Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI, i7-7700K, Samsung 960 PRO, 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't have to go in /Library/Extensions and can stay in kexts/Other folder. The only drawback is that since Clover has to load all the kexts in kexts/Other folder at boot so they are not residing in kext cache and can affect boot times (not a lot but some).
That makes sense!

@frontgear I followed the Idiot's Guide to iMessage and it Works!!! Authorized it using 2 factor on my iPhone, and was able to send an iMessage from one of the phones I use for testing. HooYaa!!

One question, what updates are safe to install? I presume I can install the iTunes and Remote Desktop Client update?

BTW - I get the impression that when 'TRIM Support' says Yes, this just means it's supported.

I ran this in terminal: sudo trimforce enable - and now I think it's actually turned on. I think this because of an ars technica article stating that Apple didn't want to turn on TRIM for 3rd party devices and be responsible for any data loss.

One other thing. I was able to send an iMessage from my Mac, and it showed up on my iPhone just like I had sent it from the phone. But after setting TRIM enabled and rebooting, I got this dialog from the iMessage window that automatically opened:
enable sending imsg from this mac.png

Did you get this dialog? I can already send using this Mac, so ... I'm confused?

Last edited:
Hooray!

I install all updates when they become available.

You don't have to run any command to enable TRIM. There is already a kext patch inside the config.plist you are using so there's no need to run that trimforce command.

I get that message, too. I don't remember exactly what comes next because I recently turned on the 2-factor, but when you click on the Turn On button, your iPhone will display a 6-digit window and your Mac will display a 6-digit code. That might have changed when the 2-factor is enabled, but I don't remember.

Well, everything works except unlocking with an Apple Watch, even though I turned that on and the Mac thinks it supported. Of course, I may have missed some basic step?

I did notice that when I open Messages, it doesn't pull any that came in while it was turned off. Possibly that has something to do with that message? I don't know, I never turned on Messages for my 2008 Mac Pro - so I don't know what to expect. I assumed it would pull in any messages that it missed from the cloud like my iPad does if it has been turned off.

All in all, I'm very happy. This Hackintosh is actually keeping me in the Mac camp. Apple just got a few more hundred in iTunes that I'll use for Logic Pro X and other software. I probably would have just moved all music production to Windows if this didn't work and Apple would have lost me for good.

If Apple ever comes out with an Expandable box like the original Mac Pro, but with the latest technology - I might actually consider buying one - just to simplify my life. This has been quite challenging and there's still High Sierra to face shortly!!

Your Messages is working as it should. It will not work like the iPad or iPhone.

Another thing to watch for is when your machine is idled for 10 mins or more, just before it goes to sleep, if you resume activity, the machine lags or freezes and the CPU fan revs loudly, you may try the below command:

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist

It works for me and I haven't had another episode like this ever since.

Here is the reference thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...to-lag-freeze-for-a-couple-of-minutes.209661/

@frontgear The only thing left is monitoring - possibly Rehabman's https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek ?

What are your thoughts for the best way to monitor?

BTW - I just read in that "The FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext in FakeSMC Plugins v6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759 is NOT compatible with NVIDIA Pascal graphics cards." and will result in a kernel panic, so ... that might not work with your Pascal card?

And that brings up an interesting topic. Let's say you've added a kext that causes a kernel panic. My strategy would be to add them first to Clover on the 960 so that I can boot up with a USB thumb that won't have that kext in Clover, and simply remove it from the 960's Clover.

But, what if the cache is messed up or there's some other issue. Can we boot up in 'Safe Mode', or will that disable our kext that makes it possible to boot from the 960? I should have a Carbon Copy backup on another drive before any changes like this, but one day, I may have an issue and I'd like to formulate a strategy for how to deal with it?

Another thing to watch for is when your machine is idled for 10 mins or more, just before it goes to sleep, if you resume activity, the machine lags or freezes and the CPU fan revs loudly, you may try the below command:
I haven't tried sleeping and have been afraid to - had heard it might be problematic? Can our setup 'sleep' or 'hibernate'?

I made a note during my note taking phase that hibernation (suspend to disk or S4 sleep) is not well supported on hackintosh and should be disabled, but ... I haven't done this yet.

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

I don't use any monitors.

Sleep and wake works perfectly with my config. You can test it by selecting Sleep on the Finder menu, then wait for a minute or two, and click the mouse or hit a key. It should wake up.

You should disable hibernation.

What method did you use to disable hibernation?

I noticed that @P1LGRIM used:

Code:
sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

which is different from the code fragment listed earlier that I grabbed from somewhere?

What method did you use to disable hibernation?

I noticed that @P1LGRIM used:

Code:
sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

which is different from the code fragment listed earlier that I grabbed from somewhere?

Hibernation (suspend to disk) is not supported on hacks and should be disabled.
In Terminal :
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

Note that updates can overwrite this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back