Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Last edited:
Maybe AMD should work closely with the factories so solve the supply issues first LOL
Just wondering how much of the GPU supply from both AMD and Nvidia is being snatched up by those darned infuriating crypto-miners?
  • Fine print #1 (do not read): Just purchased a Radeon 5600 XT from Newegg, paid with Bitcoin. ;) This will replace the aging AMD R9 380 in this build.
  • Fine print #2 (do not read): During the last crypto craze yours truly was running a 14-GPU crypto mining rig. Wanted to get intimately familiar with the whole process, so what better way than to join those darned infuriating folks? But I will not crypto-mine again.

I recall seeing some news that miners get a whole batch of 5600XT from XFX, not sure if it's 100% true.
Also, someone mentions that both AMD and Nvidia can at least add certain BIOS constraints that regular GPU won't be able to do mining workload. Although I guess people will figure it out like we figure out the TB3 firmware but at least it will help the real gamers/content creator a bit.
Just wondering how much of the GPU supply from both AMD and Nvidia is being snatched up by those darned infuriating crypto-miners?
  • Fine print #1 (do not read): Just purchased a Radeon 5600 XT from Newegg, paid with Bitcoin. ;) This will replace the aging AMD R9 380 in this build.
  • Fine print #2 (do not read): During the last crypto craze yours truly was running a 14-GPU crypto mining rig. Wanted to get intimately familiar with the whole process, so what better way than to join those darned infuriating folks? But I will not crypto-mine again.

They have the B550 Vision D back at list price on Amazon in the US due Feb 5th. Just a heads up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C9GJ49M/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Is there a 360mm AIO that is recommended? I read that some AIOs (probably usb/smart ones?) can cause trouble with AMD+OSX. Full fan speed 100% of the time is fine for me, the computers are in an AC controlled machine room.

They have the b550 vision d back at list price on Amazon in the US due feb 5th, just a heads up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C9GJ49M/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Is there a 360mm AIO that is recommended? I read that some AIOs (probably usb/smart ones?) can cause trouble with AMD+OSX. Full fan speed 100% of the time is fine for me, the computers are in an AC controlled machine room.
We've had good luck with nearly all makes/models of AIOs. Several new models based on next-generation pumps are on the market now, so it's a good time to be shopping. I would personally select one that is also advertised as being among the quietest, hence the new Pure Loop models from BeQuiet! would be on my short list.

So I've been testing my 5900X/RX6800 setup on Catalina, and I've found a few things (besides low VRAM):

Audio still crackles
Thunderbolt is not working

I've tried a few other audio fixes, including adjusting the memory speed down to 2666Mhz and PCIe BIOS
down to Gen3, but not got much out of these.

I have also enabled SMT (hyperthreading), and it surprisingly it rebooted the system without problems. Geekbench results remained the same as pre-SMT-disabled and cannot detect GPU as Compute unit. But the audio and Thunderbolt issue is annoying.

Hey Dear Casey and the members of the community!

I've been following these builds and especially Thunderbolt SSDTs for quite a while, and I would kindly ask for your help.

I'm on Asus B550-Plus, Catalina, GC Alpine-Ridge (also tried ThunderboltEX3-TR with same results). I am experiencing an odd Thunderbolt issue with my Universal Audio Apollo + Satellite Quad + Satellite Octo.

Apollo by itself works just fine. When I add Satellites to the setup, I can't load any UAD plugins anymore (device not responding, error code -38), and if I try to authorise plugins in UAD Meter, the system crashes.

Today, however, I made significant progress by adapting Casey's SSDT for Thunderbolt hotplug with a minor modification based on my IOReg (replaced DSB1 to X162). Hotplug now works just fine!

With the Satellites issue, there is some progress, too. I can load one single UAD plugin on fresh system startup, and similarly I can authorise the plugins one time successfully. Immediately afterwards, the system doesn't respond and crashes just as before.

I am wondering if you may know what could cause this issue with Satellites. It seems like Daisy-chaining is not working properly, or Satellites are not initialised fully?

I assume that there is either something to do with the SSDT (modification?), or I need to flash my B550 with Raspberry.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I attach a screenshot of my IOReg at the current state with working hotplug.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 11.58.18 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 11.58.18 pm.png
    614.8 KB · Views: 95
Hey Dear Casey and the members of the community!

I've been following these builds and especially Thunderbolt SSDTs for quite a while, and I would kindly ask for your help.

I'm on Asus B550-Plus, Catalina, GC Alpine-Ridge (also tried ThunderboltEX3-TR with same results). I am experiencing an odd Thunderbolt issue with my Universal Audio Apollo + Satellite Quad + Satellite Octo.

Apollo by itself works just fine. When I add Satellites to the setup, I can't load any UAD plugins anymore (device not responding, error code -38), and if I try to authorise plugins in UAD Meter, the system crashes.

Today, however, I made significant progress by adapting Casey's SSDT for Thunderbolt hotplug with a minor modification based on my IOReg (replaced DSB1 to X162). Hotplug now works just fine!

With the Satellites issue, there is some progress, too. I can load one single UAD plugin on fresh system startup, and similarly I can authorise the plugins one time successfully. Immediately afterwards, the system doesn't respond and crashes just as before.

I am wondering if you may know what could cause this issue with Satellites. It seems like Daisy-chaining is not working properly, or Satellites are not initialised fully?

I assume that there is either something to do with the SSDT (modification?), or I need to flash my B550 with Raspberry.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I attach a screenshot of my IOReg at the current state with working hotplug.
a most fascinating build :)
cross-vendor, on non-Intel, & TB3

Back