Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Gigabyte Brix DIY PC Kit

A new addition to the Brix lineup, this time with a green/black chassis rather than the previous red or black ones.

This one looks quite promising I think ; Core I5 mobile chip, GTX 760 built in (Some lower power revision than the full desktop version) and all the usual stuff we have come to expect from these mini boxes.

DDR3L memory
mSata SSD
2.5" SSD
4 USB3
Headphone
Twin HDMI
DisplayPort
Gigabit LAN
Half height wireless
Bluetooth 4 (Probably combo card with wireless)
VESA compliant bracket/fixing

It doesnt mention which audio chip is being used. An I7 variant is also planned later (Specs unknown yet).

The graphics set this unit apart though. Low voltage version of the GTX760 in a box this size sounds very promising indeed.

:thumbup:

Linky.

Edit : Specs state ALC283 with combo headphone/mic socket :( CPU is I5 4200H (2.8Ghz, Turbo to 3.4Ghz).

Specs page here.

10610_big.jpg

4008.jpg4009.jpg4010.jpg10613_big.jpg10612_big.jpg10611_big.jpg

I love seeing what kind of stuff they can cram into a tiny space. This is a great idea- a mobile CPU with a desktop GPU, at least if they're going for gaming performance. :thumbup:

Remember the homemade iMac build where the guy just stuck his motherboard on the back of the monitor ?

Now, imagine that but with one of these . . . . .

Hope this doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner like ArsTechnica (and other reviews) showed the AMD-based Brix Gaming. This thing looks like the ultimate "Mac Mini", and is probably what the next Mac Mini should look like (though at this point Apple might as well wait for Broadwell)

Hope this doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner like ArsTechnica (and other reviews) showed the AMD-based Brix Gaming. This thing looks like the ultimate "Mac Mini", and is probably what the next Mac Mini should look like (though at this point Apple might as well wait for Broadwell)

Thats the key thing for me; fan control and noise. People were disappointed with the 4770R brix model due to the fan noise under even a slight load, and so they will be wary. It was a good attempt by Gigabyte particularly given the processor type, but just wasnt good enough.

I hope this time round they get it right. If they use a mobile i7 chip it should be much better, but then we have a desktop class GTX760 crammed in there which could easily re-open the fan/noise issue again.

I'll be reading the reviews of this very carefully; I think it has a lot to offer us hackintoshers.

:thumbup:

That looks really good! I wonder if they'll release different coloured cases. Because an orange and black or a blue and black would look really sharp too!

By they time I'm ready for my next Hackintosh; I wonder what they''ll come out with then!? (Hopefully my current machine will last a real long time!)

That looks really good! I wonder if they'll release different coloured cases. Because an orange and black or a blue and black would look really sharp too!

By they time I'm ready for my next Hackintosh; I wonder what they''ll come out with then!? (Hopefully my current machine will last a real long time!)

Well there is an i7 version of this due and also intel have said they will do a broadwell version of the NUC too.

Happy times ahead for the patient.

Well there is an i7 version of this due and also intel have said they will do a broadwell version of the NUC too.

Happy times ahead for the patient.
I think late in this year I'll attempt something like this for my parents. They still rely on on a 1.66 ghz core duo Mac Mini!

Newegg posted a product overview of the GB-BXi5G-760 on its YouTube channel a few days ago.

[video=youtube_share;ZYbypKRDkwk]http://youtu.be/ZYbypKRDkwk[/video]

It looks like a fantastic all around build. My only concern would be whether the low voltage CPUs cause a bottleneck with that GPU. :eek: On the other hand, it might be worth waiting as the i7 version is coming out in August. I'm planning on buying one for college and then mounting it on the back of my display. Might even be worth chipping in extra for a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the full all in one experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back