Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 Pro Tools HD Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro
CPU
i5 760 2.66GHz
Graphics
NVidia GeForce 8800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First hackingtosh build. So far I have most of my parts (below) and I chose the H55 to build my Pro Tools HD3 rig but HD1 for a few months. Only reason I've decided to post because I can't seem to find any threads about the CASING they use for the PCI-X cards. I know one guy was doing a Mac G5 mod and I cannot find that thread. Plans are to run Pro Tools HD 8 or 9 with SL 10.6.3-8, simple. I just need to know what kinda CASINGS everybody is using for the HD rigs and those long PCI-X cards before I buy. Leaning towards that G5 casing to give it that sexy Mac Pro look lol. Also thought about the SSD but they're a bit pricey for me right now! I'm open to all suggestions! Still looking for a pretty cool CD/DVD drive and that's about it but help me out x86 fam!

Specs:
OS X: SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.3
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 (1156)
RAM: 16GB ELIXIR RAM (4GB FOR SL INSTALLATION)
HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 500GB (SL)
HDD #2: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB (AUDIO)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTS
CPU: INTEL CORE i5 750 2.8GHz (HAVEN'T ORDERED YET)
PSU: POWER KING ATX 650W (IN MY PC NOW)
CD/DVD DRIVE: SAMSUNG WRITEMASTER (IN MY PC NOW, WANT A NEWER ONE!)
CASING: NONE!!!!!!! MAC G5???

Am I missing anything?

The ARK 4U-500-CA is a fantastic case for a PT HD rig, I have it setup with an HD3 system on a H55-USB3. Good temps and plenty of space. The case is "intel" compatible as your motherboard choice is. Since you are using an H55-USB3 (1156 socket) with an intel CPU, it will all be intel and no problem for OSX and Protools 8-9 HD. Good luck, feel free to ask me any questions.

leftbrain said:
The ARK 4U-500-CA is a fantastic case for a PT HD rig, I have it setup with an HD3 system on a H55-USB3. Good temps and plenty of space. The case is "intel" compatible as your motherboard choice is. Since you are using an H55-USB3 (1156 socket) with an intel CPU, it will all be intel and no problem for OSX and Protools 8-9 HD. Good luck, feel free to ask me any questions.

Ok thanks! Ordered one and should be here next week. Where are the topics about SSD Drives? Is the best way to install Snow Leopard 10.6 on a HDD or SSD? If so which brands? Don't want to spend more than $200 for the SSD. Would that be a good idea for Pro Tools HD?

UPDATE: Also ended up getting the i5 750 2.66GHz instead of the 2.8GHz

Just finished a 2600k i7(1155) build pro tools 9 HD core pci card(very long card, make sure you have the space) Command 24 console 192 i/o 16Gb corsair ram 9-9-9-24, EVGA Gtx 550, 1 TB WD Sata HD, , After trying two different mobos with limited or no sucsess, we ended up using the Asus p67 Deluxe.
The Ga-Z68X-ud5-b3 (tried f7 bios) would not post with the pci card installed.
The system is 100% working and stable the guys love it.
Pro Tools 9 HD made it a nightmare build for me but , at last victory is mine. :headbang:

Case and everything came in but I have issues! For those who use the ARK-4U-500 check this thread >>> viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28955

Re: "SOLVED!!!!" GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 Pro Tools HD Build!

10.6.8+MULTIBEAST WITH BIOS F7!!!!

dave763 said:
Just finished a 2600k i7(1155) build pro tools 9 HD core pci card(very long card, make sure you have the space) Command 24 console 192 i/o 16Gb corsair ram 9-9-9-24, EVGA Gtx 550, 1 TB WD Sata HD, , After trying two different mobos with limited or no sucsess, we ended up using the Asus p67 Deluxe.
The Ga-Z68X-ud5-b3 (tried f7 bios) would not post with the pci card installed.
The system is 100% working and stable the guys love it.
Pro Tools 9 HD made it a nightmare build for me but , at last victory is mine. :headbang:

HI!
What kind of issues did you have with other mobos?
Wich mobos were those?
Thanks!

I had been working on an old Mac G5 with ProTools 8 HD with 2 PCIe Excel sound cards. The Mac I have does not have a Pentium processor in it. I bought it just before they switched to using Intel CPU's. I would like to build a Custom mac Pro, and I have no idea where to start. I know that I need OS 10.6.7 in order to run Protools 8 and the plugins that I would like to use. It also must be a Pentium processor for the version of plugins I would like to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back