CPU
Core 2 Quad Q9650 (4x3.00 GHz)
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti "FTW" (2 GB)
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Continued from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...ckintosh-en-route-el-capitan.html#post1181131

After doing a test install of Linux on a spare drive :geek: to verify my new GT 730 actually works, I took the plunge, blew away Lion and installed El Capitan. Of course, I had to use "nv_disable=1" to get it working, and it looked awful, but it worked. Multibeast went without a hitch (audio now works! yay!) But when I rebooted...

...same problem as before, OS X starts to load and then screen goes blank. Have to nail the reset button and use nv_disable=1 again to get to the login screen and Finder. Located the proper 'alternate' nVidia drivers for 10.11.2 here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/96651/en-us

and installed them (installer worked properly, identifying my card as a GT 730). Rebooted.

Same result, need nv_disable=1 to boot successfully. Trying to enable it in the nVidia preferences doesn't work; also, for some reason, the ECC tab shows "no device found".

Oh, this is odd...locked up on spinning bar thingie on shutdown...hmm...

EDIT: Also installed latest CUDA drivers from above link, and tried "nvda_drv=1" to explicitly force use of the nVidia driver. Same result. :banghead:

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R 1.0/F12
CPU
Graphics
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Now I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere. Looks like I'll be needing to inject a Fake ID into /EFI/Clover/config.plist (in the /Devices/FakeID/NVidia key) for my display card. Also, I note that the /Graphics/Inject/Intel key has "true", which is most certainly not true for this Gigabyte mobo. Hmmm...

Digging into Wikipedia and the Nouveau open-source driver docs for Linux, I've learned that:
1) My "GT 730" is really a GT 430...
2) ...of the NVC1/GF108 family...
3) ...which uses the Fermi architecture...
4) ...which includes the following:

GeForce GT series:
415M, 420, 420M, 425M,
430, 435M, 520M, 525M,
530, 540M, 550M, 555M,
620, 630M, 635M, 640M LE

Quadro series:
600, 1000M

Looking in /System/Library/Extensions (with the Terminal, natch) yields a whole panoply of kexts starting with "GeForce" and "NVDA", half of which have "Web" as part of their names. The closest matches I can find are a pair called "NVDAGF100Hal.kext" and "NVDAGF100HalWeb.kext". But digging further to the info.plist (using pico) contained in each says nothing about which models they support...AFAIK.

So now I'm on a quest to find out which ID corresponds to which nVidia model, and (presumably) use that as my Fake ID for the card. :crazy:

EDIT: Found 'em here: https://gist.github.com/roalercon/51f13a387f3754615cce

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R + El Capitan + GT 730: SUCCESS!

QA'PLA! (sorry if my Klingon is a bit rusty :mrgreen:)

After trying a number of Fake IDs and failing, I suddenly remembered "wait a minute...don't those older cards require graphics injection?" So, I enabled that, along with the Fake ID for the GT 430: 0x10DE0DE1 (and changing the name to "NVDA GeForce GT 430" couldn't hurt). It worked. Using the Apple driver, no less.

Going into /EFI/Clover/Config.plist, I changed:
1) In /Boot/Arguments, added "nvda_drv=1"
2) In /Devices/FakeID/NVidia, changed "0x0" to "0x10DE0DE1"
3) in /Graphics/Inject, changed "Intel" to "false/" and "NVidia" to "true/"

Last problem to solve: freeze on shutdown...

Postscript: The actual ID of the GT 730 is 0x10DE0F02.

Last edited:

slim.jim

Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
You shouldn't need the fake ID stuff. Just the injection.

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
You shouldn't need the fake ID stuff. Just the injection.
Depends on the manufacturer, I suppose. My guess is, Apple's drivers don't recognize an "EVGA GeForce GT 730" as either an "nVidia GeForce GT 730" (which I couldn't find a Fake ID for) or an "nVidia GeForce GT 430" (which is what it should identify itself as). Even if the Fake ID isn't needed, it couldn't hurt, right?

To recap:

When I initially tested the EC installer, I had graphics injection turned on (since I was using the 8400 GS at that time). After installing the GT 730, the installer no longer worked, until I used the "nv_disable=1" flag. Thinking (wrongly) that injection was the problem, I temporarily reinstalled the 8400 GS, rebuilt the installer with injection off, then reinstalled the GT 730, along with a spare hard drive on which I installed Ubuntu 15.10 to check the card's operation. The card checked out OK in Linux. Removing the spare hard drive, I proceeded with the El Capitan install...for which I still needed the "nv_disable=1" boot flag. The rest is detailed above.

Anyway, it's still a learning experience, and in no way detracts from the great work the CustoMac team has done! :headbang:

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R + El Capitan + GT 730: Golden...

Postscript: I tried it without the Fake ID. It works. :silent:

I also edited /EFI/Clover/Config.plist on my EC installer, as above, but without the Fake ID. It also works.

Had a problem with slow networking, for which I installed the Realtek8111.kext from the file section. Problem solved.

The crash on shutdown somehow resolved itself. :clap: Haven't tried sleep though (no need, really; this is a desktop, and I'm running BOINC; with CUDA enabled, SETI@home, Einstein@home, and even Climateprediction.net are flat-out flying).

At this point I'd call my build golden; according to About this Mac, I'm running OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 on a fully functional "Mac Pro (Early 2008)" with a 3 GHz Core 2 "Xeon" (even though it's a Yorkfield Q9650, not a Harpertown E5450), 8 GB DDR 800 RAM, and an EVGA GeForce GT 730 display card.

Right now I'm experimenting with dual-booting Ubuntu 15.10 with EC. So far, I've had to use the brute-force expedient of nailing F12 on boot and selecting the second HD to bypass Clover and get to GRUB. Transferring files from Ubuntu to EC is a bit of a chore, as I have to use my old MacBook (running Lion) as a go-between! Once I get what I need off the Ubuntu drive, I'll erase it and use it as extra space.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HacPro -
CPU
i5 4690k
Graphics
GTX 660 Asus
Thank you for this short guide! works perfect with an low profile HP GT 730 in a shuttle PC (core 2 duo and 4 GB ddr2 Ram)

Motherboard
H81M-E34
CPU
i3 4330
Graphics
asus GeForce gt730
Mobile Phone
Android
Continued from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...ckintosh-en-route-el-capitan.html#post1181131

After doing a test install of Linux on a spare drive :geek: to verify my new GT 730 actually works, I took the plunge, blew away Lion and installed El Capitan. Of course, I had to use "nv_disable=1" to get it working, and it looked awful, but it worked. Multibeast went without a hitch (audio now works! yay!) But when I rebooted...

...same problem as before, OS X starts to load and then screen goes blank. Have to nail the reset button and use nv_disable=1 again to get to the login screen and Finder. Located the proper 'alternate' nVidia drivers for 10.11.2 here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/96651/en-us

and installed them (installer worked properly, identifying my card as a GT 730). Rebooted.

Same result, need nv_disable=1 to boot successfully. Trying to enable it in the nVidia preferences doesn't work; also, for some reason, the ECC tab shows "no device found".

Oh, this is odd...locked up on spinning bar thingie on shutdown...hmm...

EDIT: Also installed latest CUDA drivers from above link, and tried "nvda_drv=1" to explicitly force use of the nVidia driver. Same result. :banghead:
i have the same problem when i try to boot always enable nv_disable=1 .the graphics was sucs.when iinstall hdmi audio in the next reboot they became a miracle.all works fine.i have h81 m+ gt 730?