Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI, i7-7700K, Samsung 960 PRO, 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
@frontgear Have you upgraded to High Sierra yet? Curious what issues you've run into and how you resolved them?

BTW - my Sierra got zapped with the Security updates 2017-001, and am still looking for a solution. Part of my problem is that I was using an older GTX-285 (which I wanted for the two DVI connectors) and had to replace NVDAStartup.kext with one from 10.11 to get that to work. My crash is specific to the 10.11 NVDAStartup.kext.

Foolishly in retrospect, I didn't save a copy of the 10.12 NVDAStartup.kext. Could you post yours?

I think I'm going to give up on the GTX-285 (which worked perfectly) and replace it with a GTX-1050, so that my configuration isn't different from everyone else.

At any rate, I'm going to start trying to install High Sierra from scratch maybe this weekend and see what trouble I get into. From what I've been reading, there doesn't seem to be an advantage to APFS for a Hackintosh, and at least for a few more point releases, I'm definitely going to avoid it.

There also seem to be some issues with TRIM and APFS, and from what I can see - TRIM is automatically enabled for NVMe disks on High Sierra.

Some issues reported here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-13-1-update.236072/page-17#post-1619714

Also, I'm considering keeping all my kext modifications in Clover's EFI's 'Other' or '10.13' folder, so that I'll always have as near a 'vanilla' OS X install as possible (which would avoid the problem I just had with changing NVDAStartup.kext). Might take slightly longer to boot, but ... could help avoid some issues down the road?

I just wanted to thank everybody for this thread. It helped a ton. I was able to go from stalled black-screen installer to actually working for High Sierra.

The installer saw my 250GB Samsung EVO drive and I created a Fusion drive and installed to it, but Clover doesn't see it. I've done a lot of search and a lot of messing around with it to no avail. I've gone back to just a straight install to the EVO (formatted as APFS) and it's working without trouble.

Last edited:
I have upgraded from 10.12 to 10.13 however i am stuck on the Black Screen. The update went through successfully but the screen is Black.

You might want to try adding what troubleshooting you have done, posting the debugging output of the boot sequence, etc.? This is like going to the doctor and saying 'I'm sick' and expecting him to fix you based on just that...

Has anybody been able to get Thunderbolt up and running? I don't see the options in the BIOS. Running F8. I've installed the drivers and FW, and still nothing.

I believe this motherboard requires an add-in card for thunderbolt?
thunderbolt.png

Interesting. I thought if it supported USB 3.1 that I just needed an adapter. I thought a USB type C connection and drivers were all I needed, but I guess I'll look into that, thanks.

@frontgear Have you upgraded to High Sierra yet? Curious what issues you've run into and how you resolved them?
Updated mine to High Sierra 10.13.3 a few weeks ago. No issues so far and I am using the Web Driver .104 with my EVGA GTX-970 to get around the reported mouse lag issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back