Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Hey @CaseySJ,

First off thanks for the amazing guide! Was actually running windows with the same system setup but when I saw 6800XT drivers were released I sold my 3080 and I'm now dual booting Windows/MacOS.

Everything is working smoothly, but I am running into an issue with TB not having drivers. I have not flashed the TB controller and I did select Mac Pro 7,1 as my machine id. Don't know if the latter is having the biggest cause for issues, but thought I'd post to see as I'd love for my TB Hub to work.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.46.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.46.05 AM.png
    511.1 KB · Views: 55
Hey @CaseySJ,

First off thanks for the amazing guide! Was actually running windows with the same system setup but when I saw 6800XT drivers were released I sold my 3080 and I'm now dual booting Windows/MacOS.

Everything is working smoothly, but I am running into an issue with TB not having drivers. I have not flashed the TB controller and I did select Mac Pro 7,1 as my machine id. Don't know if the latter is having the biggest cause for issues, but thought I'd post to see as I'd love for my TB Hub to work.

Thanks in advance!
There will never be any driver details there for hackintoshes unless you flash it with a custom firmware.

There will never be any driver details there for hackintoshes unless you flash it with a custom firmware.

Thanks for the response! For whatever reason my SD Card reader and Video Camera on the TB Hub is picked up now, so I'm good with that!

Thanks for the response! For whatever reason my SD Card reader and Video Camera on the TB Hub is picked up now, so I'm good with that!
Welcome to the forum! The best way to check Thunderbolt is of course by connecting a device and seeing whether it works. We can also look here:
  • IORegistryExplorer
  • System Information --> PCI (instead of Thunderbolt)

@mochox,

This is my Gigabyte B550 Vision D thread so feel free to post Hackintosh-related questions here. If the problems with your AORUS 3090 in the eGPU are only occurring in Windows and/or Linux, please contact Tech Support of the Gaming Box (Thunderbolt expansion chassis) manufacturer because Windows/Linux should be officially supported platforms for them.

Well now that I have some time to spare, I tried to update the OC to 0.6.8. on the B550 board. Having two issues at the moment - first is the system doesn't seem to be updating to Big Sur 11.3 despite being detected by macOS updater. The 11.3 update gets downloaded and seemingly 'installed' - but I don't see anything changed after rebooting - it remains on 11.2. And secondly, when I was testing an 11.2.3 update earlier. it's somehow created a Macintosh HD selection in the OpenCore boot menu - but oddly it's not showing up as anything at all in Disk Utility (so I can't remove it). I only see the original Big Sur container. The 11.2.3 update was meant to only install to the main system drive 'Macintosh SSD'.

Well now that I have some time to spare, I tried to update the OC to 0.6.8. on the B550 board. Having two issues at the moment - first is the system doesn't seem to be updating to Big Sur 11.3 despite being detected by macOS updater. The 11.3 update gets downloaded and seemingly 'installed' - but I don't see anything changed after rebooting - it remains on 11.2. And secondly, when I was testing an 11.2.3 update earlier it's somehow created a Macintosh HD selection in the Opencore boot menu - but oddly it's not showing up as anything at all in Disk Utility (so I can't remove it). I only see the original Big Sur container. The 11.2.3 update was meant to only install to the main system drive 'Macintosh SSD'.
Some comments:
  • macOS 11.3 requires updated AMD kernel patches. These patches are already incorporated into the latest OpenCore EFI in this thread.
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 4.54.59 AM.png

• We should also ensure that there is at least 12GB x 3 or 36GB free disk space. 12GB is the approximate size of the full installer, so multiplying by 3 seems like a good safety buffer.
  • On my B550 Vision D, the Macintosh HD volume successfully appeared during all 8 of the 11.3 beta installs. I'm running 11.4 beta 1 now, again with no trouble. No kernel patch updates are needed for 11.4 once the patches for 11.3 are installed.

Right got it thanks @CaseySJ! I think I might know what the issue is. I tried to run the Macintosh HD drive but the update didn’t work for me. I might reinstall 11.3 onto a separate drive and see how that goes.

I've finally figured out how to correctly use the Memory section in OC. I decided to work on this since I've now changed to using MacPro7,1 instead of iMacPro1,1 due to the former apparently being a better match for going forward with AMD 6x00XT GPUs.

If you follow this guide carefully, you will not need the kext "RestrictEvents.kext" file, and you will no longer see a memory error. I've only tested in Big Sur, but it should work under Catalina as well.

Here's the memory guide:

OC's "BANK" numbers were re-arranged to better match the memory upgrade instructions per Apples's docs. The Bank numbers in their order of appearance are slots: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1. These correspond to the slot numbers on the memory board. In Apple's docs, the slots are arranged into DIMM Channels, A-F. DIMM Channel A are Banks/slots 7, 8; B are 9,10; C are 11, 12; D are 5, 6; E are 3, 4; and F are 1, 2 (as shown in spoiler below).

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 12.41.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 12.41.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 12.42.08 PM.png

If properly arranged, below is what is seen with 8 DIMMs installed on my TRX40 mobo. While most mobos only allow 8 memory slots (and some only allow 4), an actual MacPro7,1 has 12 slots, so our mobos will always have at least 4 slots empty. Now, should you only be using 4 memory sticks, then set to empty the following slots: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12. In other words, if you are using 4 DIMMs, only slots 4, 6, 7 and 9 will be populated (thanks djlild7hina!).

Note: this does not mean you physically move your DIMMs about on your mobo; this whole process is to map your DIMMs into software locations where the macOS is expecting them to be positioned. Keep your DIMMs physically where the mobo manual recommends.

The code within OC is shown in excerpt below (I use PlistEditPro; the full code is downloadable as an attachment). Add it enbloc as the "Memory" section within the PlatformInfo section (also make sure to enable "CustomMemory"). The SNs are arbitrary (add your actual ones if you're more OCD than me). The part numbers are mine as used, made by Cosair; change these values as you wish. The AssetTag is also arbitrary but only entered if that memory slot is populated. Finally, change the Size and Speed values to better match your DIMM.

If SystemInformation is run, the following is seen:
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 12.18.02 PM.png

In the attachment, I included the 8 DIMMs as well as one for 4 DIMMs (4 DIMM verified and fixed by djlild7hina). Inactivate either one with "#" symbol or activate by removing "#" and editing the label heading to "Memory":
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 12.23.18 PM.png

Update:

Attached file now includes 2, 4 and 8 DIMM setups.

Attachments

• OC-Memory-MacPro7,1-2-4-8.plist.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
@rj510,

This is awesome! Reference will be added to Post 1 shortly.

Update: Done.

Last edited:
Back