Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Hi all,

Just wanted to update you on my Universal Audio story.

Universal Audio Apollo X works flawlessly (TB3 unit), whereas UAD Satellite Quad or Octo stall the system and won't load plugins. Satellites are TB2.

I tried to use a different motherboard (Gigabyte B550 instead of Asus B550-Tuf), which led to no change in TB results. Although TB was much easier to set up.

I also loaded a custom firmware into my GC Alpine-Ridge by using an external programmer. Although this allowed to nicely hot-plug TB devices, this led to no change either.

Lastly, I borrowed a Universal Audio TB3 satellite, and it works flawlessly on my Asus system!

I conclude that UAD TB2 satellites are incompatible with either B550 motherboards, or with AMD Hackintoshes.

This may be valuable to users aiming to build AMD Hackintoshes for audio production. I.e., avoid using Thunderbolt 2 UAD Satellites (and possibly other devices too, although not tested), and upgrade to Thunderbolt 3 Satellites.

For reference,
UAD TB2 Satellite, blackface, stalls the system:
uad2_satellite_thunderbolt_3qr_sq2520.png

UAD TB3 Satellite, works flawlessly:
uad-2_satellite_tb3_hero.jpg

Cheers again @CaseySJ for your ongoing support and your incredible guides.

@echoesoflife,

That's very helpful!

Regarding this statement...
Lastly, I borrowed a Universal Audio TB3 satellite, and it works flawlessly on my Asus system!
...does the same UAD TB3 Satellite work on the B550 Vision D?

@echoesoflife,

That's very helpful!

Regarding this statement...

...does the same UAD TB3 Satellite work on the B550 Vision D?
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test it on Gigabyte system as I have disassembled it. I would think that it is the case with high probability, based on the comparisons that I performed. However I haven't done the actual test, so if any other community members have the according devices, that would be fantastic to test...

Hi all,

Just wanted to update you on my Universal Audio story.

Universal Audio Apollo X works flawlessly (TB3 unit), whereas UAD Satellite Quad or Octo stall the system and won't load plugins. Satellites are TB2.

I tried to use a different motherboard (Gigabyte B550 instead of Asus B550-Tuf), which led to no change in TB results. Although TB was much easier to set up.

I also loaded a custom firmware into my GC Alpine-Ridge by using an external programmer. Although this allowed to nicely hot-plug TB devices, this led to no change either.

I conclude that UAD TB2 satellites are incompatible with either B550 motherboards, or with AMD Hackintoshes.

This may be valuable to users aiming to build AMD Hackintoshes for audio production. I.e., avoid using Thunderbolt 2 UAD Satellites (and possibly other devices too, although not tested), and upgrade to Thunderbolt 3 Satellites.

For reference,
UAD TB2 Satellite, blackface, stalls the system:
uad2_satellite_thunderbolt_3qr_sq2520.png

UAD TB3 Satellite, works flawlessly:
uad-2_satellite_tb3_hero.jpg

Cheers again @CaseySJ for your ongoing support and your incredible guides.
Have you tried flashing your firmware with the DSM2 or maybe version 23 that comes with the Z390 Designare?

Hi @CaseySJ,

Thanks for keeping this all going. I've been running the Designare Hackintosh for over a year now. Thanks for your help with that one!

I have bought a Ryzen 5800X and the Vision D and have it up-and-running except for Thunderbolt. I run a LG UltraFine 5K, and I need Thunderbolt (or even USB??) so the camera, audio and screen brightness controls work.

You can see everything seems to be there except for Thunderbolt. I'm using your latest EFI.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.31.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.31.30 PM.png
    534.6 KB · Views: 57
Hi @CaseySJ,

Thanks for keeping this all going. I've been running the Designare Hackintosh for over a year now. Thanks for your help with that one!

I have bought a Ryzen 5800X and the Vision D and have it up-and-running except for Thunderbolt. I run a LG UltraFine 5K, and I need Thunderbolt (or even USB??) so the camera, audio and screen brightness controls work.

You can see everything seems to be there except for Thunderbolt. I'm using your latest EFI.

Any thoughts?

@CaseySJ I can confirm that the LG 5K camera and audio works when I boot into Windows (it's dual boot). The camera shows up as LG Ultrafine 5K USB camera. If I remember correctly, you don't need Thunderbolt working in order to use audio and the camera. You just need to inject the usb over the TB3 cable.

@CaseySJ I can confirm that the LG 5K camera and audio works when I boot into Windows (it's dual boot). The camera shows up as LG Ultrafine 5K USB camera. If I remember correctly, you don't need Thunderbolt working in order to use audio and the camera. You just need to inject the usb over the TB3 cable.
Got sidetracked and missed your post. Please post the IOReg file so we can see what’s happening with Thunderbolt. (IORegistryExplorer —> File —> Save As...)

Got sidetracked and missed your post. Please post the IOReg file so we can see what’s happening with Thunderbolt. (IORegistryExplorer —> File —> Save As...)
Thanks @CaseySJ! Just a note: I am running 1 LG Ultrafine 5K and 2 LG UltraFine 4Ks. I use a Gigabyte GC TitanRidge in the bottom slot (with the pins jumped) just to convert Displayport to DP over USB-C cable (not for TB).

I have tested with and without this, and never was a problem before. Right now, I have the SSDT-TB-HackinDROM-B550-VISION-D.aml turned off in OC as this was crashing the system right after log in.

Also to note: This was my NVME from by designare build. I just introduced the new EFI. Also, I get a AppleUSBHostPort::disconnect: persistent enumeration failures on verbose boot up.

Thunderbolt is turned on in the bios with no security. I really appreciate you looking at this.

UPDATE: I wanted to add that I am on BIOS 13f which has seemingly been removed from Gigabyte's website. I am going to try to downgrade to BIOS 12. BTW I have attached my copy of 13f

UPDATE 2: I downgraded my BIOS to F12 successfully. Still not working. Things I have tried:

• Reset NVRAM
  • Clear CMOS
  • Thunderbolt Hackinrom enabled and disabled in OC
  • Thunderbolt enabled and disabled in bios (monitor really only needs USB - has worked on other hackintoshs)
  • Using an HDMI monitor instead of LG 5Ks
With all of these I cannot get Thunderbolt to show in PCI section of System Report (but do I even need Thunderbolt to get the camera, audio, and screen brightness controls to work on the LG UF 5K)

Attachments

• ioreg-output.ioreg
    8.6 MB · Views: 54
  • mb_bios_b550-vision-d_f13f.zip
    15.1 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thanks @CaseySJ! Just a note: I am running 1 LG Ultrafine 5K and 2 LG UltraFine 4Ks. I use a Gigabyte GC TitanRidge in the bottom slot (with the pins jumped) just to convert Displayport to DP over USB-C cable (not for TB).

I have tested with and without this, and never was a problem before. Right now, I have the SSDT-TB-HackinDROM-B550-VISION-D.aml turned off in OC as this was crashing the system right after log in.

Hello @JayShay,

The IOReg file shows that the Thunderbolt SSDT has not taken effect. Let's troubleshoot that first:
  • Please post screenshot of the OC/ACPI folder. We want to check if the following are present:
    • SSDT-TB-HackinDROM-B550-VISION-D.aml
    • SSDT-DTPG.aml
  • Also post screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI after opening your config.plist.
  • Third, if there are multiple boot drives in the system, confirm the First Boot Priority in BIOS Setup --> Boot section. 1st priority should be the internal macOS SSD.
I believe BIOS F10 may be the best one.

Last edited:
Back