Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Everything seems ok with OpenCore 0.7.6 EFI (F13 Vision D - B550).
Don't forget to "follow these instructions" on the post !

@CaseySJ
What do you think about F14e firmware ?
On the description they said.
• Major vulnerabilities updates, customers are strongly encouraged to update to this release at the earliest.
Credits to "Assaf Carlsbad and Itai Liba from SentinelOne"
• Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.
Gigabyte is releasing new capsule BIOS files for many of their motherboards. These BIOS files are not down-gradable. Once you install this BIOS, you can never go back! You can only go forward...

Fortunately, @canyondust just tested the new capsule BIOS for Z490 Vision G and found that it works with macOS. But I do not know whether the new F14e BIOS for B550 Vision D is safe for macOS, so I cannot recommend it because there is no going back.

Last edited:
Gigabyte is releasing new capsule BIOS files for many of their motherboards. These BIOS files are not down-gradable. Once you install this BIOS, you can never go back! You can only go forward...

Fortunately, @canyondust just tested the new capsule BIOS for Z490 Vision D and found that it works with macOS. But I do not know whether the new F14e BIOS for B550 Vision D is safe for macOS, so I cannot recommend it because there is no going back.

Vision G :)

Fortunately, @canyondust just tested the new capsule BIOS for Z490 Vision G and found that it works with macOS. But I do not know whether the new F14e BIOS for B550 Vision D is safe for macOS, so I cannot recommend it because there is no going back.
Very clear !
I will wait before updating this firmware...Or maybe someone else dares to update it first? :)
Many thanks Casey

@CaseySJ

Hey Casey, it was a no go booting BigSur with the config.plist you did for me. It wouldn't boot past the first set of text, right after you make your choice in the picker, the one right before text starts streaming. So I downloaded 07.6 and grabbed the updated kexts, then added the rest from my 07.5 opencore efi folder. I did leave out the amd power management stuff. I didn't think it made a difference. You tell me if it does? I don't have a graphics card right now anyway.

Thanks,
Steve

@CaseySJ

Hey Casey, it was a no go booting BigSur with the config.plist you did for me. It wouldn't boot past the first set of text, right after you make your choice in the picker, the one right before text starts streaming. So I downloaded 07.6 and grabbed the updated kexts, then added the rest from my 07.5 opencore efi folder. I did leave out the amd power management stuff. I didn't think it made a difference. You tell me if it does? I don't have a graphics card right now anyway.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,

This confirms that the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G is not supported by the kernel patches. This particular processor won't work. Options are:
  • Use a different Ryzen processor, one that does not have on-board iGPU. These are all compatible:
    • Ryzen 5 5600X
    • Ryzen 7 5800X
    • Ryzen 9 5900X / 5950X
  • Previous generation Ryzen 3xxx processors are also compatible as long as they don't have on-board iGPU.
Of course this means a discrete GPU is needed.

Not necessarily, but a Ryzen 5600G is not yet compatible. The following Ryzen processors will work, but they require a discrete AMD GPU:
  • Ryzen 5 3600X and 5600X
  • Ryzen 7 3700X, 3800X and 5800X
  • Ryzen 9 3900X, 5900X, 5950X
I can attest that the Ryzen 9 3950X will also work.

Steve,

This confirms that the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G is not supported by the kernel patches. This particular processor won't work. Options are:
  • Use a different Ryzen processor, one that does not have on-board iGPU. These are all compatible:
    • Ryzen 5 5600X
    • Ryzen 7 5800X
    • Ryzen 9 5900X / 5950X
  • Previous generation Ryzen 3xxx processors are also compatible as long as they don't have on-board iGPU.
Of course this means a discrete GPU is needed.

@CaseySJ

So just to be clear, the Ryzen 5600G won't work, period, even with the onboard graphics disabled. I use a diGPU instead. I should get another Ryzen CPU, such as one list above and use a diGPU with it, or go with an Intel Z390 with Coffee Lake CPU or maybe Z490 motherboard with a Comet Lake CPU, correct?

Thanks for the help,
Steve

@CaseySJ

So just to be clear, the Ryzen 5600G won't work, period, even with the onboard graphics disabled. I use a diGPU instead. I should get another Ryzen CPU, such as one list above and use a diGPU with it, or go with an Intel Z390 with Coffee Lake CPU or maybe Z490 motherboard with a Comet Lake CPU, correct?

Thanks for the help,
Steve
That’s correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back