Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

@CaseySJ

I have managed to clear all the issues with the Ventura install but I'm getting random kernel panics when the system goes into sleep.

I have attached the kernel panic log - it appears to be due to the GPU but as you know I recently changed it from the Vega 56 to the 5700 XT which had previously been working perfectly on Monterey 12.3. Even on Ventura I have no graphical issues like I did with the Vega 56. It's working perfectly apart from these random kernel panics.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• panic-10.11.22.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 26
If anyone is experiencing GPU related issues such as kernel panics, try disabling ResizeableBAR both in the config.plist and the BIOS. It may or may not work for you but for me after disabling it I'm no longer getting these GPU related kernel panics.

Update: Sadly just had another kernel panic. Went back to enabling ResizeableBAR as it turns out it hasn't fixed anything.

Last edited:
I am having issues with my Gigabyte B550 hack. It does not appear to be directly related to the Mac side of things, more an issue with the UEFI if I am interpreting the problem correctly. I would greatly appreciate any ideas, thanks!

OK, so completely out of nowhere the computer began refusing to boot into macOS Monterey, while continuing to work with Windows 10. First thinking that there was a problem with the version of OpenCore that HackinDROM had updated to this computer I tried reverting to an older OpenCore that I had backed up to USB thumb drive. That didn't work. Neither did an older OpenCore on external hard drive. I couldn't boot to macOS (including a full bootable backup install of macOS) in any circumstance.

My next theory was that there was something wrong with UEFI. Booting to Gigabyte's UEFI config program, I noted the message that UEFI had been reset. Of course, when UEFI is reset it changes a whole bunch of parameters that we need set to specific settings in order to boot MacOS. So, thinking I had found the problem I reloaded a saved UEFI configuration with the macOS-friendly settings (e.g. CSM Support: Disabled). Then I rebooted the computer, expecting to now be able to boot into macOS.

Sadly, the computer refuses to boot at all. After a minimum of three attempts at rebooting, the motherboard recognizes the problem, resets UEFI to defaults, and I'm back into the state where I can boot to Windows 10 but not macOS.

This kind of cycle repeated itself many times as I tried to figure this out. After many attempts, I'm left with the following conclusion: the computer won't boot anywhere (not Windows 10, not macOS) UNLESS the UEFI has been reset to defaults. If anything is set differently than defaults, the computer won't pass POST. After UEFI is at defaults it loads the UEFI boot picker, I can select Windows, and Win10 boots successfully. (MacOS will not boot with the wrong UEFI settings, though.)

So, how do I get the computer to pass POST with any non-default settings in UEFI?

Try reinstalling your BIOS as it seems like a BIOS corruption.

@Tazman

If the problem still exists, reinstall the BIOS and do not use pre-saved BIOS parameters between different versions of BIOS. BIOS parameters should ideally be set manually from the list in Post 1.

I think I know what might be causing the GPU related kernel panics I have been experiencing.

I may have too many PCIE devices attached to the computer. I have 2 M.2 NVMe drives, 2 GPU's and the Thunderbolt card in the final PCIE slot. I remember before on another computer a few years ago having too many PCIE devices connected could cause issues. I will try removing the Thunderbolt card and testing this out over the next few days.

Try reinstalling your BIOS as it seems like a BIOS corruption.
Thank you zappy39! I successfully reinstalled firmware version 13. All settings were at default, no saved settings even existed any more, and the custom boot screen was gone. Sadly, I still cannot pass POST if I change any UEFI setting, even the most trivial.

So I’m still stumped on this one. But I appreciate the idea, thanks.

@Tazman

If the problem still exists, reinstall the BIOS and do not use pre-saved BIOS parameters between different versions of BIOS. BIOS parameters should ideally be set manually from the list in Post 1.
Thanks Casey. I reinstalled firmware version 13 successfully which wiped out saved settings. But I can’t change even a single trivial parameter in UEFI without rendering the computer unbootable. Sadly, no progress with that reinstall.

Thanks Casey. I reinstalled firmware version 13 successfully which wiped out saved settings. But I can’t change even a single trivial parameter in UEFI without rendering the computer unbootable. Sadly, no progress with that reinstall.
Ouch, that is quite odd. After F13 is flashed, does the computer POST? Does it get to OpenCore boot picker?

If you then go to BIOS Setup and start with Load Optimized Defaults and nothing else, then save settings and exit, does the computer POST and get to OpenCore boot screen?

Ouch, that is quite odd. After F13 is flashed, does the computer POST? Does it get to OpenCore boot picker?

If you then go to BIOS Setup and start with Load Optimized Defaults and nothing else, then save settings and exit, does the computer POST and get to OpenCore boot screen?
Immediately after F13 is flashed the computer does indeed POST. If I then go to Setup and “Load Optimized Defaults” and save, it does not POST.

Back