Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

I would be interested to see if a Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 2 device connects automatically on warm boot (i.e. a device that uses the PCIe lanes of Thunderbolt instead of the USB and DisplayPort lanes).

@CaseySJ

No, I'm not getting audio/video over TB2 when the DP In is not connected to the RX 580, under any boot conditions or hot plug.

@rj510 @Ploddles

Are you able to run Adobe Photoshop 2020 reliably and repeatably on your Threadripper or Ryzen systems?

@CaseySJ

No, I'm not getting audio/video over TB2 when the DP In is not connected to the RX 580, under any boot conditions or hot plug.
Sorry, what I meant was: Do you have other Thunderbolt 3 devices that are not monitors? If so, do they connect on warm reboot?

** OpenCore 0.6.2 EFI for B550 Vision D **
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Requires OpenCore Configurator 2.15.1.0 or Newer

NOTE: There is a bug in 2.15.0.0 that adds DummyPowerManagement into Kernel Quirks. Please use 2.15.1.0 or newer.​

The formal release of OpenCore 0.6.2 has arrived, along with an update of nearly all other Acidanthera kexts. This guide includes the latest boot loader and kexts.

This EFI contains the following changes:

Bootloader / Kexts:
All of the items listed below are official builds.
  • OpenCore 0.6.2
  • VirtualSMC 1.1.7
  • Lilu 1.4.8
  • WhateverGreen 1.4.3
  • AppleALC 1.5.3
  • NVMeFix 1.0.4
  • USBInjectAll 0.7.6 (supports iMac20,1 and iMac20,2)
config.plist Changes:
  • Kernel --> ExtendBTFeatureFlags --> True
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled

How to Use:
  1. Find a USB flash disk with an EFI partition, or format the USB flash disk in Disk Utility with Scheme = GUID Partition Map and Format = MacOS Extended (Journaled).
  2. Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  3. Download the attached ZIP into the top level of the EFI partition of the USB flash disk. When the file is unzipped, there will be a folder called OC-062-VISION-D.
  4. Rename this folder to EFI, otherwise the system will not boot.
  5. Inside the EFI/OC subfolder is config.plist.
  6. Open this config.plist in OpenCore Configurator version 2.15.1.0 or later.
  7. From OpenCore Configurator's File --> Preferences, select Official --> OC 0.6.2 Release Version as shown:
    Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 6.12.01 PM.png445697-61f1b2fadaa0146918a28834215609af.png
  8. Click on PlatformInfo --> DataHub - Generic - PlatformNVRAM and copy/paste existing serial numbers and UUID into the fields shown in red.
    • Use Hackintool to copy existing values:
      Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.33.52 PM.png
    • And paste them here one by one:
      Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 6.12.36 PM.png
  9. Save the file.
  10. Reboot and press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen. When the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker) appears, select the USB flash disk.
  11. Warning: It may be necessary to reset NVRAM one time prior to booting macOS. This can be done by pressing spacebar at the OpenCore Picker and choosing Reset NVRAM. On multi-boot systems, select the default startup disk in System Preferences --> Startup Disk.
  12. At the OpenCore 0.6.2 Picker menu, select and boot the internal macOS disk.
  13. If everything works correctly, copy the new OpenCore EFI folder from the USB flash disk to the EFI partition of the main macOS SSD.
Updates:
  • 08 Oct 2020: Those wanting to use all USB 2.0 ports, RGB Fusion 2.0, and the internal M.2 slot with BCM94360NG card may use the newly added EFI-062-GA-B550-VISION-D-NO-SLEEP.zip. However, sleep and wake will not work.

Attachments

• EFI-062-GA-B550-VISION-D.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 124
  • EFI-062-GA-B550-VISION-D-NO-SLEEP.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Sorry, what I meant was: Do you have other Thunderbolt 3 devices that are not monitors? If so, do they connect on warm reboot?

@CaseySJ

I have two TB3 external enclosures with SSD drives. One of the first things I did when I booted this B550 the very first time was to check how TB3 worked without flashing. I duplicated your findings and these TB3 drives showed up on hot plug and warm boot. (This was with Catalina 10.15.6, and OC 0.6.1)

TODAY after using the TB3 port to drive my TB2 display yesterday, and unplugging the display and using HDMI, neither of my TB3 external drives will mount! (I tried both Big Sur public beta, and Catalina with OC 0.6.2)

Thinking I may have messed up some OC settings, I went back to my very first OC 0.6.1 EFI backup with both Big Sur public beta, and Catalina and still no TB3 drive mounting.

I confirmed that TB is still enabled in BIOS. I confirmed my TB display still works so the ports are working. I attempted to reset CMOS by shorting the two pins on the board several times, but the board never acted like the reset had worked. I loaded the BIOS "Optimized Defaults" and tweaked them as needed. I also loaded my saved BIOS settings. I also flipped BIOS setting for TB to OFF, rebooted, then flipped the setting for TB back ON, and that didn't change anything.

I'll next remove the CMOS battery to see if that makes any difference.

Both TB3 drives mount on my Z390 Designare (Flashed) without problem, so they are working properly.

It's going to take more investigation to figure out why TB3 is currently not working with my external drives.

I don't think I'm dreaming about my initial success with the TB3 drives, because I was happy to find out I didn't need to flash the TB chip. :(

@CaseySJ

I have two TB3 external enclosures with SSD drives. One of the first things I did when I booted this B550 the very first time was to check how TB3 worked without flashing. I duplicated your findings and these TB3 drives showed up on hot plug and warm boot. (This was with Catalina 10.15.6, and OC 0.6.1)

TODAY after using the TB3 port to drive my TB2 display yesterday, and unplugging the display and using HDMI, neither of my TB3 external drives will mount! (I tried both Big Sur public beta, and Catalina with OC 0.6.2)

Thinking I may have messed up some OC settings, I went back to my very first OC 0.6.1 EFI backup with both Big Sur public beta, and Catalina and still no TB3 drive mounting.

I confirmed that TB is still enabled in BIOS. I confirmed my TB display still works so the ports are working. I attempted to reset CMOS by shorting the two pins on the board several times, but the board never acted like the reset had worked. I loaded the BIOS "Optimized Defaults" and tweaked them as needed. I also loaded my saved BIOS settings. I also flipped BIOS setting for TB to OFF, rebooted, then flipped the setting for TB back ON, and that didn't change anything.

I'll next remove the CMOS battery to see if that makes any difference.

Both TB3 drives mount on my Z390 Designare (Flashed) without problem, so they are working properly.

It's going to take more investigation to figure out why TB3 is currently not working with my external drives.

I don't think I'm dreaming about my initial success with the TB3 drives, because I was happy to find out I didn't need to flash the TB chip. :(
Some questions:
  • What is the make/model of the TB3 external enclosures?
  • Do they work when hot-plugged?
  • Do they work when pre-connected on a cold boot?

Some questions:
  • What is the make/model of the TB3 external enclosures?
  • Do they work when hot-plugged?
  • Do they work when pre-connected on a cold boot?

@CaseySJ

#1 - "TEKQ Cube 120G Thunderbolt 3 External NVMe SSD Support Thunderbolt 3 Bus Powered, Portable (NOT Compatible with Device Without Thunderbolt 3 Interface) Easy Replace Other SSD (120G, Silver)" (No obvious part number)

#2 - "Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 Certified M.2 NVMe SSD Tool-Free Solid Aluminum Enclosure" (Part number EC-T3NS)

I have installed a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO SSDs in each.

With my Flashed z390 Designare both mount when hot plugged, and both mount when pre-connected on cold boot.

My recollection is that originally both mounted when hot plugged, and both mounted when warm booted in my non-flashed B550. I don't think either mounted from a pre-connected cold boot.

Perhaps my recollection is wrong. I finally got the CMOS reset by pulling the battery, loaded "Optimized Defaults", changed the several BIOS settings, and used your latest EFI for OC 0.6.2 with modifications, since I still have the WiFi/Bluetooth card replacement installed which you originally suggested for this build.

Neither of the TB3 external drives mounts with hot plug, warm boot or cold boot.

I'm going to sleep on this as nothing I have tried is working today! :(

EDIT =====================

Well my recollection of the early stages of this build, and whether or not TB3 was working, is correct. On both Drives #1 and #2 above, I have B550 backups. So TB3 was working early on.

What has changed? 1) The initial setup was done using an external USB 3 drive and Catalina 10.15.6, and OC 0.6.1. 2) I had also not installed the internal Sabrent Rocket SSD.

What are the chances that the change in Catalina software OR the installation of the Sabrent Rocket had any effect on the TB3 external drives not mounting under any circumstances?

These are the SSDT's I'm loading. I don't want to disable internal WiFi since I'm using your originally recommended WiFi/BT card. What am I missing?

SSDTS.png

Kernel.png

Thanks for any input. I'll keep experimenting!

Last edited:
15 minutes to go!

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 8.43.21 AM.png

19% better IPC (instructions per clock)
32MB shared cache across all cores
Leading performance per watt -- 2.8x more efficient than Intel i9-10900K

Ryzen 9 5900X ($549)

• 12-cores, 24-threads
  • 105W TDP
  • 4.8 GHz boost
  • Double-digit performance improvement in games compare to Ryzen 9 3900XT
  • Average of 26% better in games over Ryzen 9 3900XT
  • Just by swapping the CPU in existing motherboards
  • Cinebench 1T i9-10900K: 544
  • Cinebench 1T Ryzen 9 5900X: 631
Ryzen 7 5800X ($449)
  • 8 cores, 16 threads
  • 4.7 GHz boost
  • 105W TDP
Ryzen 5 3600X ($299)
  • 6 cores, 12 threads
  • 4.6 GHz boost
  • 65W TDP
Ryzen 9 5950X ($799)
  • Flagship
  • 16 cores, 32 threads
  • 105W TDP
  • 4.9 GHz boost
Available November 5.

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 10.01.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 10.02.12 AM.png

Last edited:
@NCMacGuy,

On AMD motherboards, weird things can happen to ACPI when both NVMe SSD slots are occupied. Are both slots occupied now on your system?

If so, please run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the IOReg file.

P.S. I've added a new OpenCore 0.6.2 ZIP with the configuration needed to use all USB 2.0 ports, the internal M.2 socket for BCM94360NG, and RGB Fusion 2.0 at the expense of sleep/wake.

Last edited:
Big Navi sneak peak!
  • Borderlands 3 at 4K Badass Quality -- 61 FPS avg
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare at 4K Ultra Quality -- 88 FPS
  • Gears of War 5 at 4K Ultra Quality -- 73 FPS

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 9.37.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 9.37.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 9.39.12 AM.png

Back