Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

I saw you mention in another post that some plugins might not work on AMD/OSX- any specific ones you can mention?
Yea, some Waves plugins are still using specific Intel Instructions Set like

AVXMacIntel.dylib

GenericMacIntel.dylib

IR_Calc.dylib

So we will have to wait for Waves to update.

I don't have anything 5xxx yet, just doing some research on what to buy when I can even get a 5950x. Sadly on tuesday they had 4 in stock at the microcenter nearby, but I couldn't get down there in time...

I'm going to try it as a hack and win for daws (S1, PT, Ableton) with a focusrite Red 8Pre. Your Asrock setup looks good, but I would need 4 PCIe on the hack side. TB AIC card (x4), Highpoint U.2 card (x16), 10Gbe (x4), and video (x16). Do you know of any full ATX Asrock builds that are working?

I the first two posts of page 56, it is suggested that possibly there was a patch that might fix tb audio on the b550 v. d. I think these are included in CaseySJ's OC 0.6.5.

I saw you mention in another post that some plugins might not work on AMD/OSX- any specific ones you can mention?

Next Saturday I'll test OC 0.6.5 to my friends build who has an UAD Arrow and I'll report back if everything is ok.

I have the Pro AC it has killer 2.5 Ethernet, Lucy kext.
It also has a Thunderbolt header on the motherboard so a PCI card should work. BIOS lists the Thunderbolt header.
Gigamaxx, I was wondering if you can share the USB kext for this board? Thanks !

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-amd-rx-5600-xt.304553

Hi guys!

I'm happy to inform you following CaseySJ's Opencore 0.63 EFI settings, I'd managed to get my new B550 Vision D with Ryzen 5900X & Gigabyte RX 6800 GPU w/ 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX DDR$ RAM running on 10.15.6! The display obviously needs some tweaking, but I'm more than happy with the results!

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 4.20.23 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 5.16.20 PM copy.png

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 5.16.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 5.17.04 PM.png

And this was the result from the new PCIe 4.0 WD SN850 1TB SSD!

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 5.15.21 PM.png

Hi guys!

I'm happy to inform you following CaseySJ's Opencore 0.63 EFI settings, I'd managed to get my new B550 Vision D with Ryzen 5900X & Gigabyte RX 6800 GPU w/ 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX DDR$ RAM running on 10.15.6! The display obviously needs some tweaking, but I'm more than happy with the results!

View attachment 504717

View attachment 504718

View attachment 504715

View attachment 504714

And this was the result from the new PCIe 4.0 WD SN850 1TB SSD!

View attachment 504716
@Middleman,

Congratulations...not only for a successful build, but also for somehow acquiring both an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and Radeon RX 6800!! The single-core GeekBench score of 2119 is insane!

Are you encountering any audio stuttering? Or is audio playing back normally?

The latest EFI ZIP (OpenCore 0.6.5) contains the latest AMD-OSX kernel patches, so updating your EFI folder to 0.6.5 is recommended.

Let's hope Apple provides full support for Radeon 6000-series GPUs soon. In About this Mac, your Graphics is understandably showing 3MB, which is perfectly fine for now. MacOS is using the default VGA driver.

@Middleman,

Congratulations...not only for a successful build, but also for somehow acquiring both an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and Radeon RX 6800!! The single-core GeekBench score of 2119 is insane!

Are you encountering any audio stuttering? Or is audio playing back normally?

The latest EFI ZIP (OpenCore 0.6.5) contains the latest AMD-OSX kernel patches, so updating your EFI folder to 0.6.5 is recommended.

Let's hope Apple provides full support for Radeon 6000-series GPUs soon. In About this Mac, your Graphics is understandably showing 3MB, which is perfectly fine for now. MacOS is using the default VGA driver.
Thanks! And looks like you've done well too with the B550 build! It looks like a really really great choice.

Yes about the AMD Ryzen & RX6800 - I had initially preordered it about 2 months ago with a local store, but they just couldn't get hold of it. Then last week I managed to find another shop that had both it and the new RX6800, so just decided to go with that. Yes I paid a little bit more, but it was worth it. I'd originally wanted to go for a 5700XT but the store said it was no longer available so the RX6800 it was. And my god what amazing performance and specs I'm getting - especially on the ray-tracing and HDR! You're talking 32094 & 28368 points for each! It's absolutely insane!

And that is all with SMT (hyperthreading) disabled! If I can I'm going to see if I can enable the SMT and see how it fairs afterwards.

About the audio, nope I'd not tried it yet but will do soon (just barely got the system going). I did however find it reported all of the audio jacks including the digital outs so I presume it should work fine (will let you know).
My Thunderbolt port needs testing too but I didn't see much settings available in the BIOS for it other than the
one called 'USB-C for Titan Ridge'.

Yes I'm hoping the macOS drivers arrive soon - and yes 3MB of VRAM is not going to do it justice. :lol: It's nearly 3 months since it's launch so fingers crossed we should have them fairly soon.

Possible message of hope for Radeon RX 6800 owners?

An article posted yesterday on AnandTech contains the following quote from AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su:
"The M1 is more about how much processing and innovation there is in the market. This is an opportunity to innovate more, both in hardware and software, and it goes beyond the ISA," Su said. "From our standpoint, there is still innovation in the PC space - we have lots of choices and people can use the same processors in a lot of different environments. We expect to see more specialization as we go forward over the next couple of years, and it enables more differentiation. But Apple continues to work with us as their graphics partner, and we work with them."

Back