Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

No problem. A much safer solution is this:
  • Find a USB flash disk with an EFI partition.
  • Copy the entire EFI/OC folder from internal macOS SSD to EFI partition of USB flash disk.
  • Open the EFI folder in EFI partition of USB flash disk.
  • From the original OpenCore installation package, copy the entire BOOT folder inside the EFI folder.
    • If you don't have this file, just let me know which version of OpenCore is installed, and I'll post the correct BOOT folder.
  • The EFI folder on the USB flash disk should then look like this:
View attachment 533321
  • We should check that these two files have the same Creation Date:
    • EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
    • EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi
  • Now we can boot the computer and press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen.
  • This will open the BIOS Boot Menu.
  • Select the USB flash disk.
  • Now you should see OpenCore boot picker.
I learn Something
Thanks

@macleap

I purchased two USB2 16GB thumb drives and followed the QFlash Plus instructions to attempt to update from F10 to F13. But over hours of trial I was unsuccessful.

I formatted the thumb drive FAT32, copied and renamed the F13 BIOS file "gigabyte.bin," inserted in the "white" USB2 board port, powered the board on, and pushed the QFP button on the board.

What occurred with each failed attempt:

a) the QFP LED on the board blinked for about 80 seconds
b) the fans and board powered up, the LED turned solid, then blinked slowly for about 10 seconds
c) the board powered down with the LED turned off
d) on booting the BIOS reported "BIOS has been updated..." but it hadn't
e) my desired BIOS settings required resetting.

This process should take 4-5 minutes when run properly.

Further attempts were made re-downloading the F13 file from the Gigabyte site via a Windows computer. The thumb drive was reformatted via Windows as FAT32, and the BIOS file was copied to the drive and renamed.

I made an attempt by changing the BIOS file name to "GIGABYTE.bin" That failed.

I made another attempt using "GIGABYTE.bin" but included the other three files from the compressed download to see if that made any difference. That failed.

I tried using a different USB2 thumb drive. That failed.

I'm at a loss why QFP isn't working for me. Probably a user error, but I have tried about every option I can think of.

Perhaps doesn't like the fact that I flashed the TB3 card? There are numerous reports on-line of Gigabyte boards failing to run QFP. So maybe it's not my error?

Thanks @macleap for your detailed assistance. Now to see if I can implement "SleepWatcher."
Did you see what code was on the debug led when the board powered up? Did it say 15? Or 00? 00 means it was successful; any other code the update was not performed. I can also suggest that you flash 1st F10 version, and then go to F13. DO NOT TRY F14e!!!

The USB can be formatted from macOS, make sure to choose MBR (NOT GPT) and FAT32. Also the QFLASH USB port is the one directly above the PS/2 port.

Did you see what code was on the debug led when the board powered up? Did it say 15? Or 00? 00 means it was successful; any other code the update was not performed. I can also suggest that you flash 1st F10 version, and then go to F13. DO NOT TRY F14e!!!

The USB can be formatted from macOS, make sure to choose MBR (NOT GPT) and FAT32. Also the QFLASH USB port is the one directly above the PS/2 port.
@macleap

Thanks for your comments. The QFP USB with F13 was definitely formatted properly. I tested both Mac and PC formatted QFP F13 USBs and failures were identical. I was also definitely using the QFP USB port above the PS/2 port. I didn't notice what the debug code was on all the earlier attempts.

I just tried to QFP F10 over already installed F10 with the same results as before. Power comes on after about 80 seconds of LED blinking, then power goes off after about another 20 seconds. The debug code displayed during power on was 00, but I don't believe it's possible to update the BIOS in 100 seconds from the USB2 port. It takes over 4 minutes to do the QF update from a USB3 flash drive.

Also when I tried the QFP of F13 over F10 earlier today, with the same sequence time of around 100 seconds total, BIOS on restart showed F10 was still the installed BIOS.

Unfortunately QFP installation is just not working with this board.

Thanks again for your help. It's time to abandon this testing.

@NCMacGuy,

Out of curiosity, what is the make/model of your 16GB USB 2.0 flash drives?

@macleap

Thanks for your comments. The QFP USB with F13 was definitely formatted properly. I tested both Mac and PC formatted QFP F13 USBs and failures were identical. I was also definitely using the QFP USB port above the PS/2 port. I didn't notice what the debug code was on all the earlier attempts.

I just tried to QFP F10 over already installed F10 with the same results as before. Power comes on after about 80 seconds of LED blinking, then power goes off after about another 20 seconds. The debug code displayed during power on was 00, but I don't believe it's possible to update the BIOS in 100 seconds from the USB2 port. It takes over 4 minutes to do the QF update from a USB3 flash drive.

Also when I tried the QFP of F13 over F10 earlier today, with the same sequence time of around 100 seconds total, BIOS on restart showed F10 was still the installed BIOS.

Unfortunately QFP installation is just not working with this board.

Thanks again for your help. It's time to abandon this testing.
I did it this morning without problem... it works on this board. It's you or your usb or something else... make sure to do it in the right way

Hello
As I'm reading the thread, I understand that to have working DRM
You need A specific argument & WEG kext loaded
Is that correct ?
Even so the SMBIOS has it own influence on DRM
Is that Correct ?
I'll try SMBIOS MacPro7,1 +WEG+shikigva=128 and report

Yes your understanding is correct.

That would be great if you could test also and report what you find. Thank you.

I did it this morning without problem... it works on this board. It's you or your usb or something else... make sure to do it in the right way
@Vorshim92

It's something else. It wouldn't be the first time one board acted differently than another identical board. If I had another brand USB 2.0 thumb drive I would try it again. Knowing USB3 flash drives were highly discouraged, I tried anyway with the same failure mode.

Have you flashed your TB3 controller?

Did F13 do anything for sleep/wake?

@NCMacGuy

To create your custom script open terminal and type "sudo vi /etc/rc.wakeup", the vi editor will open with an empty file. Press "i" (you will see insert at the bottom of the window) paste the following on terminal:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
networksetup -setMTU en0 9000
networksetup -setMTU en0 1500
networksetup -setMTU en1 9000
networksetup -setMTU en1 1500

I am assuming that your I211 Network contorllers are en0 and en1.

Then press "ESC", then ":" and finally "w" to write the changes, you will see a message at the bottom. To exit vi press ":" and then "q". At the same terminal window type "sudo chmod +x /etc/rc.wakeup" to make the script executable.

To autostart sleepwatcher you have to add a launchdeamon, to do that open terminal and type "sudo vi /Library/LaunchDaemons/de.bernhard-baehr.sleepwatcher.plist", the vi editor will open with an empty file. Press "i" (you will see insert at the bottom of the window) paste the following on terminal:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>de.bernhard-baehr.sleepwatcher</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/usr/local/sbin/sleepwatcher</string>
        <string>-w /etc/rc.wakeup</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Assuming that sleep watcher is installed at "/usr/local/sbin/sleepwatcher", if not chnage it accordingly.

Then press "ESC", then ":" and finally "w" to write the changes, you will see a message at the bottom. To exit vi press ":" and then "q". You are done.

Reboot and it the script will be executed everytime the computer wakes. Also in case the Network hangs during normal use, you can press sleep to reset the network without restarting.
@macleap

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. Everything is working well with ethernet being re-established after sleep. The only side-effect I noticed is that the boot time seems to be increased from around 20 seconds to 50 seconds.

There was one additional step you didn't mention. On reboot there was a security check of sleepwatcher. After clicking "Cancel" a window kept popping up until I approved sleepwatcher.

Developer Not Identified.jpg

I approved sleepwatcher in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General "Allow apps downloaded from:"

This work-around works, but I'm looking forward to a genius programmer to provide a kext that works with Monterey.

Thanks again!!

@macleap

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. Everything is working well with ethernet being re-established after sleep. The only side-effect I noticed is that the boot time seems to be increased from around 20 seconds to 50 seconds.

There was one additional step you didn't mention. On reboot there was a security check of sleepwatcher. After clicking "Cancel" a window kept popping up until I approved sleepwatcher.

View attachment 533393

I approved sleepwatcher in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General "Allow apps downloaded from:"

This work-around works, but I'm looking forward to a genius programmer to provide a kext that works with Monterey.

Thanks again!!
Hi NCMacGuy,

It is better to remove sleepwatcher from the system preferences exclusion. Instead do one of the following:

1. Find sleepwatcher in finder and the right-click open and then press allow at the warning, or
2. in terminal write: "sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /usr/local/sbin/sleepwatcher"

Then sleepwatcher will be authorized to run. I will edit the original post and the above for future reference...

Regarding the Boot time delay, I have no side effect from sleepwatcher, and you shouldn't also.... Except if it is a one time issue with the security check...

Last edited:
Back