt an install. First try, as soon as I clicked on 'install' button, I was thrown to a log dump file. Couldn't save it to USB. Nothing in the log file made any sense. Rebooted and tried again. Part way through, I got a nicer error thrown:

b5vEOVtBGC-2000x2000.jpeg

So I tried a third time and made it all the way through the install and rebooted. Specified USB drive as boot devices, but in Chameleon, I selected Mavericks HD and used same boot arguments as earlier. Got to grey screen eventually with mouse, and the mouse pointer eventually turned into spinning beach ball and then finally, the beach ball just froze.

Tried to boot off the Unibeast USB key to see if I could run disk utility to check the disk again. While booting, computer just froze like this:

es1GRBq1aB-2000x2000.jpeg

This is just really inconsistent behavior. Should I start pulling ram out? Is the motherboard suspect?

Appreciatively,

di11rod

You might have a sata issue on your board. Im sure you have tried using different sata ports. I have never experienced your issue and I hope you can get it up and running. It looks like osx is having a hard time reading what is on your drive. If you read the reviews of that board on new egg it has a lot of negative comments about it. I had that board for a while and I used it with my first G5 mod. I ended up grading to z77 because my z68x would constantly restart on its own whenever I would turn it off. I had to physically unplug the cord to get it to turn off. Although some people have had success with it you might have a melon poopy board

Best of luck,
Ricky

ps. if you have the money i recommend the z68ma-d2h-b3. I bet you can get it extremely cheap

I agree there is some flakiness in this board. When I start it up, it will frequently get to the post screen, then reboot.

Update- I have pulled all the ram (Gskill RipJaws 16gb 12800) except for one stick. I was able to get Mavericks installed and use multibeast to install the bootloader. Now I'm futzing with getting the sound and networking working.

I took your advice and switched SATA ports for the HD. I did that at the same time as yanking the RAM, so I'm not sure which change accounts for my improved stability.

I looked at the z68ma-d2h-b3-- it's MicroATX. I'd like to stick with a full-sized ATX board, so I'll hold off on that purchase for now. I may go with a full-sized Z77 as a replacement. Trying to keep my investment in CPU and RAM.

Appreciatively,

di11rod

I have had some pretty good progress using no DSDT.

Because I'm on UEFI, am I supposed to be DSDT-free?

Also, having difficulty getting sound to work. Tried following Stork's guide, but he's using a DSDT. I am not.

If I do not boot with -x flag, I get to a grey screen with mouse pointer and never to login. What do I need to pull out of my system?

THanks for any answers in advance!

--di11rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back