Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA Z170X UD3 + LG UHD 4k help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
got most of my build working except the 4K monitor.
I used to use the 4K UHD LG TV with my MacBook Pro and it would do 4K @ 24hz scaling no prob
I'm using this for audio editing so I don't really care how smooth it is. I just need the real estate. (3180 x 2160)

Gigabyte GA Z170X UD3
I7 6700K
LG 43" 4K UHD
HDMI 2.0 cable

Tried SwitchResX with custom resolution and got a black screen and locked out of being able to see the OS. that was shitty.
tried HiDPI terminal code and only got an extra 960 x 540 res.

how do I get the integrated graphics to push out 4K @ 24hz?
do I really need to get a display port to push it out? even though the MBP would do it over HDMI?

Thanks

There are two solutions to this problem, YMMV. The aforelinked pixel clock patch is one, but legends tell that the problem may be fixed by just correctly setting the connector type for each port on your 530 using config.plist patches. There are posts in the forums on how to do this. You basically boot with a single monitor and use IORegistryExplorer (ioreg, software available for Xcode on developer.apple.com) to determine which port is the port your monitor is connected to. Say you determine that your monitor via HDMI is port 0x05. Then you change the connector type for port 0x05 from the default 0004 0000 to the proper type 0008 0000 for HDMI. My understanding is that properly setting the connector type for the ports your monitors are using will natively enable the higher resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back