Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Luckily, I was able to snag the ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME on pre-order from NewEgg yesterday during the livestream. I haven't decided if it'll be a Hackintosh yet, but I plan to fully kit it out. I've already got a 5950X and 128GB of 3600MHz memory in route. Now I just need to config & order an EK water setup and then wait for the Corsair 7000D to come back into stock.
Have you received the Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Extreme? If so, what are your impressions so far?

Have you received the Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Extreme? If so, what are your impressions so far?
The motherboard arrived on Tuesday while I was traveling. My first impression it that it's a BEAST. No joke; it easily ways 5+ lbs. Unfortunately, my new Corsair 7000D Airflow also arrived Tuesday but was severely damaged. I returned it to Best Buy, and promptly ordered a white 5000D Airflow direct from Corsair along with a custom water-cooling loop and 64GB of 3600MHz memory. I've got the 5950X in already, but have to wait for everything else to arrive later this week before I can start building my new rig. I'll let you know once I've got it up and running.
IMG_0542.jpeg

Hello

It seems that with OpenCore 7.2, a Radeon RX 580 and a version of Mojave, installation of Mojave (10.4.4 in the year of 2019) is possible as iMacPro1,1. There is at the end a stop for to install after 8 minutes.
(argument or support for mojave in opencore ?)
This is realized on my config as: B500 vision D, processor AMD 5950X, a RX580 and NVMe SP 1T.

I will give more information later.

Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI for B550 Vision D / ASRock X570 Taichi **
Supports Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

For BIOS F10

Update 9 Sep 2021:
HackinDROM 2.0.0 Beta (click here) can be used to update to OpenCore 0.7.3

Supports both BIOS F10 and F13 on B550 Vision D
Also supports ASRock X570 Taichi

To make changes to OpenCore config.plist, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator is set to 0.7.3 Release Version (do not use OpenCore Configurator 2.48.1.0 or earlier)​

This update includes:

1. OpenCore 0.7.3
2. VirtualSMC 1.2.7
3. AppleALC 1.6.4
4. Lilu 1.5.6
5. WhateverGreen 1.5.3
6. RestrictEvents 1.0.4

Changes to config.plist:
  • UEFI --> Drivers format has changed from simple array to dict. Please do not use OpenCore Configurator 2.48.1.0 or earlier as it will corrupt the config.plist.
  • PlatformInfo --> UpdateSMBIOSMode has been changed from Create to Custom. Additionally, kernel quirk CustomSMBIOSGuid has been enabled. This allows Windows to use the computer name you specified. Thanks to @Ploddles for the tip.
Reminder:
  • Radeon VII users must disable boot argument agdpmod=pikera. Vega users may need to do the same.

WARNING: Until OpenCore Configurator 2.48.2.0 is released, we can only use a Plist Editor or text editor such as BBEdit and follow the procedure below:
  1. Download the ZIP file
  2. It will downloaded into a folder called EFI-073-B550-VISION-D
    • Rename this top level folder to EFI
  3. Choose appropriate config.plist as follows:
    • This EFI folder contains the latest AMD-OSX kernel patches. These patches support Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey. However, the patches must be tailored to the number of CPU cores (not total thread count). This means that 6-core, 8-core, 12-core, and 16-core CPUs need to use their own slightly modified kernel patches.
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 4.31.50 PM.png
    • Simply choose the config file corresponding to your AMD Ryzen processor and rename that file to config.plist.
  4. Edit the new config.plist in a Plist Editor or text editor such as BBEdit
  5. Open your current config.plist in the same editor
  6. Copy the selected section from current config.plist and paste it into new config.plist
    Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 7.44.11 AM.png
  7. Save the new config.plist
  8. WARNING: If you have customized your config.plist, it may be best to wait until OpenCore Configurator 2.48.2.0 or newer is released that supports 0.7.3 Release Version (not 0.7.3 Development Version)
  9. Copy the new EFI folder to the EFI partition of a USB flash drive
  10. Boot the system from the USB flash drive by pressing F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen and selecting the USB flash disk
  11. When OpenCore Picker GUI appears, check that bottom right corner says REL-073-...
  12. If macOS boots and runs properly, then copy the new EFI folder to the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD

For manual update purposes, the ZIP file is attached below.

Updates:
  • 7 Sep 2021: First version
  • 8 Sep 2021: Replaced the EFI folder because OpenCore.efi was mistakenly not updated to 0.7.3. If you downloaded the previous EFI ZIP, simply replace OpenCore.efi in the EFI/OC folder.

Attachments

• EFI-073-B550-VISION-D.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Just wanted to say thank you so much. I finally got my Vision D build sorted. I have a 5950X and I'm on F13 bios with the latest OpenCore release 0.7.3. It has all installed fine and all 16 cores are showing in AMD Power Gadget.

I have one issue though and I was wondering if you could please help.

I have an AMD Radeon Vega 56 in the first PCI slot on the motherboard (the top one closest to the CPU) and an Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti in the 2nd slot. I tried disabling the slot using the device properties method but that hasn't worked as it still shows up in System Report:

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 15.55.39.png

I found the PCI path in Device Manager on Windows but I don't know how to write this out in the correct format for an SSDT. Here is the file path:

Capture.PNG

Can you please help. Many thanks!

@BillyBoy7 In this thread it i said that efi with opencore 0.7.3 is made for bios F10. How did you make it compatible with bios F13. i am setting up the new vision d build. could you please share the steps to make it work with bios F13. Thanks
Simply select B550 Vision D BIOS F13 (AMD Ryzen) from the HackinDROM App as shown:

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 8.39.53 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
@CaseySJ

Just wanted to say thank you so much. I finally got my Vision D build sorted. I have a 5950X and I'm on F13 bios with the latest OpenCore release 0.7.3. It has all installed fine and all 16 cores are showing in AMD Power Gadget.
Glad to hear it!

I have one issue though and I was wondering if you could please help.

I have an AMD Radeon Vega 56 in the first PCI slot on the motherboard (the top one closest to the CPU) and an Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti in the 2nd slot. I tried disabling the slot using the device properties method but that hasn't worked as it still shows up in System Report:

I found the PCI path in Device Manager on Windows but I don't know how to write this out in the correct format for an SSDT. Here is the file path:

Can you please help. Many thanks!
Sure. Simply run IORegistryExplorer, scroll down to the Nvidia device tree and post a screenshot.

This is weird @CaseySJ

I opened IORegistryExplorer but I can't find the Nvidia device tree. I done a search for Nvidia and nothing came up. I done this both with my attempt at disabling it in device properties both present and then removed from the config.plist and the results were the same.

I checked the next tree under the Vega 56 and this is what I have:
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 17.29.44.png

And here is the Vega 56 Tree:

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 17.31.18.png

Sorry if I'm being an idiot.

This is weird @CaseySJ

I opened IORegistryExplorer but I can't find the Nvidia device tree. I done a search for Nvidia and nothing came up. I done this both with my attempt at disabling it in device properties both present and then removed from the config.plist and the results were the same.

I checked the next tree under the Vega 56 and this is what I have:
Screenshot #1 is the right one. Because there is no driver for your particular Nvidia GPU, macOS attaches the default VGA driver (IONDRVFramebuffer). Let me see if I can cook up a little SSDT to suppress that device.

@BillyBoy7 Thank you thats really helpful

@CaseySJ Thank you very much for the incredible work. When i use a 6900 xt graphics card should i use iMacPro1,1 or MacPro 7,1? Does it make any difference?
Both of those are viable options. If you select MacPro 7,1 then we'll need to enable "RestrictEvents.kext" in order to suppresses a barrage of memory configuration notifications.

Back