Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Early reviews are in! Pretty impressed with the performance of top end Ryzen 7000 chips. Would be lying if I said the higher power draw and thermals didn't give me pause, but I also understand that it's "normal." I'm quite interested in the Eco mode performance, as the few reviewers I saw that did mention it (pcworld, pcgamer) saw the 7950x still performing quite well at just 65W.

Looking back, I definitely have no regrets picking up my used 5950x locally just a few months ago, especially since I was previously using an i7-2700k and 2011 macbook pro. My current needs and use cases are more than satisfied- but the itx itch is still there. My lone gripe of the x570 and b550 motherboards was a lack of GOOD itx options with thunderbolt, a must have for me. Looking forward to seeing the am5 platform mature but for now, I have no problem with waiting :)

Phoronix has an extensive set of tests (22 pages) of Ryzen 9 7900X and 7950X under Linux.
Summary: Performance is distinctly up over Zen 3, and generally above Alder Lake, but power consumption is also distinctly up over Zen 3.
AVX-512 performance has its own dedicated article, but in those tests where AVX-512 is available a not uncommon theme is that Zen 4 jumps ahead of Alder Lake thanks to its new AVX-512 support.

ArsTechnica tested Zen 4 at lower power settings, and found little performance difference from running the 7950X at 105W TDP instead of 170W, or the 7600X at 65W instead of 105W, but lower temperatures and power draw. "Underwatting" (for want of better word) is possibly the sweet spot for Zen 4.

Phoronix has an extensive set of tests (22 pages) of Ryzen 9 7900X and 7950X under Linux.
Summary: Performance is distinctly up over Zen 3, and generally above Alder Lake, but power consumption is also distinctly up over Zen 3.
AVX-512 performance has its own dedicated article, but in those tests where AVX-512 is available a not uncommon theme is that Zen 4 jumps ahead of Alder Lake thanks to its new AVX-512 support.

ArsTechnica tested Zen 4 at lower power settings, and found little performance difference from running the 7950X at 105W TDP instead of 170W, or the 7600X at 65W instead of 105W, but lower temperatures and power draw. "Underwatting" (for want of better word) is possibly the sweet spot for Zen 4.
Great links, I hadn't yet read those reviews - thanks!

Hi Casey and All,

Maybe I'm close to the goal or maybe very far ;)
I'm making progress on the project to take over the 6750 XT on Monterey Workstation.

1°) I create on Open Core 8.4, 2 new PCI Root entries for the 6750 XT card (VGA and Audio) with the good path.
Picture 2 and 3
2°) I modify 3 AMD Kexts like is indicate in this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-6800-6900-graphics-cards.319421/post-2312803

The workstation work fine but the card didn't recognize monitor and Graphic Accelerator (picture 1).
In two AMD kext (6000 and Framebuffer) I duplicate the AMDNavi23GraphicsAccelerator under IOKitPersonality and change the values for AMDNavi22GraphicsAccelerator and add the ID device of my card 0x73DF1002. On the HWServices Kext I only add the ID device.

I think the last step (I hope) is to complete the PCI Root entry in Opencore with more informations.
For now, I just add AAPL, slot-name, device_type and model.

If you have any idea ?
Thanks !
@Draft,

Good for you on doing this. Let's hope we can get the RX6750 recognized!
As to the solution, I don't really know. But I do want to ask, have you considered adding any of the framebuffer
values like what's been shown in this post? > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0k-amd-rx-6800-xt.318311/page-48#post-2307877

@Draft,

Good for you on doing this. Let's hope we can get the RX6750 recognized!
As to the solution, I don't really know. But I do want to ask, have you considered adding any of the framebuffer
values like what's been shown in this post? > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0k-amd-rx-6800-xt.318311/page-48#post-2307877
Thanks, middleman. I'm not alone. ;)
Actually everything is good by adding the entries below with open core on system panel (VRAM, ROM...)
The last thing (and the most important) is adding Metal and Display ports.

Many options to try:
- Modifying IOReg Path on OpenCore
- Modifying AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext, AMDRadeonX6000.kext with good set up;
I think the AMDRadeonNavi23Controller with ATY,Henbury is the best way.
- Maybe Dual card is a problem in this case of configuration ?

I think the solution is in AMDRadeonX6000HWServices.kext (screen 2).
In the kext, under PlugIns there multiple kext for Navi versions.
With AMDRadeonX6700HWLibs.kext...

Thanks for any help !

<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,3,1/0,0/0,0/0,0</string>
<key>ATY,Copyright</key>
<string>1988-2020, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.</string>
<key>ATY,DeviceName</key>
<string>6750 XT</string>
<key>ATY,FamilyName</key>
<string>Radeon RX</string>
<key>ATY,Rom#</key>
<string>113-D5270100-100</string>
<key>ATY,memsize</key>
<integer>12868124672</integer>
<key>ATY,remap-size</key>
<integer>1075838976</integer>
<key>ATY,vram_base</key>
<data>AAAAAIAAAAA=</data>

<key>device_type</key>
<string>gpu-controller</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>Radeon RX 6750 XT</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>ATY_GPU</string>
<key>VRAM,totalMB</key>
<integer>12288</integer>

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-09-26 à 16.24.41.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-09-26 à 16.24.41.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Capture d’écran 2022-09-30 à 15.02.42.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-09-30 à 15.02.42.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
So many reviewers are complaining about the high cost of entry for AMD’s new AM5 platform.

I disagree… :) I’ll be getting that one at the bottom.

4D545897-0491-4D24-B9D8-14E0BECB360B.jpeg

hello @CaseySJ !! How are you? It's been a long time since I've done this build and now I have decided to change the wifi card with a BCM94360NG module. I already did it but without success. Basically the problem is that the BCM card seems to have PCI Lanes problem... the bluetooth is working but the wifi not, on both S.O. (windows and big sur). On Windows I can't see the wifi device from "device manager" but only the bluetooth. I have to say that right now I'm using a lot of stuff:

PCIEX16 Gen4 @ 8x - Nvidia 3060 for windows
PCIEX8 Gen3 @ 4x - AMD 460 (with 560 firmware for better compatibility and performance on hackintosh)
M2A_CPU slot with samsung nvme
M2B_SB slot empty
M2_WIFI with the BCM94360NG module - NOT WORKING

Of course the Intel AX200 is working. I did a try to verify this problem, if I put the BCM module and I remove AMD GPU from PCIEX8 WIFI seems to work so I think is just a pci lanes problem? the strange fact is that INTEL AX200 module works perfectly so right now I put it back...
I have read somewhere that there is a pci lanes problem on the BCM94360NG like it required more than one pci lanes . It's possible? any idea?

Edit: I have a 5600x cpu on this mobo

Last edited:
Has anyone had problems doing Ventura public beta updates using Software Update on this B550 Vision D?

When I use Software Update to update to the next public beta, the update file is downloaded and the install proceeds to about the 15 minute mark when the update stops and displays this dialog.

Failed to Update.png

If I "try again," the file size displayed to be downloaded is now the full installer size, not the former update file size. If I reboot and check the Software Update it again displays the smaller update file size. Starting the update again I eventually reach the 15 minute remaining mark and the "Failed to prepare..." message is displayed again.

If I download the full installer from Apple, and use it to install the updated beta the install proceeds normally.

This has happened for every Ventura beta update on this B550 Vision D. Updates on my other hackintoshes have gone without problems.

Anyone have similar difficulties, or possible suggestions for what is happening with this build?

Back