All the usual questions apply: ;)
  • Which version of BIOS?
F13
  • Which version of macOS?
Big Sur 11.6.1
  • Which Thunderbolt device?
Usb-C: external HDD Porsche design
Thunderbolt: Thunderbolt 3 => Thunderbolt 2 adaptator
  • When did problem first occur? Did problem start recently, but never happened prior to a certain date?
Long time maybe since the beginning
  • Which version of firmware was flashed?
I think it was: Gigabyte-Vision-D-NVM-50-Elias64Fr-CaseySJ

Many thanks for your help Casey!

F13

Big Sur 11.6.1

Usb-C: external HDD Porsche design
Thunderbolt: Thunderbolt 3 => Thunderbolt 2 adaptator

Long time maybe since the beginning

I think it was: Gigabyte-Vision-D-NVM-50-Elias64Fr-CaseySJ

Many thanks for your help Casey!
Some questions/comments:
  • Do you have any other Thunderbolt devices, preferably Thunderbolt 3 devices that can connect directly without TB3-TB2 adapter?
  • To determine the Thunderbolt firmware version, we can open System Information —> Thunderbolt.

Some questions/comments:
  • Do you have any other Thunderbolt devices, preferably Thunderbolt 3 devices that can connect directly without TB3-TB2 adapter?
  • To determine the Thunderbolt firmware version, we can open System Information —> Thunderbolt.
I don't have Thunderbolt 3 devices, I post you the screen of firmware version

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-12-02 à 11.39.47.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-12-02 à 11.39.47.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 38
I don't have Thunderbolt 3 devices, I post you the screen of firmware version
Good -- you have Thunderbolt firmware NVM33. This is the correct version.

Back to the original problem:
  • If you unplug the external Porsche Design HDD after shutdown, the computer restarts.
Thoughts:
  • It's strange that this problem has always been there. This can indicate a deeper issue.
  • Are you using Apple's Thunderbolt3-to-Thunderbolt2 adapter, or a different one?
  • We can try CMOS Reset and configure BIOS parameters again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults.
One final thought is to see if these two options in BIOS (Settings --> Platform Power) make any difference:
  • ErP --> set to Enabled
  • Wake on LAN --> set to Disabled
Make one of the above changes at a time, then try both changes together.

B550-Vision-D-Power-BIOS.jpg

Last edited:

• If you unplug the external Porsche Design HDD after shutdown, the computer restarts.
Thoughts:
  • It's strange that this problem has always been there. This can indicate a deeper issue.
  • Are you using Apple's Thunderbolt3-to-Thunderbolt2 adapter, or a different one?
Yes, the original by Apple
  • We can try CMOS Reset and configure BIOS parameters again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults.
One final thought is to see if these two options in BIOS (Settings --> Platform Power) make any difference:
  • ErP --> set to Enabled
Works great with ErP set to Enabled !
Not tested because the issue has been resolve with Erp

Many thanks Casey! You are the best!

View attachment 536102

• ErP --> set to Enabled

@CaseySJ

It definitely pays to keep up-to-date reading these threads!

With Monterey 12.0.1, BIOS F10, OC 0.7.5.

I had also flashed the TB3 chip to NVM33. If I shut down and forget to eject a TB3 external SSD, and then unplugged the external SSD, the B550 would power back up. I always tried to remember to eject the external SSD before shutting down.

Reading your response to Draft, I also changed the ErP setting to Enabled. Unplugging the TB3 external SSD after shutdown no longer powers the B550 back up.

After switching the ErP setting, the first boot time was around twice normal. Now after rebooting with ErP Enabled, boot times are back to normal.

I have stuck with BIOS F10 because with F13 my B550 wouldn't sleep. I tried F13 again, but still no sleep with ErP Enabled and for some reason the TB3 external SSD would not hot plug and show in Finder. It's not worth playing with so I'm back to F10 which works for me.

Thanks so much!

@CaseySJ

It definitely pays to keep up-to-date reading these threads!

With Monterey 12.0.1, BIOS F10, OC 0.7.5.

I had also flashed the TB3 chip to NVM33. If I shut down and forget to eject a TB3 external SSD, and then unplugged the external SSD, the B550 would power back up. I always tried to remember to eject the external SSD before shutting down.

Reading your response to Draft, I also changed the ErP setting to Enabled. Unplugging the TB3 external SSD after shutdown no longer powers the B550 back up.
@Draft @CaseySJ

I have found that my two SATA internal drives are ejected when the screen saver is activated with ErP Enabled. I'm reverting back to ErP Disabled.

@CaseySJ @Draft

My comments on sleep/wake issues with Monterey and the B550 should probably be disregarded.

I just remembered I had installed "sleepwatcher" in my Monterey 12.0.1 to allow my Ethernet connection to be restored upon wake. (Post # 1,531 by macleap)

"Sleepwatcher" worked for me to maintain my Ethernet connection through sleep/wake. Since I have a "doctored" version of Monterey 12.0.1, I don't know what other side-effects there may be.

Hello CaseySJ,

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but I didn't where to post my issue and seeing as you have pretty much the same mobo, at least chipset wise, I thought maybe you might be able to give me some guidance. My issue is I'm trying to install Big Sur and I'm getting kernel panics. I've tried some different kexts, but get past it. My specs are as follows,

Gigabyte B550M Aorous Pro-P
Ryzen 5600G onboard graphics
Sabrent NVMe 4.0pciE 500gb

Here's a pic my issue. Hopefully you have an idea as to what's going on. Should post my efi folder as well? I tried to, but wouldn't let me.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• PXL_20211205_195123703.jpg
    PXL_20211205_195123703.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 38
Hello CaseySJ,

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but I didn't where to post my issue and seeing as you have pretty much the same mobo, at least chipset wise, I thought maybe you might be able to give me some guidance. My issue is I'm trying to install Big Sur and I'm getting kernel panics. I've tried some different kexts, but get past it. My specs are as follows,

Gigabyte B550M Aorous Pro-P
Ryzen 5600G onboard graphics
Sabrent NVMe 4.0pciE 500gb

Here's a pic my issue. Hopefully you have an idea as to what's going on. Should post my efi folder as well? I tried to, but wouldn't let me.

Thanks,
Steve
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Back