Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

@BillyBoy7

Also try booting 12.3.1 using this old OpenCore 0.7.5 EFI folder.

@BillyBoy7

Also try booting 12.3.1 using this old OpenCore 0.7.5 EFI folder.
Ok I will try now with the 0.7.5 EFI thanks.

Unfortunately I dont have a bootable backup so I cant get into MacOS and do the IOReg stuff.

Ok I will try now with the 0.7.5 EFI thanks.

Unfortunately I dont have a bootable backup so I cant get into MacOS and do the IOReg stuff.
If you don't have a bootable backup of 12.1, let me walk through the following:
  1. When you started the upgrade from 12.1 to 12.3.1, the system downloaded the update and began to prepare the update.
  2. Then macOS rebooted. This is Reboot #1.
  3. When OpenCore boot picker appeared, a new boot option appeared and it was selected by default. Do you remember that?
  4. This boot option was called Macintosh HD or something similar. This is a temporary name given by the macOS installer.
  5. When this boot option starts, an Apple logo will appear on a blank screen. A horizontal progress bar will appear under the Apple logo. This is the well known progress bar.
  6. About 1 minute later the progress bar should reach the end and the system should reboot. This is Reboot #2.
  7. Back at the OpenCore boot picker we should see the default boot option to be either Macintosh HD once again or the real name of the boot disk.
  8. The Apple logo and progress bar will appear again. We might see About 10 minutes remaining... or the system might reboot one more time before we get to About 10 minutes remaining.
At which point are you currently stuck at?

If you don't have a bootable backup of 12.1, let me walk through the following:
  1. When you started the upgrade from 12.1 to 12.3.1, the system downloaded the update and began to prepare the update.
  2. Then macOS rebooted. This is Reboot #1.
  3. When OpenCore boot picker appeared, a new boot option appeared and it was selected by default. Do you remember that?
  4. This boot option was called Macintosh HD or something similar. This is a temporary name given by the macOS installer.
  5. When this boot option starts, an Apple logo will appear on a blank screen. A horizontal progress bar will appear under the Apple logo. This is the well known progress bar.
  6. About 1 minute later the progress bar should reach the end and the system should reboot. This is Reboot #2.
  7. Back at the OpenCore boot picker we should see the default boot option to be either Macintosh HD once again or the real name of the boot disk.
  8. The Apple logo and progress bar will appear again. We might see About 10 minutes remaining... or the system might reboot one more time before we get to About 10 minutes remaining.
At which point are you currently stuck at?

I just nuked my SSD with the Monterey install on it and plugged in my Big Sur USB installer.

Ran through the full install and setup, mounted my EFI partition and put the 0.8.0 EFI I shared with you earlier and rebooted and it was working fine. I rebooted several times and during the Open Canopy boot picker it shows in the bottom right the version text and says 0.8.0. So Big Sur appears to be fine.

So I proceeded with downloading the Monterey 12.3.1 update again and went through the installation again. I didnt note down the name at point 3 but it proceeded as you said and at point 8 it said 23 minutes remaining. It then rebooted again and said 10 minutes remaining and then rebooted again to the default option, but as soon as I select it, it has the same issue of going a quarter of the way through on the progress bar and then rebooting back to bios and the boot picker.

I read somewhere about the AppleMCEReporterDisabler kext so I tried enabling that and I managed to boot into Monterey 12.3.1! But then it came up with loads of WindowsServer errors and the monitor just went black.

Thanks for your support Casey.

So after enabling the MCEReporterDisabler.kext both my original OpenCore 0.7.5 and the updated 0.8.0 EFI can now boot into Monterey 12.3.1.

But now I keep getting WindowServer crashes constantly once I log in and the system either hands up freezing or rebooting. Here is the message log I was able to take a photo of:

Attachments

• 6C644369-6445-4299-9CB3-B25B451CE21B.jpeg
    6C644369-6445-4299-9CB3-B25B451CE21B.jpeg
    9.3 MB · Views: 40
  • 5232241D-B536-44BA-BEDC-3F53773B0064.jpeg
    5232241D-B536-44BA-BEDC-3F53773B0064.jpeg
    9.1 MB · Views: 42
So after enabling the MCEReporterDisabler.kext both my original OpenCore 0.7.5 and the updated 0.8.0 EFI can now boot into Monterey 12.3.1.
FYI, AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext is already enabled in the OpenCore 0.8.0 EFI folder I posted earlier...
Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 9.57.53 AM.png

But now I keep getting WindowServer crashes constantly once I log in and the system either hands up freezing or rebooting. Here is the message log I was able to take a photo of:
This looks like a Vega-related problem. Please double check that boot argument agdpmod=pikera is not present in NVRAM section of config.plist.

Incidentally, do you happen to have another AMD GPU such as RX 5xx, RX 5xxx, or RX 6xxx?

Thats even more strange if that kext was present in your EFI then.

I double checked and definitely dont have agdpmod=pikera as a boot arg in NVRAM.

I only have the Vega 56 in Slot 1 and the Nvidia 3070Ti in Slot 2 which is disabled via the SSDT you created for me last year.

I made sure to disable Resize GPU Bar in Bios and in the EFI too.

I fixed it!

Someone told me to replace my boot-arg dk.e1000=0 with e1000=0 and I'm getting no more crashes now on 12.3.1!

So if anyone else is experiencing issues similar to mine, try this.

1653413136174.png

New AMD x670 / x670E motherboards coming to market later this year to power Zen 4... which is AMD's attempt to tackle Alder Lake and the upcoming Raptor Lake.

Image courtesy of techpowerup

View attachment 548275
New AMD x670 / x670E motherboards coming to market later this year to power Zen 4... which is AMD's attempt to tackle Alder Lake and the upcoming Raptor Lake.

Image courtesy of techpowerup
@dehjomz,

I moved your post to this AMD Ryzen thread because I was just thinking of posting something very similar here. Because my Ryzen-based B550 Vision D does not have a front-panel USB-C header, I am quite tempted by the new X670E series. Many (all?) of them will feature USB4, but it remains to be seen (a) whether amd-osx gurus will develop the requisite kernel patches and (b) to what extent USB4 is compatible with macOS.

USB4 implies support for Thunderbolt 3 unless the specifications explicitly say USB4 with Thunderbolt 4. So I'm eager to see if any of these boards will support Thunderbolt 4...

Back