Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

@BillyBoy7,

Some questions:
  • Is the on-board Thunderbolt firmware flashed? For best compatibility with Windows we should not flash it.
  • In Windows, does the Thunderbolt controller sometimes disappear from Device Manager only when the Logitech Streamcam is plugged in, or even when no USB-C devices are connected?
  • In macOS, if you perform a cold boot (i.e. shutdown system, flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then power backup) directly into macOS, does sleep/wake work with and without the Streamcam connected?

@BillyBoy7,

Some questions:
  • Is the on-board Thunderbolt firmware flashed? For best compatibility with Windows we should not flash it.
  • In Windows, does the Thunderbolt controller sometimes disappear from Device Manager only when the Logitech Streamcam is plugged in, or even when no USB-C devices are connected?
  • In macOS, if you perform a cold boot (i.e. shutdown system, flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then power backup) directly into macOS, does sleep/wake work with and without the Streamcam connected?
Thanks for replying CaseySJ.

I definitely haven’t flashed the onboard Thunderbolt.

I’m going to run those tests tomorrow so I can answer your other points.

Is anyone else having problems with HackinDROM being offline? I can't seem to download the latest version. Also, my installed version (v1.5.0) requires me to right-click, then select "show package contents" before opening the HackinDROM terminal executable inside Contents>MacOS in order to run.
Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 2.32.19 PM.png

EDIT: For those wondering why HackinDROM is down today, I just found this on a different thread:
"Electricity issue here because of thunderstorms
no HackinDROM server until tomorrow [9/15/21] 9AM (Europe Time)
sorry!"

Last edited:
@BillyBoy7,

Some questions:

I tested it on Windows. The Thunderbolt 3 controller along with the Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 and USB Root Hub (3.0) disappear sometimes both with the Logitech StreamCam plugged in and not plugged in.

I tested it in MacOS as you stated it both with and without the Logitech StreamCam plugged in and it resulted in the same Panics.

I also noticed that the USB Type C with Titan Ridge option appears and disappears from the BIOS itself as a category.

I'm starting to think something is up with the actual motherboard. I will try flashing the BIOS firmware again to see if it fixes anything. I tried going back down to F10 and while it appeared to be better initially the same thing just happened again. Will try with F13 again now and I noticed that Gigabyte released F14c so I might try that with Windows only of course to see if it fixes anything. Fingers crossed!

Is anyone else having problems with HackinDROM being offline? I can't seem to download the latest version. Also, my installed version (v1.5.0) requires me to right-click, then select "show package contents" before opening the HackinDROM terminal executable inside Contents>MacOS in order to run.
View attachment 528922

EDIT: For those wondering why HackinDROM is down today, I just found this on a different thread:
"Electricity issue here because of thunderstorms
no HackinDROM server until tomorrow [9/15/21] 9AM (Europe Time)
sorry!"
@Inqnuam recently reported power outage in his region, so HackinDROM is expected to be down for several hours.

@Inqnuam recently reported power outage in his region, so HackinDROM is expected to be down for several hours.
I came here to see if there was an update to HackinDROM/EFI that I need to apply before updating to the 11.6 security update.

I came here to see if there was an update to HackinDROM/EFI that I need to apply before updating to the 11.6 security update.
We can safely update macOS without updating OpenCore. No changes are needed to the existing OpenCore EFI.

Looks like its the motherboard! :(

@CaseySJ do you have any recommendations on any other decent AMD motherboards? Getting a hold of another Vision D is really tricky now. All the shops appear to stock only the D-P variant.

I dont mind if it doenst have Thunderbolt to be honest. I was checking around and heard that some are having a very good experience with the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master so maybe I will go with that.

I also saw that the ASRock X570 Taichi works well - @CaseySJ are there any known issues with that board?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like its the motherboard! :(

@CaseySJ do you have any recommendations on any other decent AMD motherboards? Getting a hold of another Vision D is really tricky now. All the shops appear to stock only the D-P variant.

I dont mind if it doenst have Thunderbolt to be honest. I was checking around and heard that some are having a very good experience with the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master so maybe I will go with that.

I also saw that the ASRock X570 Taichi works well - @CaseySJ are there any known issues with that board?

Thanks for all your help!
Some comments:
  • Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P
    • We experienced Thunderbolt connection problems in macOS that we were unable to solve.
    • On-board Intel i225-V 2.5GbE Ethernet port has connection problems in macOS that we were unable to solve.
  • ASRock X570 Taichi
    • Thunderbolt add-in-cards such as GC-Titan Ridge encounter all sorts of connection problems.
    • ASRock's DSDT/SSDT (ACPI) is the most non-standard and convoluted mess that I've come across. I cannot recommend any of ASRock's AMD motherboards (their Intel boards might be fine; I have no direct experience with them however).
I would therefore recommend one of Gigabyte's or Asus' AMD boards, but you'll be faced with the task of customizing the OpenCore EFI. The only tricky part is configuring the USB ports.

In the User Builds section, there is a guide for Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite:

One could add a Thunderbolt AIC to that system even though the board lacks a Thunderbolt header. Alternatively, you may want to consider the Intel-based Gigabyte Z490 Vision G. The Vision G is fully supported in my "Z490 Vision D" thread and it works quite will with a Thunderbolt add-in-card. Vision G has a Thunderbolt header. Intel Z490 boards might become extremely difficult to find soon, but the Vision G is currently available.

Back