Graphics
Gigabyte Windforce RX 480 8G
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@dmijic did you notice any lag issues when installing 32 gigs of ram? my setup was only reading 16 of the 32 gigs. I switched the ram positions, it reads 32, but now lags horrible with Sierra. I 'm going to try El Cap soon.

Did you finally get Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 working correctly?

If so, which cable are you using for this?
I'm using the apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter here, it connects my cinema display just fine.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
INTEL Core i7-6700K 4.00GHz 1151 BOX
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2047 MB
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
No, I haven't done anything different and this works for me.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE
CPU
i7-6700K 4.0 GHz
Graphics
EVGA GTX 980 k|ngp|n
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Classic, PowerBook
I'm using the apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter here, it connects my cinema display just fine.
Cinema display or Thunderbolt display?

Are you running a jumper from your GPU to the DP in on the MB or is it working internally?

Edit:
Also you said previously it only works from one port which one did you find working?
--> I'm using the port closest to the PS2 port

Edit2: Clearly my thunderbolt is connected

ioreg | grep -i thunder
| | | +-o Apple Thunderbolt Display@40170000 <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x100000418, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 11>

I also see USB devices I inserted and the onboard nic. Unless I unplug and replug at which point it all goes away.

Now if I could only get the display part working

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare z170x
CPU
intel core i7 6700K
Graphics
Gigabyte Windforce RX 480 8G
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Cinema display or Thunderbolt display?

Are you running a jumper from your GPU to the DP in on the MB or is it working internally?

Edit:
Also you said previously it only works from one port which one did you find working?
--> I'm using the port closest to the PS2 port

Edit2: Clearly my thunderbolt is connected

ioreg | grep -i thunder
| | | +-o Apple Thunderbolt Display@40170000 <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x100000418, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 11>

I also see USB devices I inserted and the onboard nic. Unless I unplug and replug at which point it all goes away.

Now if I could only get the display part working
I'm using the port closest to the PS2 port as well, that one seems to have the pass trough enabled. My setup consists of:
RX480 Displayport out -> Z170X Displayport in -> Z170X Thunderbolt out (next to the PS2 ports)

If you use the Integrated Graphics the other thunderbolt port (furthest from the PS2 port) should work out of the box

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE
CPU
i7-6700K 4.0 GHz
Graphics
EVGA GTX 980 k|ngp|n
Mac
Classic Mac
Classic, PowerBook
I'm using the port closest to the PS2 port as well, that one seems to have the pass trough enabled. My setup consists of:
RX480 Displayport out -> Z170X Displayport in -> Z170X Thunderbolt out (next to the PS2 ports)

If you use the Integrated Graphics the other thunderbolt port (furthest from the PS2 port) should work out of the box
I wasn't able to get the integrated graphics via thunderbolt either but I didn't put any real effort into it. I'm waiting on the arrival of a cable so I can bridge to the DP in on the MB

Thanks

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
Core i7-6700K @ 4GHz
Graphics
GTX 660Ti & GT 640
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
eMac, iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE
CPU
i7-6700K 4.0 GHz
Graphics
EVGA GTX 980 k|ngp|n
Mac
Classic Mac
Classic, PowerBook
I wasn't able to get the integrated graphics via thunderbolt either but I didn't put any real effort into it. I'm waiting on the arrival of a cable so I can bridge to the DP in on the MB

Thanks
With the adapter and bridging the cable in I am getting output on my display. I just need to fix the black screen issue which I already have steps for.

[FIXED] I believe it my EmuVariable wasn't persisting nvda_drv=1 in nvram.plist in my EFI partition. I added force mount ESP and save NVRAM Always and that seems to have fixed it

Last edited:
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
That should be possible. Just install windows first to upgrade the thunderbolt firmware and you're good to go
Hi,
Could you tell me if using the Z170x Designare (and using a dedicated graphic card connected to the motherboard, not using integrated graphics) + Adapter TB 3 to 2 + Apple Thunderbolt display will work fine under windows please? And under macosx? Thanks

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
I7 6700
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey guys,

I've got macOS installed on this board with an i7 6700, but I just can't get the integrated graphics to work...it's so wierd I'll attach a photo of where it goes into a reboot loop, dvmt is allocated at 64mb in the BIOS, inject Intel and device properties have been added in the config.plist along with an ig-platform-if of 19120000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Attachments

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
Core i7-6700K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1080 Founders Edition
Mac
Mac Pro
Hello, I am doing video edition with Resolve and all my media are store on a RAID lacie disk using thunderbolt 2. Will that work with that mother card ? I mean you guys seems to manage it but my use of the thunderbolt will be of tremendous importance since all my video files will be on the lacie disk and thus used in realtime, so I need to be sure this is the mother card best suited for my need. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Alexandre