Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

The prices for the RX 5600 XT range from $300 to $900 on Newegg. Amazing!
Since very few are available in the US foreign sellers on Newegg are asking extortionist prices for AMD cards.

Screen_Shot.png

I am having trouble making a Big Sur disk any tips? It looks like an open case ( see pics) . It downloads but I get an error with BuildmacOSInstall. got it to work by directly downloading Big Sur from apple on my MacBook

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.01.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.01.11 PM.png
    87 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.03.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.03.32 PM.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.06.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.06.12 PM.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.11.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.11.54 PM.png
    532 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.17.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.17.25 PM.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Let's pursue this particular problem first, namely: UAD Apollo with one daisy-chained Satellite.
  • Which satellite are you connecting in this scenario? The Quad or the Octo?
  • Are both items running the latest firmware (this is firmware that is installed into the UAD devices)?
  • Have both items been "hardware reset"?
  • Are latest UAD drivers installed in macOS?
  • The Asus Prime B550-Plus contains a Thunderbolt header. Is your GC-Alpine Ridge or Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR connected to that header?
    • If so, please check the Thunderbolt settings in BIOS Setup. Is there a "Thunderbolt Boot" option? If so, does it have a "Boot Once" choice?
  • Does macOS freeze on plugin load when either the GC-Alpine Ridge or ThunderboltEX3-TR is used?
Hi Casey,

Thanks for your deeply thought points!

1. I've ran some tests with a single UAD Satellite Quad today. Another Satellite was left off. I did switch to Octo once to confirm that there is no difference between their behaviour.

2. Yes, the UAD devices are running the latest firmware. One can only update firmware on the Apollo, not on the Satellites. They obey whatever firmware Apollo is running.

3. One can't hardware reset a Satellite. I have successfully reset the Apollo with no consequent effect on the problem.

4. Yes, latest UAD software and drivers are installed on Catalina. I have attempted to re-install these multiple times for my previous tests, with no effect on my issue.

5. Thunderbolt header on my Asus B550. This varied depending on the Thunderbolt extension card used. For GC Alpine-Ridge, it has to be connected to the Thunderbolt header as otherwise system can't see any UAD devices at all.

I switched to Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR and tried unplugging it from TB header. It appears that TB header connection is not required for UAD to function on Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR. Hotplug also works.

6. I had a look at BIOS settings, I attach two photos for GC Alpine-Ridge and ThunderboltEX3 (Titan Ridge, correspondingly).
IMG_20210116_191159.jpg

IMG_20210116_201654.jpg
Although there was no effect on system freezing with either of those cards, some settings effected Hotplug. I tested this with Thunderbolt Header disconnected from the motherboard. It appears that for the Hotplug event to work, Boot Support has to be switched OFF, and Thunderbolt Wake Command must be set to GO2SX.

7. Unfortunately, both GC Alpine-Ridge and Asus Titan Ridge give the same effect - system freezes on daisy-chained Satellites attempting to load a plugin.

However, on Asus Titan Ridge with TB header disconnected, I can't even load a single UAD plugin on startup as opposed to GC Alpine Ridge. I am going to test this behaviour with TB header connected now.

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited:
@echoesoflife,

You stated that Hot Plug requires Thunderbolt Boot from TB to be switched OFF. What are the other options for Thunderbolt Boot? Have you tried each of them in turn to see if the Apollo + Satellite daisy-chain works reliably (even if it needs to be connected and powered on before boot)?

Next Saturday I'll test OC 0.6.5 to my friends build who has an UAD Arrow and I'll report back if everything is ok.
Any news or progress on that? Thanks

I am having trouble making a Big Sur disk any tips? It looks like an open case ( see pics) . It downloads but I get an error with BuildmacOSInstall. got it to work by directly downloading Big Sur from apple on my MacBook
It seems you are not using the AppStore version of BigSur.

Hello Community!

Regarding Windows behaviour after activating Thunderbolt Bus and Apollo FireWire.

1) Thunderbolt utility doesn't work
2) Cold Boot - USB-C / TB doesn't work

If I boot to macOS first, then reboot to windows, UAD is picked up by the system but I get glitches on microphone input.

Hotplug SSDT does seem to activate TB bus as well, ioreg is not empty, but I do get weird behaviour that my SATA disks ARE NOT picked up on cold boot. Thunderbolt though doesn't give a damn about hot/cold boot, it just works.

If I disable all TB SSDT, hot plug does not work (expectable), ioreg is empty, thunderbolt devices work and SATA disks are recognised. Seems that TB SSDTs are messing up with something.

Will try installing Big Sur next week to test these things there.

Have a nice day, Andrey

It seems you are not using the AppStore version of BigSur.
I had to use App Store as the script wouldn’t work on Big Sur (see screenshot)

I had to use App Store as the script wouldn’t work on Big Sur (see screenshot)

You should just have run "InstallAssistant". That would have created the Install app in your Applications folder. You don't run "BuildmacOSInstall".

You should just have run "InstallAssistant". That would have created the Install app in your Applications folder. You don't run "BuildmacOSInstall".
Where do I find this? Is there a problem downloading the "install macOS Big Sur" from the App Store? Where is Installassistant? I don't see it in the guide (see pic) . I was able to run BuildmacOSinstall" with the install macOS Big Sur downloaded from the App Store . THANKS

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 12.51.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 12.51.44 PM.png
    531.1 KB · Views: 45
Back