Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Immediately after F13 is flashed the computer does indeed POST. If I then go to Setup and “Load Optimized Defaults” and save, it does not POST.
I am beginning to suspect a hardware problem, but before we jump to conclusions, some additional steps should be performed:
  • Please try flashing an older BIOS -- and use a different flash drive (to rule out any problem with the flash drive you're currently using)
  • Check if it allows you to change BIOS settings and still POST
Also, what devices are connected to the system?
  • M.2 NVMe SSDs? Which slots are populated?
  • Which PCIe slots are populated?
  • Has the on-board Intel WiFi/BT module been replaced by a different model?
  • Are all power cables connected fully? Please try gently removing and re-inserting the 24-pin power cable and the 8-pin CPU cable

I am beginning to suspect a hardware problem, <snip>
  • M.2 NVMe SSDs? Which slots are populated?
  • Which PCIe slots are populated?
  • Has the on-board Intel WiFi/BT module been replaced by a different model?
  • Are all power cables connected fully? Please try gently removing and re-inserting the 24-pin power cable and the 8-pin CPU cable
Ah, thanks so much. Your excellent questions have prodded me to think of an outstanding issue, which indeed turned out to be the cause of the problem. About a month ago I had installed a USB card into PCIe slot #3. It didn't work, but never seemed to cause any problems so I left it installed until I got around to moving it to slot #2.

Reading the motherboard manual, I see that this Gigabyte B550 Vision D motherboard doesn't allow a second NVMe SSD at the same time as there's a card in PCIe slot 3. I do have two NVMe SSDs (Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB in first SSD slot, Gigabyte 2 TB in second SSD slot) so the USB card didn't work because of that. Now that I've moved the USB card to PCIe slot 2 my system is happy again.

The only thing I don't understand is why the USB card didn't cause any immediate problem when installed, but at least I now understand the reason for the eventual problem. Thanks again for asking the right question!

The sonnet tb to ethernet adapter does not work on my amd aero g... my asus 10g adapter on working in big sur..
As far as running carbon in ventura im dead int he water.. @CaseySJ and options? Mabey i need a differnt 10g card now..Does any one have a working solution for a 10g card in ventura

** OpenCore Configurator Users **

Please see this post before updating to OpenCore 0.8.7:

OpenCore Configurator 2.65.0.0 is now available. Please set it to "0.8.7 Release Configuration".

Managed to resolve my GPU related kernel panics by removing my Thunderbolt 3 card. Never gonna deal with Thunderbolt again. Too much of a headache. Been running stable now for nearly 3 weeks with it gone.

Hi there @CaseySJ ! How are you? I finally finish my new build with new CPU, 5800x, and new AIO, Arctic liquid freezer. I need to ask you a question related flashing the Thunderbolt controller with the modded firmware, I think the NVM33 by Elias. (I don't think I need to attachTB4 devices.) The question is, Can you confirm to me that I will certainly loss compatibility on Windows because of the modded firmware? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi there @CaseySJ ! How are you? I finally finish my new build with new CPU, 5800x, and new AIO, Arctic liquid freezer. I need to ask you a question related flashing the Thunderbolt controller with the modded firmware, I think the NVM33 by Elias. (I don't think I need to attachTB4 devices.) The question is, Can you confirm to me that I will certainly loss compatibility on Windows because of the modded firmware? Thanks.
It should still operate in Windows, but hot plug may not work as well. The nice thing is we can always flash the original firmware back if necessary.

It should still operate in Windows, but hot plug may not work as well. The nice thing is we can always flash the original firmware back if necessary.
Yes of course thanks! I will give it a try.

Back