Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Interesting. @CaseySJ do you suggest to start from f10 bios version?
Sure, try BIOS F10 using the F10 OpenCore EFI folder.

In my case, sleep and wake work normally with both BIOS F10 and BIOS F13, and both Big Sur and Monterey.

My configuration is as follows:
  • Fenvi Broadcom BCM94360NG WiFi/BT M.2 card
  • Thunderbolt controller flashed with NVM 33
  • AMD RX 5600 XT GPU with boot argument agdpmod=pikera(necessary for 5000 and 6000 series GPUs)
  • No devices attached to Thunderbolt controller
  • USB keyboard and mouse
  • Also Logitech MX Master 3 Bluetooth mouse
  • Silicon Power NVMe SSD (PCIe 3.0)
  • Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
  • Two SATA SSDs, one of which contains Windows 11 and the other has Windows 10
  • Asus Designo MX27UC 4K monitor connected via DisplayPort cable
  • Two OLOy 16GB memory modules at 3600 MHz (total 32GB)
  • BeQuiet! air cooler
  • Nothing connected to internal USB 2.0 headers
  • Motherboard F_U32 (USB 3.x front panel header) connected to a dual-port PCI slot plate
    • Keyboard, mouse, USB Audio DAC connected to the plate

Last edited:
Sure, try BIOS F10 using the F10 OpenCore EFI folder.

In my case, sleep and wake work normally with both BIOS F10 and BIOS F13, and both Big Sur and Monterey.

My configuration is as follows:
  • Fenvi Broadcom BCM94360NG WiFi/BT M.2 card
  • AMD RX 5600 XT GPU with boot argument agdpmod=pikera(necessary for 5000 and 6000 series GPUs)
    • No other PCIe cards
  • USB keyboard and mouse
  • Also Logitech MX Master 3 Bluetooth mouse
  • Silicon Power NVMe SSD (PCIe 3.0)
  • Two SATA SSDs, one of which contains Windows 11 and the other has Windows 10
  • Asus Designo MX27UC 4K monitor connected via DisplayPort cable
  • Two OLOy 16GB memory modules at 3600 MHz (total 32GB)
  • BeQuiet! air cooler

@CaseySJ @Vorshim92

I used CaseySJ's provided EFI for OC 0.7.4 and BIOS F10 with mods in ACPI to activate the SSDT for the RX 580 in Slot 1, modify Kernel -> Patch the first three items for my 8 core CPU, and entered my platform info.

My hardware that might seemingly impact shutdown is very similar:
  • Fenvi Broadcom BCM94360NG WiFi/BT M.2 card - replaced Intel card.
  • AMD RX 580 Sapphire 8GB
    • No other PCIe cards
  • USB keyboard and mouse through rear lower USB 2 port.
  • Two SATA HDDs - Port 0 and Port 1
  • LG Ultrawide 4K monitor connected via HDMI from RX 580
  • Two Corsair Vengence 16GB memory modules at 3200 MHz (total 32GB)
  • Corsair H115i Pro Liquid Cooler (USB for PC setup is not connected)
  • Front case USB connectors to the board F_U32 connector.
Shutdown/wakeup works fine with Big Sur 11.6 and Monterey Beta 9. System setting for Wake on LAN is Disabled, BIOS F10 setting for Wake on LAN is enabled (by default).

For the time being I will stick with F10.

Interesting. I will do a list like this and I'll describes everything, just to be sure. Unfortunately I have no time this week to work on my ryzentosh so I have to wait this weekend. Meantime I want to ask you some question reading your configurations and suggestions if I can.
1) first one is in thundebolt controller, I have always my thunderbolt uad Apollo twin mk2. But I didn't flash the modded firmware but I can because I bought everything to do that, if you remember I asked you before buy it. My question is, with the modded firmware I'm going to lose thunderbolt support on windows? And in this case if I have a PCI gigabyte Titan ridge or alpine ridge, I don't remember, may I use the internal for windows and the PCI for Mac? Or viceversa.
p.s. Little update, is an alpine ridge 2.0
2) I have rx580 on slot 1. Your ssdt for rx580 for iMac pro is essential? Im not using it right now

** AMD Next Generation AM5 Platform **

In an official YouTube video posted by AMD yesterday, the company refuted rumors that AM5 will only support PCIe Gen 4 instead of Gen 5. In fact the next generation of AMD Zen is gearing up to look like this:
  • Possibly a firmware based method of regulating power to Zen 4 cores to (dynamically?) operate in either high-performance or high-efficiency modes?
  • Zen cores are already smaller and more power efficient than their x86 competitors, which makes them conducive to a firmware-based method of energy regulation while staying competitive with “true” P-core/E-core architectures.
  • AM5 platform will support PCIe 5.0. This was a significant surprise!
  • AM5 will also support USB4 (Thunderbolt 4) and DDR5 memory.
  • New machine learning extensions are being developed for upcoming Ryzen processors.
  • A Zen 3 refresh is still on track for existing AM4 platforms, featuring 3D V-cache for a 15% uplift in performance (although they referred to gaming performance).
So AM5 promises to be just as leading-edge as Intel’s Z690.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Thunderbolt is not working consistently. Sometime when i power off and power on the system thunderbolt devices are not detects. This is happening very often. If it is like this and if allow the system to sleep and then wake it up then thunderbolt devices are detected. It is strange that when i power on the thunderbolt devices are not detected. But wake from sleep detects the thunderbolt devices. My system is set to sleep only monitors and not the computer. Because deep sleep does not work in my system.

Is there any way we can make the thunderbolt stable like always detect on power off and power on.

Thanks
If you see in the first page there is a section just for thunderbolt with original firmware and the difference with the modded firmware. I have also this problems.... Sometimes it doesn't work and sometimes yes but it never worked on warm boot. But my problem I think is related to the dual boot with windows 11 maybe? Anyway in the older post I asked to @CaseySJ if the modded firmware will make to lose the functionality on windows.

@CaseySJ

Thunderbolt is not working consistently. Sometime when i power off and power on the system thunderbolt devices are not detects. This is happening very often. If it is like this and if allow the system to sleep and then wake it up then thunderbolt devices are detected. It is strange that when i power on the thunderbolt devices are not detected. But wake from sleep detects the thunderbolt devices. My system is set to sleep only monitors and not the computer. Because deep sleep does not work in my system.

Is there any way we can make the thunderbolt stable like always detect on power off and power on.

Thanks
Thunderbolt device connectivity can depend on the specific Thunderbolt device. Some devices connect and reconnect more reliably than others. What are the specific makes/models of your Thunderbolt devices?

If you see in the first page there is a section just for thunderbolt with original firmware and the difference with the modded firmware. I have also this problems.... Sometimes it doesn't work and sometimes yes but it never worked on warm boot. But my problem I think is related to the dual boot with windows 11 maybe? Anyway in the older post I asked to @CaseySJ if the modded firmware will make to lose the functionality on windows.
I have had very good results after flashing the Thunderbolt firmware on my B550 Vision D, but my Thunderbolt devices are few:
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro
  • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter (Thunderbolt 2)
  • Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
However, when we flash the controller we switch it into OS Connection Manager Mode, which is something Windows and Linux do not support. Windows and Linux support Internal Connection Manager or ICM mode, in which the Thunderbolt firmware manages device connections entirely on its own with no assistance from the OS.

Windows and Linux will therefore exhibit various problems with Thunderbolt. The specific problems you'll encounter depend on the version of Windows/Linux and the device being connected.

Real Macs do not use ICM mode; real Macs always use OS Connection Manager. MacOS supports both modes, but with OS Managed Mode, we improve overall Thunderbolt compatibility (macOS only).

Last edited:
Thunderbolt device connectivity can depend on the specific Thunderbolt device. Some devices connect and reconnect more reliably than others. What are the specific makes/models of your Thunderbolt devices?

I have had very good results after flashing the Thunderbolt firmware on my B550 Vision D, but my Thunderbolt devices are few:
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro
  • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter (Thunderbolt 2)
  • Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
However, when we flash the controller we switch it into OS Connection Manager Mode, which is something Windows and Linux do not support. Windows and Linux support Internal Connection Manager or ICM mode, in which the Thunderbolt firmware manages device connections entirely on its own with no assistance from the OS.

Windows and Linux will therefore exhibit various problems with Thunderbolt. The specific problems you'll encounter depends on the version of Windows/Linux and the device being connected.

Real Macs do not use ICM mode; real Macs always use OS Connection Manager. MacOS supports both modes, but with OS Managed Mode, we improve overall Thunderbolt compatibility (macOS only).
Ok! Understood! So what do you suggest in my case? maybe to flash the PCI Thunderbolt and leave the internal thunderbolt for windows? or viceversa? Which one gives more stability on mac with the modded firmware? (I have an Alpine Ridge 2.0 Gigabyte)

Ok! Understood! So what do you suggest in my case? maybe to flash the PCI Thunderbolt and leave the internal thunderbolt for windows? or viceversa? Which one gives more stability on mac with the modded firmware? (I have an Alpine Ridge 2.0 Gigabyte)
This is a tricky question:
  • Flashing the internal Titan Ridge controller is more difficult, but results in better Thunderbolt reliability than a flashed add-in-card.
    • We must be very careful when connecting and disconnecting the SOIC8 clip to Thunderbolt firmware flash ROM chip!
  • It is easier to flash a Thunderbolt add-in-card such as GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge, but a flashed add-in-card is not as reliable as a flashed on-board controller.
The recommendation would be:
  • Carefully and gently flash the on-board controller.
    • Use this in macOS.
  • Leave the add-in-card alone.
    • Use this in Windows.

This is a tricky question:
  • Flashing the internal Titan Ridge controller is more difficult, but results in better Thunderbolt reliability than a flashed add-in-card.
    • We must be very careful when connecting and disconnecting the SOIC8 clip to Thunderbolt firmware flash ROM chip!
  • It is easier to flash a Thunderbolt add-in-card such as GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge, but a flashed add-in-card is not as reliable as a flashed on-board controller.
The recommendation would be:
  • Carefully and gently flash the on-board controller.
    • Use this in macOS.
  • Leave the add-in-card alone.
    • Use this in Windows.
Ok. I agree. I'm going to see every post from your thread about flashing the b550 thunderbolt firmware. Crossfinger! ☺️

P.s. Of course I can disable the add-in-card with an ssdt only for osx no? (if osi darwin eccecc i think). And for the internal I have to disable it too for windows or it useless?

Last edited:
Ok. I agree. I'm going to see every post from your thread about flashing the b550 thunderbolt firmware. Crossfinger! ☺️

P.s. Of course I can disable the add-in-card with an ssdt only for osx no? (if osi darwin eccecc i think). And for the internal I have to disable it too for windows or it useless?
Actually it should be okay to have both Thunderbolt controllers active. On the Mac we will need two Thunderbolt SSDTs, each with a different Thunderbolt Bus ID and different UID. We can easily generate new Thunderbolt SSDTs using @Inqnuam's HackinDROM Website (not app). We can help you with that.

Back