Graphics
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently built my first Hackintosh mainly for video editing purposes. All the components seem to be compatible with one another and the computer is screaming fast. However my only problem is that it freezes, very frequently, while I'm using FCPX. The specs for the build are:

GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4

Intel Core i7 3930k
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s
CORSAIR HX Series HX750

I've been keeping a log and the computer has frozen on me no less than 35 times in the month of February, with most all of them occurring during FCPX operations. This could be because most of the work I do on the computer is video editing, but it's important to note not all freezing occurs in FCPX...I'd say 80-90% are FCPX freezes. The others seem to happen when I'm clicking around and moving between programs. I've also had problems with the Bluetooth mouse and it slowly loosing connectively to the computer (it just becomes less and less responsive all of a sudden). If I unplug the bluetooth adaptor in the back of the computer and then plug it back in it will re-engage the mouse, but on occasion this will actually freeze the computer too. On days when I'm doing a lot of editing the computer will freeze 4-5 times in just one day, which completely kills my workflow.

Luckily I have not lost any projects to date (knock on wood) but I'm curious if anyone else has seen these issues and if so if there is a solution to the problem.

Thanks for any assistance!

I think it is the ram.
Try removing 2 dimms and reproduce the error.
Then do this over and over with your other dimms till you found the error.

Alternativly you could try running the program memtest when booting:
http://www.memtest.org/

I think it is the ram.
Try removing 2 dimms and reproduce the error.
Then do this over and over with your other dimms till you found the error.

I tried cycling through the ram and removing two slots at a time, with no luck. There was one slot, which when I removed 2 dimm slots, FCPX would freeze and crash, rather than freezing the entire computer. Using the Activity Monitor I realized that when I started doing specific processes (adding effects, using text, and opening PSD files) FCPX's % CPU usage would skyrocket from 4-10% to peaks of 200-499%. This seems ridiculously high to me.

I'm still trying to debug the issue, but my troubles have been getting worse when using FCPX recently.

Are you sure you are using the right CL Timings?
Maybe the Voltage too low?

Did you do a stress test with Prime95 under Windows?

hi
I have the same configuration as you Ga-x79-up4 and but with asus nvidia 650, Can you please give me some tips how you managed your audio it seems that you didn't have problems with that.
I think i spend few days without success to install correctly the audio.
I have solved the problem tempo. with external cheap usb sound card
best regards
Brusor

I recently built my first Hackintosh mainly for video editing purposes. All the components seem to be compatible with one another and the computer is screaming fast. However my only problem is that it freezes, very frequently, while I'm using FCPX. The specs for the build are:

Same Here

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4
Processor: Intel Core i7 3920
Ram: Corsair 1600 (8x2)
GFX: GeForce GTX 670

Any Help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back