Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

@xtreem.p @JimmakoS

OpenCore 0.6.4 contains a fix for CPU frequency calculation on AMD 19h family. AMD 19h happens to be Zen 3. Wanna give it a try? (ZIP file is in the post below.)
  • Please use a USB flash disk.
  • Do not use OpenCore Configurator because it does not support OpenCore 0.6.4 Release Version and it will introduce an error in the config.plist.
  • To transfer your serial numbers from existing config.plist into the new one, please try HackinDROM. Use the CopyConfig option from the bottom dock.
    • A new version of OpenCore Configurator should come out soon.

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 9.29.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 9.16.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 9.16.11 AM.png

Last edited:
Thx.. the paths are correct and hotplug working, but it didn't solve the shutdown issue. If I remove the TB3 SSDT, then it shuts down like normal. "Sighs"
@xtreem.p Does TB3 continue to work after Sleep & Wake for you?

** OpenCore 0.6.4 EFI for B550 Vision D **
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Requires OpenCore Configurator 2.18.1.0 or Newer
(this version has not yet been released so use HackinDROM as described below)

The formal release of OpenCore 0.6.4 has arrived, along with an update of VirtualSMC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC.

This EFI contains the following changes:

Bootloader / Kexts:
All of the items listed below are official builds.
  • OpenCore 0.6.4
  • VirtualSMC 1.1.9
  • Lilu 1.5.0
  • WhateverGreen 1.4.5
  • AppleALC 1.5.5
config.plist Changes:
  • UEFI --> Audio --> PlayChime --> Auto (this allows System Preferences --> Sound to control the boot chime)Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 10.15.49 AM.png
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled (change to Default for OpenIntelWireless)
How to Use:
  1. Find a USB flash disk with an EFI partition, or format the USB flash disk in Disk Utility with Scheme = GUID Partition Map and Format = MacOS Extended (Journaled).
  2. Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  3. Download the attached ZIP into the top level of the EFI partition of the USB flash disk. When the file is unzipped, there will be a folder called EFI-064-B550-VISION-D.
  4. Rename this folder to EFI, otherwise the system will not boot.
  5. Use HackinDROM to transfer PlatformInfo from existing OpenCore config.plist to new version. Please follow the guide by clicking here and referring to the screenshot below.
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 9.29.26 AM.png
After the modified config.plist has been copied to the EFI/OC folder of the USB flash disk, proceed as follows:
  1. Reboot and press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen. When the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker) appears, select the USB flash disk.
  2. Warning: It is necessary to reset NVRAM one time prior to booting macOS. This can be done by pressing spacebar at the OpenCore Picker and choosing Reset NVRAM. On multi-boot systems, select the default startup disk in System Preferences --> Startup Disk.
  3. At the OpenCore 0.6.4 Picker menu, select and boot the internal macOS disk.
  4. If everything works correctly, copy the new OpenCore EFI folder from the USB flash disk to the EFI partition of the main macOS SSD.
CAUTION:
  • If you are using a custom Thunderbolt SSDT or any other custom SSDTs or Kexts, please update your config.plist accordingly.

Attachments

• EFI-064-B550-VISION-D.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 100
@xtreem.p @JimmakoS

OpenCore 0.6.4 contains a fix for CPU frequency calculation on AMD 19h family. AMD 19h happens to be Zen 3. Wanna give it a try? (ZIP file is in the post below.)
  • Please use a USB flash disk.
  • Do not use OpenCore Configurator because it does not support OpenCore 0.6.4 Release Version and it will introduce an error in the config.plist.
  • To transfer your serial numbers from existing config.plist into the new one, please try HackinDROM. Use the CopyConfigoption from the bottom dock.
    • A new version of OpenCore Configurator should come out soon.

View attachment 500151

View attachment 500148
View attachment 500147

Thanks for your answer but my friend uses ZEN 2 - 3600 cpu.

Also we try 0.6.4 and still the same problem with UAD Arrow sound ( choppy, cranking).

It's like the hole pc stuttering if we move the mouse cursor or randomly.

I think that it has to do something with the cpu frequency.

Last edited:
At this time I would not recommend this system for audio production because of some lingering problems with stuttering or garbled playback. The Z490 Vision D is a more reliable option.
Indeed, otherwise price wise... an option that im still rocking is the Z390 Designare also CaseySJs baby. It has gone down tremendously in price and you can rock the 9900K for USD 300+ well and above for audio. For me, I'll be rocking the Z390 for years to come until macOS only runs on M1 SoC.

Indeed, otherwise price wise... an option that im still rocking is the Z390 Designare also CaseySJs baby. It has gone down tremendously in price and you can rock the 9900K for USD 300+ well and above for audio. For me, ill be rocking the Z390 for years to come until macOS only runs on M1 SoC.
I'm sure you've seen this report by Bloomberg:
A small factor Mac Pro with a 12-core or 16-core Apple Silicon processor and Apple-designed discrete GPU might be coming in early 2022, and going as high as 32 cores on some models.

But new iMacs and laptops coming next year.

LOL... Apple has the dough to dominate everything if Antitrust Laws werent in place...

Thanks for testing. Since it's a Cinema4D-related error, I think you're right that your older GPU might be the culprit.

Given that Ploddles had better luck, I'm still encouraged enough to give building my own machine a try.
First of all, thank you SO much for such a detailed Golden Build guide. I read from beginning to end 3x before starting (then I clicked my ruby heels for good luck) - so far everything is running flawlessly. I have done everything except for the TB3 chip flash, which I intend to do tomorrow after my chip clip arrives.
I am currently running After Effects, rendering a heavy project (8k 360 output), and it's handling well. In fact I forgot all about the need for opening Adobe apps using the patches. I haven't added this build to my profile yet, but I'm running an AMD Radeon RX 5700XT GPU, so I might be having better experiences than others due to my beefy GPU. Is it possible the patches are only necessary for lower-powered (less than 2GB VRAM) GPUs?

Back