Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI, i7-7700K, Samsung 960 PRO, 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the USB 3.0 ports to work, make sure of the following:

1. Create a SSDT-USB.aml file as per Rehabman's or Ammulder's guide. I think Rehabman's guide is more advanced and may be hard to follow for some folks. This SSDT-USB.aml file needs to go into the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the EFI partition. Or you can use my SSDT-USB.aml that is linked to in post #2 above.

2. The latest version of USBInjectAll.kext needs to be in either /S/L/E or /L/E folder. Makes sure it is the latest version if you are using iMac18,1 or iMac18,2 or iMac18,3. Here's the link to get the latest version.

3. A copy of XHCI-200-series-injector.kext file in /S/L/E or /L/E

4. You do not need the AppleUSBXHCIPCI kext patch to increase the port limit to 26 in the config.plist file.

My config.plist file should have a kext patch that fixes the external drive icon.

@frontgear Thanks for the quick reply! Question: Could those kexts be in /efi/clover/kexts/other??

And also, I find a little tedious and complex testing all ports and compiling the SSDT, is it really necessary? I used yours and its all ports are A Working LOL.. Im gonna try turning off the patch and see if I can get it to work without it and with your suggestions..

Again, thanks a lot!

... Now I just need to figure out what I need to do so the IOS sees the M.2 drive during installation
Reading from the threads here, I believe you need a few kext patches in the config.plist file in order for the system to recognize the M.2 drive. These patches need to go in the config.plist file on the USB drive that you use for pre-installation and the config.plist file that resides on the M.2 post-installation.

See this thread for a list of required patches.

@frontgear Thanks for the quick reply! Question: Could those kexts be in /efi/clover/kexts/other??

And also, I find a little tedious and complex testing all ports and compiling the SSDT, is it really necessary? I used yours and its all ports are A Working LOL.. Im gonna try turning off the patch and see if I can get it to work without it and with your suggestions..

Again, thanks a lot!
Yes, they could go in the kexts/Other folder if you want. But if you decide to move them to S/L/E or L/E at a later time, make sure you run the chmod and chown commands in Terminal and rebuild the kext cache.

With regards to the SSDT-USB file, go for it, @rootss . LOL

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no go.... Only if I patch the kext... Attached is my current IOREG and CONFIG, if you could take a look, id appreciate.

Thanks!!

-EDIT-

Just to update my situation, with AppleUSBXHCIPCI kext patching all ports are working fine. And got what was preventing the orange external icon to show up, I was editing DSDT in Config "change EHC1 to EH01" and "change EHC2 to EH02", which seems not to be necessary in z270? Now my external drive USB 3 is running fine, and usb 2.0 thumb drives and devices are too...

Attachments

• IOREG CLOVER.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
@rootss Try this config.plist file. I don't believe EHC1 and EHC2 exist on a desktop. I also removed HECI. kext-dev-mode=1 doesn't apply anymore.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 81
I compiled the SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml and created the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext for this motherboard running with 10.12.6.

I used Win10 to find the ACPI path to be "_SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX", so the code I compiled to create the SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml is:

// Inject bogus class-code for NVMe SSD to prevent IONVMeFamily.kext from loading

DefinitionBlock("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "NVMe-Pcc", 0)
{
External(_SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX, DeviceObj)
Method(_SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX._DSM, 4)
{
If (!Arg2) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }
Return(Package()
{
"class-code", Buffer() { 0xff, 0x08, 0x01, 0x00 },
"built-in", Buffer() { 0 },
})
}
}
//EOF

add the SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml to EFI->CLOVER->ACPI->Patched

To create the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext I used Terminal. Apparently, the --spoof option is very important.

Mac-mini:patch-nvme-master userName$ ./patch_nvme.sh --spoof
Determined patch automatically from vanilla IONVMeFamily: 10_12_6
Creating patched HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/IONVMeFamily.kext
Vanilla MD5 matches expected MD5 entry (c506f1fc40026c0262a736f0be318223)
Patched MD5 matches expected MD5 entry (ff9c55bf11e522dd86e3dc5b2df7ff24)

To use the resulting HackrNVMeFamily*.kext:
- make sure the SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml is in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched
- make sure existing _DSM methods at the NVMe SSD ACPI path are renamed or deleted
- make sure you use the --spoof option to generate HackrNVMeFamily*.kext
- install the HackrNVMeFamily*.kext or inject it via EFI/Clover/kexts

to install in L/E:
sudo cp -R HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext /Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -i /
or maybe better? sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

to install instead in Clover, place in EFI->Clover->Kexts->Other

Please rely on the authoritative thread for instructions: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/ There are many things that can cause issues such as installing only FakeSMC.kext without HackrNVMeFamily*.kext, so read and re-read RehabMan's great guide!!

Attachments

• SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml.zip
    849 bytes · Views: 88
  • HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext Spoofed.zip
    91.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Thanks for this NVMe file, @HighSierraWannabe . It'll prove useful when I get that M.2 drive.

I can confirm that the 2 files put together by HighSierraWannabe work like a charm! I copied the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext to /Library/Extensions and moved the SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml file to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on my USB installation drive. Once the installation has started, the machine recognized the M.2 drive and allowed me to format it for installation.

So much easier than having to install Sierra to a different SSD/HD, get it to boot, and copy everything over to the M.2 drive!

Thanks again, @HighSierraWannabe !

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 5.55.28 PM.png

@frontgear - did you notice that I updated the kext earlier today (and added some instructions)? I originally compiled it without the --spoof, and when I re-read RehabMan's instructions, it seemed like the --spoof was a necessity (but, I'm not exactly sure why it is) - so I removed the one compiled without the --spoof and added the --spoof version?

Which version did you use?

Where did you end up installing them? Within Clover or installed in L/E? I've been dealing with other stuff and hope to actually try to use them this evening or tomorrow. How long does it take you to boot up from the M2? It's supposed to be wicked fast!!!

I believe I got the updated one but just to be double sure, I downloaded it again a few mins ago, replaced the one I had in /L/E, rebooted, and I'm back in without any problems :)

On my USB drive (for pre-installation), I put the SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml file in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the EFI partition of the USB drive. The HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext goes into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, same EFI partition.

For post-installation, I move the SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml file to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the EFI partition of the 960 Pro and the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext goes into /Library/Extensions folder. These are done after installing Clover bootloader on the 960 Pro.

No other changes or modifications required. Just those 2 files.

It takes 10-11 seconds going from the Gigabyte Boot-Up screen to the macOS User Login screen. I haven't yet benchmarked the drive but will do so soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back