Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
*** I have written this guide while at work, so I will add the necessary attachments, files, and some screenshots this evening. I'm sure the exact names of some the files and the methods of which to navigate to them may be slightly off as this has been written strictly from memory.

A few notes before we get started.
-Currently running onboard DVI at 1024 x 768 (discrete GPU hasn't arrived yet).
-USB 3.0 seems to work as it is listed properly in "System Profiler" (no USB 3.0 peripherals to test with)
-FireWire, same as above
-Please PM me if you have any successes that aren't listed in this guide so that it can be updated (credit will be noted, of course).

1) BIOS
-Set to AHCI
-Set HPET to Enabled 64-bit
-Set boot priority to CD/DVD first and HDD second
-(Optional) up multiplier to 40x for a 4.0 GHz overclock

2) iBoot 3.0.4
-Boot with iBoot and eject after it loads
-Pop in your retail 10.6.3 Snow Leopard install disc
-Wait about 5 seconds and press F5
-Use the arrow key to select the OS X install disc if it is not automatically selected
-Type in "-v" and press "enter"

3) Installation
-Once the installer opens, go to "Utilities" and select "Disk Utility"
-Partition your hard drive as needed
-Select the partition you wish to use for Snow Leopard and proceed with install

4) Initial boot after install
-After install completes the computer will reboot. You will want to remove the retail install disc and replace it with iBoot.
-Use the arrow to select the newly installed Snow Leopard partition
-Type in "-v" and press "enter"

5) Post install configuration
-Copy the "Post Installation" folder to your desktop
-Double click on the "Z68 Auto Patcher", select you motherboard ("Gigabyte Z68" and then "GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3"), and then click "Patch"
-You should now have a file named "dsdt.aml" on your desktop
-Next, run the 10.6.7 OS X software update, do not restart
-Before restarting, open "MultiBeast"
-The application will automatically close after you make it through the initial prompts and rolling your mouse arrow over the "Continue" button. Go ahead and get this out of the way and "Ignore" the installer error message.
-Open Multibeast again and go through the initial prompts. You will want to select the following:
-"User DSDT"
-"System Utilities"
-Expand "Drivers and Bootloaders" and expand "Kexts and Enablers". Expand "Audio" and expand "Realtek ALC8xx" and select "ALC8xxHDA". You will then want to expand "Non-DSDT HDAEnabler" and select "ALC889"
-Expand "Disk" and select "IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector"
-Expand "Miscellaneous" and select "USB 3.0 - NEC/Renesas"
-Expand "Network" and select "Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6"
-Expand "Customization" and also "Boot Options". Select "64-bit Apple Boot Screen" and "Instant Menu"
-Expand "OSx86 Software" and select "Kext Utility B7"
-Finally, select "Continue" and install to your Snow Leopard partition. Once again, do not restart.
-Go back to "Post Installation" folder and open "BridgeHelper". Follow the prompts and install to the Snow Leopard partition.
-Remove iBoot from CD/DVD drive and reboot.

6) Optional Post Install from the "Early 2011 iMac 10.6.7" software update
-Drag the 3 kexts from the "Early 2011 iMac 10.6.7" folder and drop them in "Kext Utility B7" (you may have to open a Finder window and navigate to "Applications" instead of trying to drop them in the expandable Applications folder on the desktop).
-Enter your password and continue the install. Do not reboot.
-Copy "mach_kernel_SB" and paste in the root folder (it will be in Finder at the top left hand side and named whatever you named your Snow Leopard partition). You may be prompted to "Authenticate", enter your password when prompted to continue.
-Navigate to the root folder and open up the "Extra" folder. Double click the "com.Apple.bootlist" file and change the string that says "mach_kernel" to "mach_kernel_SB". This allows your system to boot up with the new iMac SB kernel.
-Open up MultiBeast and select only the "System Utilities". This is a way to repair permissions to allow the previous changes to function.
-Reboot.

7) Conclusion
-You should now have a fully functioning system that is able to be booted from the hard drive. Please keep in mind that I have not fully tested every feature of Snow Leopard or this board. Everything that is used by me on a day to day basis is functioning perfectly. If you can verify that something may or may not be working, please PM me and I will update the thread and we can seek resolution.

8) Possible issues
-The only issue I had after completing the steps in this guide was that Safari would freeze and crash after loading a few pages. The remedy for this is to go to the Adobe site (ironic since Safari may not stay open long enough to get you there o_O) and download the Flash uninstaller package. Run the package and reboot. Once you reboot you can re-install Flash and Safari should be working normally. I opted to switch to Chrome.
If your audio dies with the 10.6.8 update, install the "AppleHDA.kext" located in the "Post Installation". This is the original kext found in the 10.6.7 combo update.

Here is a list and links to the parts used in my current build. I actually purchased my components on eBay (all brand new in sealed packaging) from people with no reserves and by bidding at the last second. I have less than $500 total in my build.

-Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070&cm_re=i7_2600k-_-19-115-070-_-Product

-Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498&cm_re=gigabyte_z68-_-13-128-498-_-Product

-Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus CPU heatsink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

-Additional fan identical to the included one for push/pull setup
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103069

-EVGA 512-P3-1300-LR GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR3 (currently not included in guide because it hasn't arrived yet.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130592

-New Mac Pro case (chassis only)
(Purchased on eBay for about $70 shipped.)

I am not going to list out the RAM, hard drives, power supply, etc. as they are fairly generic and I already had some of these laying around. I will be purchasing 8GB of 1600 MHz. or better RAM which I will add at a later time.

***GeekBench 64 bit result with no overclocking in BIOS (SpeedStep and Turbo enabled) came in at 13948. This test was completed on the first boot up after completing the steps in this guide. I will post the screenshot, as promised in my first comment, once I get off work.

works 100% ?

7) Conclusion
-You should now have a fully functioning system that is able to be booted from the hard drive. Please keep in mind that I have not fully tested every feature of Snow Leopard or this board. Everything that is used by me on a day to day basis is functioning perfectly. If you can verify that something may or may not be working, please PM me and I will update the thread and we can seek resolution.

Well, thanks a lot for your guide, rdhughestech. We won't tell your boss what a productive job you're doing while at work. :D

I like this board for its complete layout, gorgeous look and very high rating on Newegg.
My EP45-UD3P has become buggy, lately, and I'm starting to consider moving forward.

Does sleep work? Power management? I'd like a fairly eco-friendly rig, otherwise I may buy a SB Mac mini, when it's available, and say farewell to random KPs. :banghead:
I've never been really skilled on the hack side and stick to 10.6.4 for that very reason: I can't even remember which of the 3 guides I tried did the trick, two years ago… :rolleyes:

I will test those features in the morning. As far as ease of install goes, this is very manageable. I tried to be thorough in the guide, which may make it seem more complicated than it actually is. When I get some spare time, hopefully this weekend, I will post up the screenshots to make it more user friendly. Pictures really do say a thousand words :thumbup: .

I will add this note about the efficiency. I haven't gotten around to getting my case fans set up yet. I am currently just running off the CPU push/pull fans. The system is silent and runs about 35 C with normal computing tasks. I used HandBrake for some video encoding last night and I think I hit around 50 C. Not too bad for virtually no case air circulation. SpeedStep and Turbo are confirmed working and this build runs so much cooler than my i7 870 did. Less heat means less voltage. Less voltage means less power consumption. I have to admit, I'm loving the Sandy.

Hey, I need your help :p, I have a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3, and I'm using the HD 3000 graphics, but I cannot get iBoot working, the system just restarts.. any ideas what might be the cause?

Specifications
Intel Core i5 2500K Processor
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard
OCZ Gold 2X2GB DDR3-1333MHZ Memory
Asus External DVD Drive
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive
Crucial M4 64GB SSD Drive
500W Corsair CX500

Sorry for the delay, but I will be attaching all of the necessary files within the next day or so.

Yamcha said:
Hey, I need your help :p, I have a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3, and I'm using the HD 3000 graphics, but I cannot get iBoot working, the system just restarts.. any ideas what might be the cause?

Specifications
Intel Core i5 2500K Processor
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard
OCZ Gold 2X2GB DDR3-1333MHZ Memory
Asus External DVD Drive
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive
Crucial M4 64GB SSD Drive
500W Corsair CX500

Are you removing iBoot after it loads and replacing it with the retail Snow Leopard disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back