Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming and GA-Z270X-UD5 Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, can you check if internal GPU will work with dual screen?
Sorry, I don't have dual screen so I can't test it.

Hey everyone, first time hackintosh builder here. Seems like most people in this thread are trying out the UD5 and not as many the Ultra Gaming. I picked up an Ultra Gaming motherboard this weekend at a really good deal -- wondering if that should work out similarly to the UD5? I see many of the specs are the same, but not all. Should I return the Ultra Gaming and get a UD5 instead for compatibility, or will I be OK? Thanks!

Universal Audio Apollo Twin is up and runnig via Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

Hello Barsqiue

I'm keenly interested in your experience since my objective is to build the most powerful and latest hackintosh for audio production and it appears you've arrived at a very nice configuration.

I'm happy to hear you've gotten Thunderbolt 3 up and running with your Apogee. Could I ask what kind of DAW you're using and if you're experiencing any performance, latency or reliability issues?

I'm planning to use a UA Apollo Twin MKII with Pro Tools 12 (which will replace my old Digi 002).

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Hey everyone, first time hackintosh builder here. Seems like most people in this thread are trying out the UD5 and not as many the Ultra Gaming. I picked up an Ultra Gaming motherboard this weekend at a really good deal -- wondering if that should work out similarly to the UD5? I see many of the specs are the same, but not all. Should I return the Ultra Gaming and get a UD5 instead for compatibility, or will I be OK? Thanks!

I picked up a Ultra Gaming and it's been killer. This is my first hackintosh build in about ten years and it was easy as pie using the files in this thread. Glad I went with Kaby lake!

So far, I'm happy to report I have the build working on GA-Z270X-UD5, i7 7700K, GeForce Titan X Pascal, Samsung 960 Pro NVME. Ethernet is working great, I haven't tested. In my case a reinstall (previously I was using a z170 board) is what fixed it and following the guides linked in this thread.

My Focusrite Clarett 8Pre over thunderbolt (using both the Apple and StarTech Adapter) is not working. That's my next task.

Hello Barsqiue

I'm keenly interested in your experience since my objective is to build the most powerful and latest hackintosh for audio production and it appears you've arrived at a very nice configuration.

I'm happy to hear you've gotten Thunderbolt 3 up and running with your Apogee. Could I ask what kind of DAW you're using and if you're experiencing any performance, latency or reliability issues?

I'm planning to use a UA Apollo Twin MKII with Pro Tools 12 (which will replace my old Digi 002).

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Hi, this is my first post. I'll be trying the same setup, but with the Apollo 8 and a Blackmagic Design Multidock II. For those wanting a 2nd or 3rd TB3 port, I'm not sure if such a card will play nice: Regarding the UAD guides, I'm not sure whether to follow the guide for Windows or for the Mac. Chicken or the Egg?
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/214492726-Thunderbolt-for-Windows-is-here-
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/206132896-Apollo-Twin-Thunderbolt-Connection-Info

@barsqiue
I'm writing mainly to ask how you got the Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C working? It says "no driver" at the moment? Does this get fixed once multibeast is done? Or is it as easy as dropping a kext file in?

I copied your files to the EFI before install.

There are some other post install issues I'm having:
Machine won't boot without my usb version of clover. This I'm guessing is because I didn't do anything with multibeast yet. I stopped working on the machine at 3am because I had work at 9am.
Haven't tested too much yet but I only get 20577 for geekbench where you get 21000 with same board/processor which makes me think I skipped something else or our ram is that drastically different. Probably in multibeast/post installation steps.

Background:
Your posts inspired me to go hackintosh. Even though I own a pretty good 2012 quad i7 macmini. I too have the apollo twin and love it. My main concern when going hackintosh was it working so I copied much of your setup.

I got most of my hackintosh working last night after many hours of issues with my Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe.
I fixed this by having my macmini copied onto a usb 1TB portable drive, plugged that into the pc, booted off my usb stick that has clover on it and choose the usb portable drive as my boot drive. Surpised my mac mini El Capitan booted with only minor graphics glitches. I then used that mac os to format the m.2 NVMe and then my clover usb/sierra installer could see the drive. I'm going to add this to a m.2 NVMe chain as well.

My setup:
GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-UD5
i7 7700k
Noctua NH-D15 6 heatpipe with Dual NF-A15 140mm fans
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW)
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC (White)
Fenvi Desktop Wireless Card 2.4/5GHz draft 802.11n 300Mbps Desktop WLAN PCI-E Card
Universal Audio Apollo Twin
Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case with Tempered Glass Panels and 4 LED Fans Pre-Installed - CULLINAN - WHITE

Thanks

Universal Audio Apollo Twin is up and runnig via Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

I just read the quote below... will try when I get home. I saw the message and didn't bother plugging it in.

For Thunderbolt to work a device must be plugged in at boot time. Until then System Profiler will report no Thunderbolt hardware.

@barsqiue
I'm writing mainly to ask how you got the Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C working? It says "no driver" at the moment? Does this get fixed once multibeast is done? Or is it as easy as dropping a kext file in?

I copied your files to the EFI before install.

There are some other post install issues I'm having:
Machine won't boot without my usb version of clover. This I'm guessing is because I didn't do anything with multibeast yet. I stopped working on the machine at 3am because I had work at 9am.
Haven't tested too much yet but I only get 20577 for geekbench where you get 21000 with same board/processor which makes me think I skipped something else or our ram is that drastically different. Probably in multibeast/post installation steps.

Background:
Your posts inspired me to go hackintosh. Even though I own a pretty good 2012 quad i7 macmini. I too have the apollo twin and love it. My main concern when going hackintosh was it working so I copied much of your setup.

I got most of my hackintosh working last night after many hours of issues with my Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe.
I fixed this by having my macmini copied onto a usb 1TB portable drive, plugged that into the pc, booted off my usb stick that has clover on it and choose the usb portable drive as my boot drive. Surpised my mac mini El Capitan booted with only minor graphics glitches. I then used that mac os to format the m.2 NVMe and then my clover usb/sierra installer could see the drive. I'm going to add this to a m.2 NVMe chain as well.

My setup:
GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-UD5
i7 7700k
Noctua NH-D15 6 heatpipe with Dual NF-A15 140mm fans
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW)
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC (White)
Fenvi Desktop Wireless Card 2.4/5GHz draft 802.11n 300Mbps Desktop WLAN PCI-E Card
Universal Audio Apollo Twin
Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case with Tempered Glass Panels and 4 LED Fans Pre-Installed - CULLINAN - WHITE

Thanks

I went home, shut down my machine, plugged in the thunderbolt/apollo, booted... still says "no drivers".
I then tried Multibeast... still says no drivers.

I just read the quote below... will try when I get home. I saw the message and didn't bother plugging it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back