Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

I'm interested to see what B650 boards come out later this year. Finger's crossed there'll be an ITX board with full fledged Thunderbolt 4! That MAY be enough to compel me to move on from my ATX B550 Vision D-P build, but probably only after a healthy price drop and hopefully by then DDR5 prices will also have come down at least a tad. Perhaps by then there will also be some more higher wattage SFX PSU options out there too. Wait and see mode for me!
There will be two variants of B650:
  • B650
  • B650 Extreme
There's a very good chance (i.e., nearly 100%) that a mini-ITX board with one of the B650 variants will be available. B650 will be released a month after X670, which is to say late October versus late September.

DDR5 prices are already less than half of what they were at the start of the year. I paid US$500 for 32GB of G.Skill 5600MHz memory back in late December, but it's now available for US$225 or so.

Because I skipped Zen 3 -- that is, never purchased a Ryzen 5000 series CPU -- I'm tempted to embrace AM5 and Ryzen 7000.

Because I skipped Zen 3 -- that is, never purchased a Ryzen 5000 series CPU -- I'm tempted to embrace AM5 and Ryzen 7000.
Do I sense an exciting new Golden Build coming here? ;)

Prospective buyers should probably ponder this comment on STH: PCIe 5.0 is driven by data centre needs and is of little to no use for consumers, especially as a single x16 slot because there's no consumer use case for that amount of bandwidth.
People who think that they need PCIe5 for their GPUs can spend extra money on the ‘E’ boards. People who for some reason need connect their desktop machines to 800 Gb/s networking can buy the ‘E’ boards. I think the people who understand something about what is going on inside their machine can save some money and buy the non-E boards.

Starting in about 35 minutes...

JJ is going to make a big dent in my wallet!

Just started looking at some of the new AMD CPUs. Intel has some catching up to do.
A Ryzen 5 7600X beats their Core i9 12900K in GB single core. Wow.

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.49.32 PM.png

Just started looking at some of the new AMD CPUs. Intel has some catching up to do.
Raptor Lake will likely do the catch-up with its IPC improvements over Alder Lake.
A Ryzen 5 7600X beats their Core i9 12900K in GB single core. Wow.
Fair point for AMD marketing to hammer, but it seems that the GeekBench score is somewhat distorted by AVX-512.
Of course, there's some irony in AMD eventually implementing (some ) AVX-512 instructions to jump ahead of Intel (at least in one benchmark) a few months after Intel forcefully removed AVX-512 from the latest Alder Lake stepping… :mrgreen:

Raptor Lake will likely do the catch-up with its IPC improvements over Alder Lake.
Yes, Raptor Lake will likely meet and in some areas exceed Zen 4 (particularly in multi-threading). But just as with PCIe 5.0, most of us simply do not need -- and indeed never use -- so many cores. Content creators, programmers, scientific and academic users, however, will consume gobs of compute power.

Fair point for AMD marketing to hammer, but it seems that the GeekBench score is somewhat distorted by AVX-512.
The Toms Hardware article seems a bit sketchy in its logic. The single-core performance improvement consists of two parts:
  • IPC improvement, which is on average 13% faster over a spectrum of benchmarks. GeekBench shows 14% improvement (just to the right of Mark in the photo)
Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 5.08.06 PM.png

• About 800 MHz higher clock speed.
While the addition of AVX-512 can boost some benchmarks and not others, real-world applications will run faster on faster clocks alone (as long as surrounding latencies are managed well).

Of course, there's some irony in AMD eventually implementing (some ) AVX-512 instructions to jump ahead of Intel (at least in one benchmark) a few months after Intel forcefully removed AVX-512 from the latest Alder Lake stepping… :mrgreen:
I had to do a double-take when I saw this!

I will stay pragmatic ;) and speak about B550 vision D !

On multiple boot, Thunderbolt networking (over IP) on Windows 11 not working if thunderbolt patched with 33 firmware ? The Thunderbolt bridge works on Monterey and Rocky Linux but not with Windows.

I try to load Mojave in VM with Parallels Desktop but I have an issue with loading drivers.
Parallels Desktop is working or not on Ryzentosh ?

I bought an adapter Xiwai Vertical USB 3.1 panel frontal Socket to connect to USB 3.0 20 Pin on the motherboard.
It works perfect to substitute the USB 3.1 header !

Good back to work for everyone !

On multiple boot, Thunderbolt networking (over IP) on Windows 11 not working if thunderbolt patched with 33 firmware ? The Thunderbolt bridge works on Monterey and Rocky Linux but not with Windows.
Flashed firmware is very likely to cause issues in Windows. Our firmware flashing guides warn users that they may see problems in Windows.

I try to load Mojave in VM with Parallels Desktop but I have an issue with loading drivers.
Parallels Desktop is working or not on Ryzentosh ?
Unfortunately virtualization does not work on Ryzen if we use Big Sur or newer. It may or may not work if we run Catalina or Mojave. But in general I advise users against VM on a Ryzen Hackintosh.

Back