Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

@CaseySJ "With standard DisplayPort and HDMI monitors, these systems work very well on “regular” computing tasks, even software development with Xcode." I was under the impression that DP and HDMI provided by the motherboard of AMD based boards are a no go with Hackintosh. Do you mean to tell this is not the case with your board? If so is that this particular board, or is it valid for all X570/B550 boards that offer DP and/or HDMI?
That statement is referring to monitors with DP and HDMI inputs as opposed to Thunderbolt monitors. The signal is actually generated by a discrete AMD GPU (not on-board APU).

Last edited:
@xtreem.p You mentioned the ASrock X570 (Phantom gaming ITX). I would love to go to Ryzen, however compared to the ASRock Z490 this X570 motherboard seems to be much lighter weight when it comes to connectivity. (USB3.2, 2.5Gb ethernet, 2 NVME). Some of these constraints can be tackled by using a docking station. Did you try this connected to the ASrock TB port? If I can do 2 times 4K@60 external monitor, I can use the PCI slot for 2.5Gbit ethernet (and 10Gb in the future).
Hi, no i have not tried it since i do not have the equipment to try it with .. :(

Hello @CaseySJ Hello all :)

I have a question with the SSDT to rename XCH0> XHC (GP13). If I use your SSDT with my ASUS ROG Strix x570 E-Gaming motherboard, I have a problem. Sleep / Wake does not work.

Without the SSDT to rename, Sleep / Wake works. The SSDT renames perfectly. If I use this SSDT do I have to do the USBMap too? Thanks for your fantastic job! I'm on Big Sur 11.1

Attachments

• XHC0-XHC1.jpg
    XHC0-XHC1.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 48
  • XHC0-CM-AsusX570.jpg
    XHC0-CM-AsusX570.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 44
Hey All-

Eyeballing a b550 with a 5950x when availability comes back. Did anyone get the 5950x working in this setup? Also are there enough PCIe lanes for GPU, 10gbe PCIe card, 1 sata drive, 1 m.2 drive and TB3 audio interface as well as TB3 Dock (USB ports)? I don't really do anything GPU intensive, is it possible to limit the graphics card to 8 lanes in BIOS if needed?

I know that the ryzentosh has been not recommended with advanced audio interfaces (using Focusrite Red 8Pre). I'm looking at some early extrapolated benchmarks that show 5950x/b550 v.d (in win) likely significantly outperforming M1 for a key aspect of my use (low latency, single core loads). This is extrapolated though for the comparison, and I'd like to get a 5950x rig myself to both see if I can live with windows in the studio, see how it runs as a hack and make some comparisons myself. IOW if I can't get it working on OSX at pro-stability levels that's OK...But obviously if it doesn't have enough PCIe lanes, that's an issue.

Thanks

Hello @CaseySJ Hello all :)

I have a question with the SSDT to rename XCH0> XHC (GP13). If I use your SSDT with my ASUS ROG Strix x570 E-Gaming motherboard, I have a problem. Sleep / Wake does not work.

Without the SSDT to rename, Sleep / Wake works. The SSDT renames perfectly. If I use this SSDT do I have to do the USBMap too? Thanks for your fantastic job! I'm on Big Sur 11.1
Hello @superdskkkkkk,

Because each motherboard implements USB controllers and USB ports differently, the SSDT for B550 Vision D is unfortunately not compatible with other boards.

Whereas Intel-based motherboards typically have one USB controller, AMD-based motherboards typically have two or three USB controllers! This makes the USB port mapping task more difficult.

On AMD motherboards, USB controllers often have these names:
  • PTXH
  • XHC0
  • XHC1
  • XHC2
Other names are also possible. So we have to examine IORegistryExplorer (or IOReg) to first discover all of the USB controller names and then insert a USB 2 and a USB 2 disk into each USB port to enumerate the active USB ports on each USB controller.

Because you've looked at the SSDT and Kext for B550 Vision D, you can see how this process is done. So the answer to your question is:
  • We need to adapt or customize the USB SSDT (this renames USB controllers)
  • We also need to adapt or customize the USBPorts kext
  • However, if you do not need to rename USB controllers, then USBPorts kext by itself may be sufficient
    • How to determine if you need to rename USB controllers?
      • Easy answer: First start with only the USBPorts kext. If sleep fails, then see if there is a XHC0 USB controller. If so, use SSDT to rename it to XHC or XHC1 or XHC2 as long as the name is unique.

Hey All-

Eyeballing a b550 with a 5950x when availability comes back. Did anyone get the 5950x working in this setup? Also are there enough PCIe lanes for GPU, 10gbe PCIe card, 1 sata drive, 1 m.2 drive and TB3 audio interface as well as TB3 Dock (USB ports)? I don't really do anything GPU intensive, is it possible to limit the graphics card to 8 lanes in BIOS if needed?

I know that the ryzentosh has been not recommended with advanced audio interfaces (using Focusrite Red 8Pre). I'm looking at some early extrapolated benchmarks that show 5950x/b550 v.d (in win) likely significantly outperforming M1 for a key aspect of my use (low latency, single core loads). This is extrapolated though for the comparison, and I'd like to get a 5950x rig myself to both see if I can live with windows in the studio, see how it runs as a hack and make some comparisons myself. IOW if I can't get it working on OSX at pro-stability levels that's OK...But obviously if it doesn't have enough PCIe lanes, that's an issue.

Thanks
Hello @RyanC,

From @xtreem.p's experience we know that Ryzen 5 5600X and Ryzen 9 5950X will work, but with the B550 Vision D they produce some audio stuttering that has not yet been resolved. Hopefully new kernel patches might fix this, but the stuttering does not occur on other B550 boards such as those from ASRock.

There are a sufficient number of PCIe lanes for GPU, 10GbE add-in-card, two M.2 SSDs, and several SATA SSDs. Thunderbolt 3 interface works, but some audio interfaces might be a bit finicky.

The M.2 slot closest to the CPU supports PCIe 4.0, hence my Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 is producing read/write times of 4000 MB/s.

Hello @RyanC,

From @xtreem.p's experience we know that Ryzen 5 5600X and Ryzen 9 5950X will work, but with the B550 Vision D they produce some audio stuttering that has not yet been resolved. Hopefully new kernel patches might fix this, but the stuttering does not occur on other B550 boards such as those from ASRock.

There are a sufficient number of PCIe lanes for GPU, 10GbE add-in-card, two M.2 SSDs, and several SATA SSDs. Thunderbolt 3 interface works, but some audio interfaces might be a bit finicky.

The M.2 slot closest to the CPU supports PCIe 4.0, hence my Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 is producing read/write times of 4000 MB/s.
Thanks-

Is there anything supporting 5950x and TB3 that approaches golden build status for DAW use?

I'm seeing some early benchmarks that put the 5950x at roughly double the performance of M1 and quadruple of 7980xe for low latency monitoring capacity (using the b550 v.d)- these are extrapolated though, and I like to put a system together myself. I'm not determined to stay on OSX, but I'd prefer to stay on OSX if it is possible- but I would switch to win if those performance levels pan out and I can't get it running cleanly on OSX. I would like to get the parts that are most likely to be viable for OSX so I can give it a shot.

Edit to add that TB hotplug isn't very important to me, any situation that requires a cold boot to reconnect to TB is actually worse than non-functioning hotplug- My computers are in a AC controlled cabinet that requires a ladder to access, so cold booting is PITA. Thanks

Last edited:
Hello @RyanC,

The latest patches have fixed and caused the audio stuttering. The last few patches for fixPAT are duplicated. One is from Algrey, the other from Shaneee. It is advised to disable one of the patches. Test to see which one gives the best result.

The latest patches have fixed and caused the audio stuttering. The last few patches for fixPAT are duplicated. One is from Algrey, the other from Shaneee. It is advised to disable one of the patches. Test to see which one gives the best result.
Awesome!

Testing the latest patches right now with default Algrey "fix PAT" enabled. Although this is with Ryzen 7 3700X, the previous (experimental) patches garbled the audio. The latest patches (which I'm testing now) are in the non-experimental branch and are newer than those in the experimental branch.

Will include these patches next week with the OpenCore 0.6.5 release.

Awesome!

Testing the latest patches right now with default Algrey "fix PAT" enabled. Although this is with Ryzen 7 3700X, the previous (experimental) patches garbled the audio. The latest patches (which I'm testing now) are in the non-experimental branch and are newer than those in the experimental branch.

Will include these patches next week with the OpenCore 0.6.5 release.
Hi! Thanks for the excellent guide. Is there a Gigabyte 550 board that is identical, minus the Thunderbolt? Thanks

Back