Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Right, thats what i thought! :)

Just created a Windows 11 fresh install USB flash disk and performed the installation on my Gigabyte B550 Vision D.
  • I followed this guide on Tom's Hardware.
  • It was necessary to update to BIOS F13 in order to enable TPM properly.
  • This means, of course, that PCI paths for Thunderbolt and some other devices have changed. Will create a new OpenCore EFI folder that can be used with BIOS F13, but no guarantees that everything will work as it does with BIOS F10.
  • Will test macOS under BIOS F13 in the coming days.
Some notes on Windows 11:
  • Windows 11 was installed on a 2.5" 256GB SATA SSD.
  • It was necessary to enable fTPM in BIOS Setup.
  • Unlike Windows 10, it was not necessary to physically remove macOS SSDs.
  • The welcome wizard is much nicer and more Mac-like.
  • All windows have rounded corners, which is again Mac-like.
  • The task bar is centered by default, yup, Mac-like.
  • Apps launch almost instantly.
  • The entire GUI has been refreshed and is significantly nicer. I didn't expect GUI changes to be so thorough.

Screenshot 2021-08-15 175034.png

Posted from Windows 11.

Last edited:
  • This means, of course, that PCI paths for Thunderbolt and some other devices have changed. Will create a new OpenCore EFI folder that can be used with BIOS F13, but no guarantees that everything will work as it does with BIOS F10.
OpenCore 0.7.2 EFI has been modified for BIOS F13. Good news...
  • Minor changes were necessary to the OpenCore 0.7.2 EFI to support BIOS F13 on Gigabyte B550 Vision D.
  • Thunderbolt hot plug works.
  • Thunderbolt USB-C (USB 3) devices connect.
  • Thunderbolt Alt-Mode devices also connect via Thunderbolt (instead of USB 3) when connected to Thunderbolt ports.
  • Sleep/Wake works (but I had to disconnect my USB-C hub).
  • Be sure to disable Resizable BAR support in BIOS (it is disabled by default).
The new EFI is available from HackinDROM app.

STEPS:
  1. Click Create EFI
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 5.58.35 AM.png
  2. Select Vendor = Gigabyte and Motherboard = B550 Vision D BIOS F13 (AMD Ryzen)
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 5.56.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 5.55.45 AM.png
  3. Also select AMD CPU Total Cores as shown above. HackinDROM will select the correct number of cores by default. Double-check the number.
  4. Then click Select Folder (top right of HackinDROM window) in which the new EFI will be created.
  5. Now select PlatformInfo --> Import from: My System.
  6. Finally, click Save to Folder.
Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 6.04.01 AM.png

It is always advisable to copy the new EFI folder to EFI partition of a USB flash drive and test the system. If everything is okay, then copy EFI folder to EFI partition of internal macOS SSD.

nicer and more Mac-like.
This is one reason Bill Gates gave Apple a loan to keep them going back in the dark days of 1997. He knew that MS needed Apple for their ideas and innovations, so they could imitate them. The other even bigger reason is that he didn't want the MS monopoly broken up back then. They were under investigation for their business practices and needed somebody else making a desktop OS to give them even a little competition. Little did Bill know that Apple would turn into a company valued at over 3 trillion by 2021. Macs are also starting to gain more desktop market share too.

Just created a Windows 11 fresh install USB flash disk and performed the installation on my Gigabyte B550 Vision D.
  • I followed this guide on Tom's Hardware.
  • It was necessary to update to BIOS F13 in order to enable TPM properly.
Some notes on Windows 11:
  • Windows 11 was installed on a 2.5mm 256GB SATA SSD.
  • It was necessary to enable fTPM in BIOS Setup.
  • Unlike Windows 10, it was not necessary to physically remove macOS SSDs.
  • The welcome wizard is much nicer and more Mac-like.
  • All windows have rounded corners, which is again Mac-like.
  • The task bar is centered by default, yup, Mac-like.
  • Apps launch almost instantly.
  • The entire GUI has been refreshed and is significantly nicer. I didn't expect GUI changes to be so thorough.

Posted from Windows 11.

Looks a lot nicer. :thumbup:

But surely the question everyone will be asking is ...

Have MS made Solitaire completely free again, with no ads?!?

Deal-breaker. :D

Looks a lot nicer. :thumbup:

But surely the question everyone will be asking is ...

Have MS made Solitaire completely free again, with no ads?!?

Deal-breaker. :D
In the name of science I'm happy to run that experiment... ;) Yes, ad free.

Screenshot 2021-08-16 145940.pngScreenshot 2021-08-16 150003.pngScreenshot 2021-08-16 150038.png

OpenCore 0.7.2 EFI has been modified for BIOS F13. Good news...
  • Minor changes were necessary to the OpenCore 0.7.2 EFI to support BIOS F13 on Gigabyte B550 Vision D.
  • Thunderbolt hot plug works.
  • Thunderbolt USB-C (USB 3) devices connect.
  • Thunderbolt Alt-Mode devices also connect via Thunderbolt (instead of USB 3) when connected to Thunderbolt ports.
  • Sleep/Wake works (but I had to disconnect my USB-C hub).
  • Be sure to disable Resizable BAR support in BIOS (it is disabled by default).
@CaseySJ

When I tried to download BIOS F13 from Gigabyte's site, on multiple tries, I got an error message like "Page not found." I wonder if it's my problem, you got the BIOS elsewhere, or Gigabyte has withdrawn it?

@CaseySJ

When I tried to download BIOS F13 from Gigabyte's site, on multiple tries, I got an error message like "Page not found." I wonder if it's my problem, you got the BIOS elsewhere, or Gigabyte has withdrawn it?

I don't have this board but just tested the download of the BIOS. It downloaded fine so must be a problem your end. Try a different browser.

@CaseySJ

Are you still unable to download BIOS F13?

here is F13 if you need it still.

Attachments

• mb_bios_b550-vision-d_f13.zip
    15.2 MB · Views: 44
Back