Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Hello @Vorshim92,

Before we even consider flashing the Thunderbolt firmware we should connect our Thunderbolt devices and see if they work. If they work well enough, it is much better to keep the original firmware.

We flash the firmware for some specific devices that (a) don't work at all or (b) work poorly with the original firmware. Some of these devices are listed in this post.
Right now it works, also with hot-plug so it's OK. The only problem is that DTPG.aml, that makes ho-tplug working through the SSDT, it breaks my shutdown. That is not a huge problem because I can force the shutdown

Meantime, can I ask if you have ever take a look to the Thunderbolt firmware of an XPS 13 Dell with DSL6340 Alpine Ridge 2C 2015?

Hello again, I just installed the Big Sur 11.5.1 into the new machine; the installation went pretty smoothly. BTW, I'm using f11 BIOS, cause it just comes with it, and I cannot download the F12 BIOS from the Gigabyte website for whatever reason.

WiFi, Bluetooth, airdrop, every USB-A port, works.

And most importantly, the Thunderbolt port itself works!
It didn't show up in the system info PCI page as a thunderbolt device though, it shows in USB as a USB 3.1 bus. Both of the ports work like this. I have tried plugging in my G-drive mobile SSD in it, and I can read the files. I can eject it, and I even tried to unplug it without ejecting from finder. All works.
I also tested out the speed of it. I check it by BlackMagic disk speed test, got around 200MB write, 500MB read speed.

Also, the graphics page shows up as RX 5000 series card, but in my previous build it shows up as RX 5700 XT. Is it normal?

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 2.58.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 3.03.44 AM.png

Last edited:
yup, just tried to plug in my thunderbolt 3 dock (belkin express dock) and old thunderbolt 2 hdd(WD my book thunderbolt 2 duo) in, both didn't work. :(
gonna try something more tomorrow. Do anyone knows IF i flash my thunderbolt firmware, is it gonna make this port cannot work as a usb-c port?

I'm really surprise that it can work as a usb-c port, I thought it was like the whole port doesn't work no matter what you plugged in. I think i can live with that at the time to be honest.

Last edited:
yup, just tried to plug in my thunderbolt 3 dock (belkin express dock) and old thunderbolt 2 hdd(WD my book thunderbolt 2 duo) in, both didn't work. :(
gonna try something more tomorrow.

But I'm surprise that it can work as a usb-c port, I thought it was like the whole port doesn't work no matter what you plugged in. I think i can live with that at the time to be honest.
Good job in building the system and installing macOS Big Sur!! Alas, as we suspected, Thunderbolt is a problem on this board with macOS. But at least you can connect USB 3.x devices to the two Thunderbolt ports.

Right now it works, also with hot-plug so it's OK. The only problem is that DTPG.aml, that makes ho-tplug working through the SSDT, it breaks my shutdown. That is not a huge problem because I can force the shutdown
SSDT-DTPG has not been known to prevent shutdown on any motherboard so far. Can you please post a screenshot of OpenCore Configurator showing the ACPI page of your config.plist?

Meantime, can I ask if you have ever take a look to the Thunderbolt firmware of an XPS 13 Dell with DSL6340 Alpine Ridge 2C 2015?
We generally avoid modifying the firmware of Alpine Ridge controllers because Thunderbolt Bus can often be enabled with just a very special SSDT. We have a repository of those SSDTs here:
Just to reiterate: If the Thunderbolt devices we have are working with standard (original) firmware, then it's not advisable to flash the firmware (Titan Ridge) or use a special SSDT (Alpine Ridge).

gonna try something more tomorrow. Do anyone knows IF i flash my thunderbolt firmware, is it gonna make this port cannot work as a usb-c port?

I'm really surprise that it can work as a usb-c port, I thought it was like the whole port doesn't work no matter what you plugged in. I think i can live with that at the time to be honest.

@issssac

EDIT: I see you have a B550 Vision D-P board so my flashing and BIOS comments don't apply.

If you have a B550 Vision D board, I'm using BIOS F10 without issues and plan to stick with it. I have also successfully flashed my Thunderbolt chip per CaseySJ's guides. I can confirm that the TB ports do act as USB-C ports as well.

I plugged a Samsung T5 SSD into a TB port, and it showed up on the USB3.1 Bus as yours did.
System USB.png
Flashing the TB chip can be time consuming, and nerve wracking. When successful the PCI report shows TB in all its glory, and the TB3 devices I have used work well. :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do with TB.

System PCI.png

Hi @CaseySJ, i was reading the replies again and trying to learn from what you have change with the config.plist of D-P board, would you mind uploading the config.plist or the whole EFI folder you mentioned in this post at #1054?
Many thanks!
OpenCore 0.7.1 for B550 Vision D-P is available now from HackinDROM App.

Hi @CaseySJ, i was reading the replies again and trying to learn from what you have change with the config.plist of D-P board, would you mind uploading the config.plist or the whole EFI folder you mentioned in this post at #1054?
Many thanks!
OpenCore 0.7.2 for the B550 Vision D-P is now available on HackinDROM App (0.7.2 may appear at the bottom of the list). HackinDROM will automatically detect the number of physical CPU cores on your system. Always check/confirm that the right value is selected because the latest AMD-OSX kernel patches will fail if we specify an incorrect core count.

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 1.45.01 PM.png

OpenCore 0.7.2 for the B550 Vision D-P is now available on HackinDROM App (0.7.2 may appear at the bottom of the list). HackinDROM will automatically detect the number of physical CPU cores on your system. Always check/confirm that the right value is selected because the latest AMD-OSX kernel patches will fail if we specify an incorrect core count.

Thanks! I just tried it, it boots, but is the i225v ethernet not in device properties? it didn't show up in system info, in system preference-> network there is a PCI ethernet slot Internal@0,1,2/0,2/9,0/0,0. I plugged in a ethernet cable, it shows as self-assigned IP, and after a while, it go black screen and reboot. I did tried to add it in device properties, but it didn't work, it shows up in sys info but not in system preference-> network.

I attached my PCIdevice list and config.plist below, please help and take a look, thanks ahead!

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 1.55.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-12 at 1.58.19 PM.png

Attachments

• PCIdevices.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 45
  • config-issssac-20210812.plist
    50.4 KB · Views: 54
Thanks! I just tried it, it boots, but is the i225v ethernet not in device properties? it didn't show up in system info, in system preference-> network there is a PCI ethernet slot Internal@0,1,2/0,2/9,0/0,0. I plugged in a ethernet cable, it shows as self-assigned IP, and after a while, it go black screen and reboot. I did tried to add it in device properties, but it didn't work, it shows up in sys info but not in system preference-> network.

I attached my PCIdevice list and config.plist below, please help and take a look, thanks ahead!

View attachment 526787View attachment 526789
This is another reason why we don’t recommend the D-P board — and why I did not update the OpenCore EFI. If you can fix the Ethernet port, let us know. The EFI for this board is provided on an as-is basis.

Back