Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

I was so looking forward to the B550 Vision D-P myself. It's a solid upgrade over the B550 Vision D, but alas the BIOS does not cooperate with us...
So I went out on a limb - because I can be a bit of a #madlad - and went through the process of getting Monterey Beta 3 installed. All is well, except now my thunderbolt docks don't even enumerate or show up as USB 3 hubs. I thought that was incredibly interesting.

So I went out on a limb - because I can be a bit of a #madlad - and went through the process of getting Monterey Beta 3 installed. All is well, except now my thunderbolt docks don't even enumerate or show up as USB 3 hubs. I thought that was incredibly interesting.
Has the term lost cause escaped from the back of your mind to the very front? ;)

Has the term lost cause escaped from the back of your mind to the very front? ;)
Not in the slightest. Madlad, remember? :D

I'm probably going to reach out to Gigabyte and see if I can get in-channel with one of their engineers to try and get a BIOS adjustment. Thunderbolt in Windows has been questionable on this board so far anyway, so it's not like i'm demanding support from them for completely unsupported use cases.

Not in the slightest. Madlad, remember? :D

I'm probably going to reach out to Gigabyte and see if I can get in-channel with one of their engineers to try and get a BIOS adjustment. Thunderbolt in Windows has been questionable on this board so far anyway, so it's not like i'm demanding support from them for completely unsupported use cases.
What thunderbolt controller does the board use, Titan Ridge or Maple Ridge?

What thunderbolt controller does the board use, Titan Ridge or Maple Ridge?
Titan Ridge.

I solved the docks showing up. I even added an additional Titan Ridge AIC - which shows up and works perfectly in Windows. Both are allowing USB3 dock mode, but alas. No TBT. The search continues.

Replaced my Titan-Ridge card with my 10GBe Aquantia 107 since I really need the connection to UnRaid. My internal controller is showing up as one of these, but the Host Controller Device is different. AppleUSBXHCIPCI vs AppleUSBXHCITR. Based on the Vendor ID 8086 appears to be my Internal Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 9.59.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 9.59.51 PM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Do we have a update to try and install Monterey public yet for AMD?

I talked to Gigabyte, and I found out the reason the BIOS is restarting several times on the AMD is because my RAM is at 3600 which is a o/c RAM...they tech told when you put stock o/c RAM in, the BIOS needs to read it a few times then sets it up for the faster speed - hence the few reboots everytime I change a BIOS setting. I have to try and down clock the RAM which I dont know how to do just yet. It says its on the website what memory is considered overclocked RAM on the DP- board.

I put f12 in, and I’ll try a few Thunderbolt check until the 370 aero comes, then I’ll try that board. I probably will have to get a Titan Ridge add on card. I just wanted to ask if I flash it I cannot use the TB in Windows then?

@CaseySJ

According to their GitHub page, the two public betas are not yet supported.

I talked to Gigabyte, and I found out the reason the BIOS is restarting several times on the AMD is because my RAM is at 3600 which is a o/c RAM...they tech told when you put stock o/c RAM in, the BIOS needs to read it a few times then sets it up for the faster speed - hence the few reboots everytime I change a BIOS setting. I have to try and down clock the RAM which I dont know how to do just yet. It says its on the website what memory is considered overclocked RAM on the DP- board.
One quick option is to turn off XMP Memory Profile.

I put f12 in, and I’ll try a few Thunderbolt check until the 370 aero comes, then I’ll try that board. I probably will have to get a Titan Ridge add on card. I just wanted to ask if I flash it I cannot use the TB in Windows then?
If the Thunderbolt add-in-card is flashed, it can cause compatibility issues with Windows. Some Thunderbolt devices may work by booting Windows and then warm-rebooting. Other Thunderbolt devices may or may not connect in Windows.

As always, if your Thunderbolt devices connect and work in macOS without flashing the Thunderbolt card, then it is absolutely the best option to not flash the card. That provides maximum compatibility across different operating systems, even Linux.

@CaseySJ

There are new patches available but they don't seem to work for everyone and require you to edit the 'replace' field specific to your processor.

There is also an unofficial OC 0.7.2 debug build where some of the patches have been incorporated with it. A Pull Request has been submitted to the developers of OC to see if they will incorporate them into the official 0.7.2 release when it becomes available. Even with that PR there are still other patches that need to be applied, in the region of 8-20, depending on your system.

You also need the kexts that have been updated to include Monterey support. Again they are not fully released yet and are being worked on.

You can read about it HERE and download the OC build and add the necessary patches as discussed in that thread.

If you are not sure what you are doing then it would be best to wait another week or so until things are refined.

There are new patches available but they don't seem to work for everyone and require you to edit the 'replace' field specific to your processor.

There is also an unofficial OC 0.7.2 debug build where some of the patches have been incorporated with it. A Pull Request has been submitted to the developers of OC to see if they will incorporate them into the official 0.7.2 release when it becomes available. Even with that PR there are still other patches that need to be applied, in the region of 8-20, depending on your system.

You also need the kexts that have been updated to include Monterey support. Again they are not fully released yet and are being worked on.

You can read about it HERE and download the OC build and add the necessary patches as discussed in that thread.

If you are not sure what you are doing then it would be best to wait another week or so until things are refined.
And the hacking continues.

@CaseySJ after many months of ignoring the step in your instructions for making a backup, I finally did so. I'm using an external USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure for an M2 SSD. This mydigitalssd M2X, to be precise. I have not yet attempted to boot directly from the M2 itself (i.e., removing from the enclosure and installing in one of the two M2 slots on my B550). But I have attempted to select the "EFI" showing up on my OpenCore boot selection when the M2 enclosure is connected to the USB-C port (XHC3.SSP1) - but it just went to black screen and never booted. Offhand do you think it should work directly from the M2? I'll try later tonight and see if it works, but I thought I'd ask, and maybe if there is anything that needs to be updated with the newest CCC version - I noticed the UI in the newer CCC has slightly different wording but the steps were still easy to follow.

Back