Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

The supplemental procedure depends on the following:
  • If we disconnect the Vcc pin from the SOIC clip, we must still supply power to the chip by turning on the PSU in the computer case.
  • If we connect the Vcc pin to the SOIC clip (i.e. supply our own power), we must then turn off the PSU in the computer case.
In both cases the chip receives power on its Vcc pin. If we attempt to flash the chip without connecting any power source, then this can leave the chip in an unknown state.
(I'll use quotes to highlight my non-technical terms of understanding here)
It would appear that the 'read' function worked because the chip was in a 'passive' state with enough 3.3v on pins 3 and 7 to 'allow' the backup to be pulled 3x. But a 'write' function needs the full proper power applied to the VCC pin.

Last edited:
(I'll use quotes to highlight my non-technical terms of understanding here)
It would appear that the 'read' function worked because the chip was in a 'passive' state with enough 3.3v on pins 3 and 7 to 'allow' the backup to be pulled 3x. But a 'write' function needs the full proper power applied to the VCC pin.
Something like that?
Correct. We can get away with a read operation without supplying power to Vcc. But when it comes to writing, the chip needs full power!

I won't publicly state what my next steps will be, but on a completely different subject, it's nice that retailers are extending return periods during the holidays, isn't it?
:banghead:

Hmm... See no evil. Hear no evil. Speak no evil.

@hoeveler

I see that you gave my reply a "Like", but I think you misunderstood and I did not make myself clear. My statement about seeing no evil meant that you're asking us to "see no evil" -- i.e. to look the other way.

You must take financial responsibility for damage that occurred willfully. Returning an item under these circumstance is wrong and we do not condone such behavior. If the chip does not work, you must keep the bad board or sell it privately (thru eBay for example) with full disclosure of what's not working.

@hoeveler

I see that you gave my reply a "Like", but I think you misunderstood and I did not make myself clear. My statement about seeing no evil meant that you're asking us to "see no evil" -- i.e. to look the other way.

You must take financial responsibility for damage that occurred willfully. Returning an item under these circumstance is wrong and we do not condone such behavior. If the chip does not work, you must keep the bad board or sell it privately (thru eBay for example) with full disclosure of what's not working.
Oh, my apologies. I did not mean for you to look the other way. I have taken responsibility, and fully disclosed what happened with the seller. Fortunately this particular seller was able to accept my exchange for a fee rather than charging me full price.

@CaseySJ, Update for the problem with sound through Thunderbolt 3 UAD Arrow.
I came at my friend's along with my PC to test the Arrow card on my system with a Titan Ridge PCI 2.0 and everything works fine. So the problem should be the Motherboard ? or the CPU ? Any ideas ? Oh my friend is so sad..

@CaseySJ, Update for the problem with sound through Thunderbolt 3 UAD Arrow.
I came at my friend's along with my PC to test the Arrow card on my system with a Titan Ridge PCI 2.0 and everything works fine. So the problem should be the Motherboard ? or the CPU ? Any ideas ? Oh my friend is so sad..
From my early tests with my Apollo Twin Duo, BIOS F10 and 2nd Gen Zen works fine. I started seeing audio issues after upgrading to Ryzen 5000 series CPU. Also worse in combination Zen 3 and F11 BIOS's where USB ports get wonky.

From my early tests with my Apollo Twin Duo, BIOS F10 and 2nd Gen Zen works fine. I started seeing audio issues after upgrading to Ryzen 5000 series CPU. Also worse in combination Zen 3 and F11 BIOS's where USB ports get wonky.
Ι believe it has to do something with CPU volts and VSOC volts, because, when I put them on turbo, the problem still exist, but is better and without so many glitches. Also, I try with custom CPU volt and custom VSOC volt without any success.

Hi CaseySJ, is there a way to use Nvidia GT 710 instead of AMD card? GT 710 is fully supported on Big Sur according to other forums and on my Vision G Z490 built. I tried to remove any AMD Radeon related entries from you 0.64 EFI folder but no luck. Can you please give me some guide?

The other issue I have is my Adata SX8200 Pro NVMe boot drive shows in orange/external drive. is there a fix for that?

Thank you so much!

Hi CaseySJ, is there a way to use Nvidia GT 710 instead of AMD card? GT 710 is fully supported on Big Sur according to other forums and on my Vision G Z490 built. I tried to remove any AMD Radeon related entries from you 0.64 EFI folder but no luck. Can you please give me some guide?

The other issue I have is my Adata SX8200 Pro NVMe boot drive shows in orange/external drive. is there a fix for that?

Thank you so much!
Hello @liyawolf,

Some questions and comments:
  • Are you trying to use GT 710 on B550 Vision D?
  • If so, there are no AMD Radeon-specific settings in the config.plist, but it may be a good idea to remove agdpmod=pikera from NVRAM --> Boot-Args.
  • The GT 710 is natively supported in macOS, so it should just work.
Regarding the ADATA SX8200 Pro, please do this:
  • Edit your config.plist in OpenCore Configurator.
  • Go to the DeviceProperties page and change the indicated PCI Device Address to:
    • PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x2)/Pci(0x0,0x2)/Pci(0x4,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
  • Then save and reboot.
  • Does the SSD icon appear correctly now?
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 12.10.28 PM.png

Last edited:
thanks CaseySJ! I tried without touching your EFI folder and did delete agdpmod=pikera from NVRAM --> Boot-Args. none of them works. can you please advise!
IMG_20201217_161848.jpg

Back