Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

@dehjomz,

I moved your post to this AMD Ryzen thread because I was just thinking of posting something very similar here. Because my Ryzen-based B550 Vision D does not have a front-panel USB-C header, I am quite tempted by the new X670E series. Many (all?) of them will feature USB4, but it remains to be seen (a) whether amd-osx gurus will develop the requisite kernel patches and (b) to what extent USB4 is compatible with macOS.

USB4 implies support for Thunderbolt 3 unless the specifications explicitly say USB4 with Thunderbolt 4. So I'm eager to see if any of these boards will support Thunderbolt 4...
Well Intel donated Thunderbolt 3 to the USB-IF for USB 4, so if a USB 4 silicon manufacturer implements all the optional features of USB 4 such as PCIe tunneling, DisplayPort tunneling, Ethernet tunneling, DMA memory protection, USB-pd, and 40 Gbps support, then that USB 4 solution will function like a Thunderbolt 3 or 4 port. So I wouldn’t be surprised for some of the higher end x670e/x670 motherboards implement either Thunderbolt or usb4. I have been using 40 Gbps usb4 cables from cable matters that cost 1/3 the cost of equivalent thunderbolt4 cables and they function just the same. Displayport, 32 Gbps of PCIe, Ethernet, and up to 100W of power delivery.

I’m excited for zen 4, the x670e motherboards seem to be a cut above z690 in terms of pcie5.0 and should have longevity. AMD has stated zen 4 will support up to 28 PCIe 5.0 lanes from the CPU itself. That’s insane. Now some board partners may not utilize all the available bandwidth and may wire their boards with PCIe 4.0 on the PCIe slots. But AMD stated that all their new boards must support at least one PCIe 5.0 NVMe slot. PCIe 5.0 storage is coming this year with speeds exceeding 12,000 MB/sec which is insane. So x670 should last a long time. Most z690 boards on the other hand don’t have pcie5.0 NVMe slots although some manufacturers did implement a PCIe 5.0 NVMe slot or offer an add-in M.2 card with PCIe 5.0 capability.

With the power efficiency of zen4 I may look to it for a mini itx build. But I’m waiting to see how zen 4 stacks up against meteor lake to see which one I’ll choose for my itx build. I just want a cool and quiet small form factor build that packs a punch.

Last edited:
@Draft

Both this and the new SmallTreeIntel drivers can crash the system if the cable is unplugged or the system wakes from sleep. You’re welcome to try each one to see if one of them might be okay for you.
I install Monterey 12.4 on SSD unit and I connect to my Open Core multi boot (Windows 11 and Big Sur 11.6.6) in order to test before changing my daily working OS.

- Thunderbolt with flash NVM 33 firmware works on booth OSX

- Ethernet: (I try the native solution - without SmallTreeIntel - but Monterey frezze after 1 minute starting)
Finally I inject new AppleI2xx.kext advice from @Middleman and everything works fine on both OSX.

- Wifi native: everything works fine on both OSX with AirportItlwm_v2.1.0_stable.kext apply for each version of OSX.

- Bluetooth native: works fine on Big Sur but not very good with Monterey.
The BT module is loading slowly and start with difficulty.
And the mapping is not effective with Trackpad and magic keyboard
Any solution ?

- AMD 6900 XT graphic: everything works fine and natively with both OSX.

Any solution ?
Regarding Intel Bluetooth, please see Monterey -- What does not work in the OpenCore 0.7.8 mini-guide here:

I install Monterey 12.4 on SSD unit and I connect to my Open Core multi boot (Windows 11 and Big Sur 11.6.6) in order to test before changing my daily working OS.

- Thunderbolt with flash NVM 33 firmware works on booth OSX

- Ethernet: (I try the native solution - without SmallTreeIntel - but Monterey frezze after 1 minute starting)
Finally I inject new AppleI2xx.kext advice from @Middleman and everything works fine on both OSX.

- Wifi native: everything works fine on both OSX with AirportItlwm_v2.1.0_stable.kext apply for each version of OSX.

Any solution ?

- AMD 6900 XT graphic: everything works fine and natively with both OSX.
Everything work fine now ! For intel bluetooth on monterey, follow this way

Now my Ryzentosh is Monterey ready ;)

I recently upgraded my Ryzen-based computer based on this thread to a RX 6900 XT. (It previously had an RX 580, which was working fine.) The only major departure from CaseySJ's template was that it was set as a Mac Pro (2019) instead of an iMac Pro.

I made no changes to account for the new video card in my UEFI.

After the hardware upgrade, Windows 10 booted fine, and continues to work--I'm typing this from Windows now. But when I attempt to boot to macOS Big Sur, the progress bar gets to approximately half way and then stalls.

So, a couple questions, since I see other people are using an RX 6900 XT just fine with macOS: do I need to update my UEFI in some way to account for the different video card in macOS?

If no updates are needed, what troubleshooting steps should I take?

I recently upgraded my Ryzen-based computer based on this thread to a RX 6900 XT. (It previously had an RX 580, which was working fine.) The only major departure from CaseySJ's template was that it was set as a Mac Pro (2019) instead of an iMac Pro.

I made no changes to account for the new video card in my UEFI.

After the hardware upgrade, Windows 10 booted fine, and continues to work--I'm typing this from Windows now. But when I attempt to boot to macOS Big Sur, the progress bar gets to approximately half way and then stalls.

So, a couple questions, since I see other people are using an RX 6900 XT just fine with macOS: do I need to update my UEFI in some way to account for the different video card in macOS?

If no updates are needed, what troubleshooting steps should I take?
Please check if boot argument agdpmod=pikera is present in your config.plist --> NVRAM section. It's also possible that you have an RX 6900 XT with a device-id that is not supported in macOS. Because you have Windows 10, use an app such as HWINFO64 on Windows to check the GPU's device ID.

CaseySJ said:
Please check if boot argument agdpmod=pikera is present in your config.plist

Yes, that argument is present.

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 4.36.45 PM.png

The full Hardware ID string that appears in HWINFO64 is "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_73AF&SUBSYS_69051EAE&REV_C0"

So, I guess that means the device ID is 73AF.

From another thread, it looks like the device ID may be the problem then, and I need to set it to spoof 73BF? If that's right, I'd appreciate a link to directions on how to spoof vendor ID. Thanks!

Last edited:
The full Hardware ID string that appears in HWINFO64 is "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_73AF&SUBSYS_69051EAE&REV_C0"

So, I guess that means the vendor ID is 1002, and the device ID is 73AF.
Yes; this means we need to spoof the device ID to 73BF.

In the DeviceProperties section of config.plist you’ll find an entry for the GPU. Simply add:

device-id BF730000 (type=DATA)

Feel free to post screenshot of that page in OpenCore Configurator if you’d like us to verify.
Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 4.19.36 PM.png

Last edited:
Back